LegacyGT.com

Growing tired of the Spec. B.... Crazy to trade for a WRX?

Mulling around ideas in my head lately about trading off my Spec. B for a near-new WRX. The more I drive it, the more I don't enjoy it. The car as a whole is great, gobs of power, wicked clean... there are a few things that bother me about it tho.

I hate how the 6-speed operates. It's majorly clunky / rough taking off from a stop, and it's difficult to keep smooth in slow-drive conditions. For some reason it feels like there's play in the clutch, and the firewall cracks each time I hit the brake or clutch. I can't seem to warm up to the Bilsteins, either. They're new all around, and I put Tein H-Tech's on them (and maybe that was an issue) but they ride terrible. There's also a clunk in the front strut I can't rid. I put Cusco sways and the handling improved mildly. I had KYB's and Subaru springs on my 2.5i before it w/ stock sways, and I loved the way that thing handled.

I'm itching for creature comforts... It's a pain in the ass to put an aftermarket radio in my for bluetooth, due to the factory NAV (which is terrible) and digial dual-zone climate control. I often take trips to the city as well, and this car proves downright uncomfortable (driving wise) in city traffic and on rough roads. I don't do it a ton, but enough that it bothers me.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe I'm tired of working on it, I'm not sure. It's got all the go-fast goodies like I said, makes great power, but a big part of me wants a change. I'm in a position financially to get into a near-new WRX without a payment - that's why I'm considering it.

The big question: Am I crazy?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mulling around ideas in my head lately about trading off my Spec. B for a near-new WRX. The more I drive it, the more I don't enjoy it. The car as a whole is great, gobs of power, wicked clean... there are a few things that bother me about it tho.

allow me to help in a few areas

I hate how the 6-speed operates. It's majorly clunky / rough taking off from a stop, and it's difficult to keep smooth in slow-drive conditions. For some reason it feels like there's play in the clutch, and the firewall cracks each time I hit the brake or clutch.

its a 10yo car now so things will get a little creaky. have you considered a master cylinder brace. it may solve your issue outright. FWIW, most will prefer the 6mt in your car tot he 6mt in the wrx since yours is derived from the STI and is bulletproof.

I can't seem to warm up to the Bilsteins, either. They're new all around, and I put Tein H-Tech's on them (and maybe that was an issue) but they ride terrible. There's also a clunk in the front strut I can't rid. I put Cusco sways and the handling improved mildly. I had KYB's and Subaru springs on my 2.5i before it w/ stock sways, and I loved the way that thing handled.

h-techs suck. period. a different more quality spring will make a difference and be better matched to the Bils. Are you sure the cluck is from the strut and not your aftermarket bars? sway bar u-brackets are know to be crappy. energy suspension universal sway bar brackets are much better than what usually comes with an aftermarket bar or stock and my solve the noise issue. again, h-techs suck. also, tires play a big role in handling too. are you running some discount crap? ;)

I'm itching for creature comforts... It's a pain in the ass to put an aftermarket radio in my for bluetooth, due to the factory NAV (which is terrible) and digial dual-zone climate control. I often take trips to the city as well, and this car proves downright uncomfortable (driving wise) in city traffic and on rough roads. I don't do it a ton, but enough that it bothers me.

of course, 10yo tech is 10yo tech, but have you looked in to the grom audio kits that add BT to the factory radio? i think you should put the factory springs back in the car since you are concerned mostly with comfort.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe I'm tired of working on it, I'm not sure. It's got all the go-fast goodies like I said, makes great power, but a big part of me wants a change. I'm in a position financially to get into a near-new WRX without a payment - that's why I'm considering it.

The big question: Am I crazy?

you are not crazy. the newer WRX is essentially the same car the 4gen LGT was for all intents and purposes, and no one would blame you for the switch. that being said, there is a certain appeal, class and maturity to the 4th gen, spec b in particular, that can be ignored or replicated in the wrx. the spec b can still be a car for the modern day with the right things. but as i said int he beginning, a 10yo car is still a 10yo car.

allow me to help in a few areas

its a 10yo car now so things will get a little creaky. have you considered a master cylinder brace. it may solve your issue outright. FWIW, most will prefer the 6mt in your car tot he 6mt in the wrx since yours is derived from the STI and is bulletproof.

Would a master cylinder brace resolve a creaky clutch release? First gear start from a stop sounds something in the clutch linkage is bouncing around or hitting something... I've got a brand new ACT Stage 2 in it.

h-techs suck. period. a different more quality spring will make a difference and be better matched to the Bils. Are you sure the cluck is from the strut and not your aftermarket bars? sway bar u-brackets are know to be crappy. energy suspension universal sway bar brackets are much better than what usually comes with an aftermarket bar or stock and my solve the noise issue. again, h-techs suck. also, tires play a big role in handling too. are you running some discount crap? ;)

I'm running my snows, which are new Blizzaks, but I've had various sets of tires on it. The front end made noise before I upgraded sways. When I did the sways I did bushings and stabs as well.

The H-Tech's are terrible, I'll give you that. I hate them, I hate the stance, etc.

of course, 10yo tech is 10yo tech, but have you looked in to the grom audio kits that add BT to the factory radio? i think you should put the factory springs back in the car since you are concerned mostly with comfort.

I've seen the factory add-on kits, and I have considered them. When I got the car I had to pull the transmission because the PO failed to mention the front diff was smoked, and I'm honestly mostly just growing tired of working on this thing above all else. Fun fact, I still have a spare 6-speed on the bench w/ an STI diff in it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a full service shop complete w/ dyno, so some say that it's an invalid complaint, but it wears on you none-the-less.

you are not crazy. the newer WRX is essentially the same car the 4gen LGT was for all intents and purposes, and no one would blame you for the switch. that being said, there is a certain appeal, class and maturity to the 4th gen, spec b in particular, that can be ignored or replicated in the wrx. the spec b can still be a car for the modern day with the right things. but as i said int he beginning, a 10yo car is still a 10yo car.

My last complaint is that power delivery is really inconsistent. It's been that way since the day I bought it, long before I bolted on all the go-fast goodies and dyno tuned it. WOT is very chunky until 3 grand. I hear its a common LGT issue that goes unresolved.

Would a master cylinder brace resolve a creaky clutch release? First gear start from a stop sounds something in the clutch linkage is bouncing around or hitting something... I've got a brand new ACT Stage 2 in it.

in that case, maybe something went wrong with the clutch install. the fact that its started after a new clutch leads me to think the install is suspect

I'm running my snows, which are new Blizzaks, but I've had various sets of tires on it.

and it never handled well?

The front end made noise before I upgraded sways. When I did the sways I did bushings and stabs as well.

The H-Tech's are terrible, I'll give you that. I hate them, I hate the stance, etc.

and all other bushings including the LCA is in good shape? maybe the Bils install is not done right.

I've seen the factory add-on kits, and I have considered them. When I got the car I had to pull the transmission because the PO failed to mention the front diff was smoked, and I'm honestly mostly just growing tired of working on this thing above all else. Fun fact, I still have a spare 6-speed on the bench w/ an STI diff in it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a full service shop complete w/ dyno, so some say that it's an invalid complaint, but it wears on you none-the-less.

the front limited slip diff transforms the car. ask me how i know ;) i know exactly how you feel. about working on it. old car is old no matter how much you can do yourself.

My last complaint is that power delivery is really inconsistent. It's been that way since the day I bought it, long before I bolted on all the go-fast goodies and dyno tuned it. WOT is very chunky until 3 grand. I hear its a common LGT issue that goes unresolved.

tuning resolves this assuming all else is mechanically sound. if your car was tuned already, perhaps try a different tuner and explain your concerns to fresh ears.

Granted I mainly only drive my Spec B on Saturday night, unless my wagon is broke. I'm 63y/o and couldn't care less about blue tooth.

I have Motul Gear 300 in the 6mt, which shifts nicely, not Honda smooth, but close to it.

My tuner has done a great job with making the power delivery smooth almost like an NA car, the power comes in progressively, like my wagon. tuningalliance@gmail.com

I also think about it being old and wonder when/what I should do, but I have that same thoughts driving my wagon.

I also run the same snow tire and find they give me confidence in the dry, wet and snow.

I would say, if you want to change, the Spec B is going to be worth less next year...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know fultonhow had a LGT, sold it, and got a new 2015 WRX. He was pretty disappointed with the interior quality (not even up to 4th gen LGT standards) and rattles and sold it pretty quickly to get a Chevy SS. The OP might want to PM him about the WRX.

I had a ‘15 WRX and sold it off after a year for my LGT. THe interior build quality sucked and had more rattles than my 06 LGT. The road noise was awful as well.

