LegacyGT.com

Tune with Intercooler?

Hey guys,

I just turned over 2k miles on my fresh rebuild and found my stock intercooler is leaking. It's an 05' OBXT with the 5EAT, I drive pretty mild on my commutes but get on it every now and again merging, etc. I found a great deal on a new Mishimoto TMIC but I'm currently all stock. My question is, can I run the Mishimoto unit without having a tune done? My future plans include some mild mods and a dyno tune but that won't be for a while. If it isn't safe to run an aftermarket intercooler I'll settle for the bulletproof mod until tune time. Just looking for some expert advice.

*I read a ton of threads related but didn't really find a solid answer in them. :redface:

If the aftermarket intercooler cools better then stock one, then you should be fine. Sad reality is, a lot of aftermarket intercoolers actually cool worse, thus increasing the heat and leading to detonation.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks covertrussian, I read a ton of threads about the cheaper TMIC's and how their cooling may be worse but it seemed to be so back and forth with a bunch of engineering jargon I don't really follow. Wasn't quite sure how to absorb it. Lol.

Thanks covertrussian, I read a ton of threads about the cheaper TMIC's and how their cooling may be worse but it seemed to be so back and forth with a bunch of engineering jargon I don't really follow. Wasn't quite sure how to absorb it. Lol.

That's part of the reason I started actually measuring the cooling efficiency myself and started this thread: Post Intercooler IAT Testing

In that thread there is no engineering jargon, on why xyz intercooler should be better than other, just real world numbers of how much the air temperature rises after every full throttle pull.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived