LegacyGT.com

Cincy05LGT's 2005 LGT Build

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons of vids on YouTube for removing the housing, not difficult at all.
Wish I would have tried harder yesterday to get it off. Just a few taps and it fell right off. That made holding it in the vice easier and I was able to finish milling out the stud. Now the plan is to use an oversized 14mm helicoil to get it back to m10x1.25. f46b8f5455a51abe8a3610cedbfbc303.jpg7f303afc38abd149a4664fcf5b7e0cce.jpgcb5b16317bfb7f521b2a4a99e3e22852.jpg

Nicely done.

While it's apart don't forget that painting the housing makes your car go faster.

I wish I could justify Swain tech or jet hot ceramic coatings, but that just isn't in the cards right now. Anybody have experience with VHT paint or similar? I plan on reusing the PTP thermal turbo blanket and Cobb heat shield.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I could justify Swain tech or jet hot ceramic coatings, but that just isn't in the cards right now. Anybody have experience with VHT paint or similar? I plan on reusing the PTP thermal turbo blanket and Cobb heat shield.

I did a VHT black ceramic paint on my turbine housing, held up for a year without chipping or cracking before I put a blanket on top. Probably still fine underneath. Whether it actually does any good at holding in temps, dunno!

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

Quick update, I was able to finish the thread repair after removing the exhaust housing. New exhaust gaskets and stainless hardware showed up today so everything should be back together in short order. Since I had a heat shield rattle on the last drive, I decided to completely remove the oem header heat shields (they were barely hanging on). I think I'll DEI titanium wrap the crossover pipe as a precaution to protect the close proximity oil line.ec4229e73e11182d5b4e3ee978e8d4a2.jpg

Fired it up today after a fresh change with Motul. Damn that anti sieze takes awhile to quit smoking. I only drove slowly around the neighborhood to let the ECU settle in at idle and parked it again, but tomorrow I'll bust out the laptop and do some logging. I do have one nagging concern: the exhaust has NO flex section whatsoever and feels VERY rigid, and that may be bad for overstressing flanged connections. I'm considering doing the donut gasket and spring bolts at the catback connection, but for now it's solidly bolted together with a 3" gasket.

Fired it up today after a fresh change with Motul. Damn that anti sieze takes awhile to quit smoking. I only drove slowly around the neighborhood to let the ECU settle in at idle and parked it again, but tomorrow I'll bust out the laptop and do some logging. I do have one nagging concern: the exhaust has NO flex section whatsoever and feels VERY rigid, and that may be bad for overstressing flanged connections. I'm considering doing the donut gasket and spring bolts at the catback connection, but for now it's solidly bolted together with a 3" gasket.

It's fine, as long as you have it connect to the rubber hangers. I had to take out my springs and hard bolted the donut section together, had no issues.

My wife's balls are delicious.

It's fine, as long as you have it connect to the rubber hangers. I had to take out my springs and hard bolted the donut section together, had no issues.

I don't have those springs on either car. No issues so far.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cleared the cataracts and applied a meguiars UV protectant coating. I'll be putting some commuting miles on it over the next few weeks to make sure everything is kosher, then I'll check bolt torques again just to be safe.d1e26128a7ef7cfdf2af0a9d15a52dd3.jpg

FWIW, I open the hood when I do the head lights.
I've done it both ways and prefer keeping the polishing compound from flinging into the engine bay.

In other news, I heard a front CV axle clicking under hard cornering at lunch -_-. Is it worth the bucks to buy oem or should I keep buying remans?

Edited by Cincy05LGT

• 2 weeks later...
Toast turbo being the one in your profile pic?

Yep. Although, I just used my borescope and a wire coat hanger to reach through the inlet and was able to spin the compressor wheel... Weird. Either the bearing was oil starved enough to affect the shaft speed at high rpm, or something else is going on with wastegate control.

Edited by Cincy05LGT