I also was pretty disappointed with the clutch and 6MT and went with a 5eat. The WRX was very difficult to drive smoothly.

I should add that the power delivery on my WRX was not very linear, it felt like there was no difference between %40 and %100 throttle. My understanding was that tuning would fix it but I wasn’t interested in spending that kind of money and possibly voiding my warranty to “fix” a brand new car.

In hindsight if my dealer had allowed a “real” test drive I probably wouldn’t have bought the ‘15.

I guess people don't really test drive cars anymore..... just go to the dealership, give it a proper test drive and take it from there. But I don't see how a wrx would be more comfortable than a lgt other than it being newer. Before anything I would drive one first, take your current car to figure out a nice little course to drive near the dealership if it's far from you or a familiar road so you can compare the two apples to apples and orange to oranges.

Someone had posted a video in another post about test driving cars, granted its for a different market, it had some good points.

I guess people don't really test drive cars anymore..... just go to the dealership, give it a proper test drive and take it from there. But I don't see how a wrx would be more comfortable than a lgt other than it being newer. Before anything I would drive one first, take your current car to figure out a nice little course to drive near the dealership if it's far from you or a familiar road so you can compare the two apples to apples and orange to oranges.

Someone had posted a video in another post about test driving cars, granted its for a different market, it had some good points.

My dealer was VERY stingy about WRX test drives. I guess they have problems with people going out to drive them for fun.

Car salesman are like that sometimes. A lot of times if they feel your not really a potential buyer they will act that way, but if they feel you are a sure thing they will bend over backwards. And it makes sense, no one wants to lower the value of a car for no reason. I sold cars when I was in college, for return customers a lot of guys would actually let them take the car home for a night. I like to pick the new salesman! You can run them over, I just drive where the hell I want, they are like make a right, i turn left, they are like don't get on the highway, i'm like sure lets get on the highway LOL!!!! When I was new it happened to me, and all I can do is sit and wait for the person to finish, most people will just sit there and take it, what can they do you are driving.

I used to show up to dealerships in a suit during my workday. Amazing how much better salesman treats you, especially with high end used cars. I got to take a twin turbo 300Z home for the weekend and another time an Audi A8. Once I even got a test drive in someone's consigned Maserati Merak (1960s/70s) 6 cylinder sportscar. But I really was interested in buying the cars.

bestcarmag.com/sites/default/files/maserati-merak-1315970-881594.jpg

You are absolutely right about that! My mother went to a mercedes dealership in sweats, she was running around doing errands and decided to stop by because she was looking for a new car. She wanted to look at the new cars, but the salesman was telling her to look at pre owned cars like she couldn't afford a new one, meanwhile she makes over 100k a year. So she tells the manager and leaves, goes to another dealership a few days later and buys a new car, and then went back to get it serviced at the first dealership. Manager wasn't happy about that!

First impressions are a crazy thing! We always hear don't judge a book by its cover but categorizing strangers when you first meet is human nature. Example you are walking down the street late at night and a bunch of mean looking people are gathered drinking on a corner, unless you know these people, most would judge that book by its cover extremely fast and cross the street lol! But that's life!

Another time to negotiate price on a car I wanted, I showed up at the dealer with the car I wanted in another dealer's car (I wanted a 626 manual and showed up in a Honda Accord) and told the dealer I was thinking of buying the Honda. Price dropped a few thousand that night. I always thought buying cars was a fun battle.

When I bought my first new car out of college (86 VW GTi) I was also thinking of the first gen Honda CRX. None of the Honda salesmen would approach me but a few separate older people came in and the salesmen flocked to them immediately. This was when Hondas were being sold well over invoice (marked on the invoice as "additional dealer profit" no less). I gave up and went to the VW dealership which was also a Jaguar dealership and an older salesman came over to me immediately. They had the car I wanted (GTi, manual, no power windows, no sunroof, Hurricane Red) and I left with it that afternoon.

It honestly sounds like a legacy 3.6R or some other, new mid-size car would be a better choice for you. Some of the complaints you listed comes with a 10 year car, and TBH a WRX will not be that much more comfortable.

Plus, most of the new mid-size cars are already making 250-300hp from the factory.

in that case, maybe something went wrong with the clutch install. the fact that its started after a new clutch leads me to think the install is suspect

It's done it since I've owned the car, clutch install made zero difference. It feels a lot like the firewall is flexing or something... Sounds / Feels structural.

and it never handled well?

Not since I've owned it. Immediatly felt like it was sloppy and heavy coming from my 2.5i with new KYB's and Subaru springs.

and all other bushings including the LCA is in good shape? maybe the Bils install is not done right.

They're all 'okay'. I would say the LCA's could used changed, but they're not terrible. I suppose it could be an install issue, but I've done lots of springs/struts. I did the install, I can't see where it would have gone wrong aside from a bad top mount. Struts and springs are new.

the front limited slip diff transforms the car. ask me how i know ;) i know exactly how you feel. about working on it. old car is old no matter how much you can do yourself.

I might just send that other transmission out to Rallispec and have them go thru it, sell the one in the car.

tuning resolves this assuming all else is mechanically sound. if your car was tuned already, perhaps try a different tuner and explain your concerns to fresh ears.

The tune is kosher, tho I only dyno tuned it. I should grab my tuner and run it down the street for a bit, see if we can smooth out the fuel map. It's done it since stock. It was mega-chunky before I added any aftermarket bits and tuned it. Everything I read says that these cars are just chunky thru about 3500 or so.

We've got a built '15 STi at the shop, I took it on a service call on Saturday. Can't say I was overly impressed. It did shift a lot smoother tho. I guess I'm not 'sold' on a new-body car.

Maybe I should grab new top mounts in the front (rears are new), Subaru springs all around... See what I can do about the tranny/clutch situation. I can't stand that ACT clutch... I stall it all the time on hill starts, and I'm a guy that's been driving standard transmissions for nearly 20 years. I drive big trucks, motorcycles, etc. This clutch is horrendous. The STi felt fine in that regard.

There is likely going to be a 2020 Legacy with the 2.4DIT, I would hold out for that if you want to stay in the Subaru fold. Or get the WRX on a cheap lease or something, bang around on it for two years, then drop into the Legacy.

I think the Stinger is an attractive choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a similar hunt - in my case to replace my '06 wagon - and a Stinger is pretty much at the top of my list.

Also, wrt test driving nice cars, here was journalist Jack Baruth's very enjoyable take:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/01/04/avoidable-contact-5-exotics-for-nothing-chicks-for-free/

i got a 2018 wrx premium and love it. I still have my LGT. Totally different cars. Never drove a Spec B though. I can say the new WRX is bigger and sits higher than the LGT. Handling is way better.

Very cool. I'd be interested to hear more. How do they feel different and where does the WRX feel bigger? From the driver's seat? Cargo? Or just the overall feel of the car? Cheers, Dan

P.S. nice set of cars in your avatar!

Very cool. I'd be interested to hear more. How do they feel different and where does the WRX feel bigger? From the driver's seat? Cargo? Or just the overall feel of the car? Cheers, Dan

P.S. nice set of cars in your avatar!

It feels bigger from the driver's seat. In the WRX, I feel like I'm sitting in a truck compared to the LGT. you're sitting on seat of the WRX and for the LGT you're sitting in them. i parked them side by side and the WRX is higher/bigger.

Cargo area and back seat. It seems like it's about the same amount of space.

Handling wise: WRX wins hands down. LGT is boat like (everything stock)

Speed: butt dyno says WRX feels faster and more nimble.

It feels bigger from the driver's seat. In the WRX, I feel like I'm sitting in a truck compared to the LGT. you're sitting on seat of the WRX and for the LGT you're sitting in them. i parked them side by side and the WRX is higher/bigger.

Cargo area and back seat. It seems like it's about the same amount of space.

Handling wise: WRX wins hands down. LGT is boat like (everything stock)

Speed: butt dyno says WRX feels faster and more nimble.

Cheers, thanks for your impressions - and keep enjoying that WRX :)

There is likely going to be a 2020 Legacy with the 2.4DIT, I would hold out for that if you want to stay in the Subaru fold. Or get the WRX on a cheap lease or something, bang around on it for two years, then drop into the Legacy.

I think the Stinger is an attractive choice.

This, plus insurance, even for us middle aged guys, is still crazy high on the WRX.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this car as a daily driver since inception and yes, the navi is not good but with smartphone GPS, it's just eye candy and maintenance reminders. It would've been nice if they put in a boost gauge but whatever...

I got a BT dongle and it works fine.

This is not a city car even though I live in a city. The bilsteins aren't made for terrible city streets. But it's a fun car and everyone that has driven it like it.

But I am in your space now, I am ready to transition into something with more comfort. 10 years is a long time for car technology.

Archived