LegacyGT.com

RIP 2005 Legacy GT

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't updated this in awhile, been too busy working on friends cars and dealing with some lemon's that life seems to throw at you every couple of months so I have been kind of busy making lemonade.

:cool:

Some minor changes, and still lots to do but she is coming along nicely. Will be sending my front lip, spats, the drivers side running board and the rear trim piece out to be painted as soon as I can pick up a replacement driver side fender.

This pic is about a month after the paint was completed, and after my first wash. They did an amazing job repainting that side of the car.

41553317202_a821e6eff6_h.jpg

Next installed some Hella horns that you can't see from this angle as well as the eyelids, JDM HoneyComb grill, and the Cyber R hood scoop.

40479684550_60759093aa_b.jpg

Finally found an 05 front Automatic passenger front seat so I will finally be swapping in the front Spec. B seats. The goal is to have those swapped in by the end of the month.

Didn't get pictures but installed the drivers side aluminum LCA. As well as replaced the rear O2 sensor and the radiator. Some of those damn lemons i was telling you about, lol. Also picked up a Q300 catback this pass weekend that I will be installing in the next couple of days.

Still searching for braided fuel lines, fittings as well as a FPR before seeing how much more power my stock block can make/take. But I need to replace my accessport before going any further as I cracked the screen on my V2

And since I decided to sell my summer rims on a whim, had to find something nice to replace them with. I think these will go perfect with my car. Just waiting for them to arrive. They are in the country just on the other side of it so patently waiting. :spin:

27417159717_c86cbdda1f_c.jpg

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 4 weeks later...

Well we left off waiting for the last rim to arrive. This is gonna be long

Coles notes:

Rims arrived, had two of them fixed it

Got great numbers car is ready for more boost.

Pics of the new Spec b. Front seats installed.

42360994022_f793f09f2b_z.jpg42411189431_15cc631bcd_b.jpg

Also Installed Q300

27762474627_20fbc6abc4_b.jpg

I sent one rim out to have a dent repaired on one from a set I am trying to now sell pics and details found here, and had a crack fixed for the ones I want to use for my summer setup.

I had an appointment to get an alignment, compression test, new spark plugs, and have the killer b pickup & windage installed at one of the main subaru shops in the area.

27700011607_442571b926_b.jpg

Compression Test came back with flying colours 160 across all 4 cylinders with leakdown from 1% - 4%. Swapped the TVG's sensors but the error didn't move when the sensors were swapped so it has to be the harness. Couldn't do the alignment as I need to tires, and didn't make sense paying for it twice so will have to head back once I get some new tires, which should be first week in July.

Edited by tysparks81

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm at a loss for words.

This happened and I am still trying to cope and come to terms with it. I have called my insurance and I am waiting for them to go out and assess the vehicle.

This happened while I was on my way to the beach for a day trip so I was about 2hrs outside of the city. Started smelling something, and saw some smoke through the rear view mirror. Found somewhere safe to pull off the road. Got out and saw smoke coming from the car still, Walked around back

to take a look under the car and saw some rubber or something on fire fall from the car below the rear diff. Told my fiance to get out of the car, and tried to grab what I could, but the car was engulfed in flames in a matter of minutes. The fire trucks came pretty quickly but it was too late to save anything as you can see from the pics.

My heart is broken. RIP my Legacy GT.

36501993_10155907118016225_7163434395171291136_n.thumb.jpg.39852b6bfec38c6c01fdd0c1c22d9386.jpg

36442662_10155907117756225_5038590529105821696_n.thumb.jpg.8cd33fe03c4a9c5218f79b75beb9b964.jpg

36436394_10155907115156225_894399692119474176_n.thumb.jpg.846f046031cd9c27c0a050f10849d013.jpg

36335970_10155907114991225_830979912968962048_n.thumb.jpg.6ac255d411ce9b6cc1a4457a94b4bbb8.jpg

Thanks guys, I know the best thing is that we are both safe.

Its just hard to deal with, people keep telling me its just a car, and it can be replaced and the most important thing is that you are safe. But I spent so many days, Nights and weekends working on it, researching and hunting for the right parts. Meet so many good people on the journey while building this, and have had more than a few good adventures and trips in it. Bu I am just so sad I couldn't finish it, and that it has pretty much all gone up in smoke.

I have no idea whats next, but Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Thanks guys, I know the best thing is that we are both safe.

Its just hard to deal with, people keep telling me its just a car, and it can be replaced and the most important thing is that you are safe. But I spent so many days, Nights and weekends working on it, researching and hunting for the right parts. Meet so many good people on the journey while building this, and have had more than a few good adventures and trips in it. Bu I am just so sad I couldn't finish it, and that it has pretty much all gone up in smoke.

I have no idea whats next, but Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Car guys like us that vest of ourselves into our cars, and not just financially are rare. Most people won't understand that the car they are referring to as "just a car" was more than that. It was an extension of yourself, in that it was an expression of a vision born and nurture within you. I'm not trying to make this poetic or strange, rather I'm only trying to clarify what I meant by "sorry for your loss."

Man... I'm deeply sorry. Like Gabo said, my cars are an extension of me, never quite done, and always slightly different.

I hope you don't lose the passion for cars and can find another platform or chassis to build.

John Hancock

glad you guys are OK.

I'd see if you can snag that grimmspeed shroud as a souvenir, and maybe a wheel/shift knob?

I know when my car died I pulled a few things out of it to keep as a memento, and have done so for the other car I lost that meant something to me.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Sorry for your loss, man that sucks.

What are the chances of the gas tank leaking into the hot exhaust ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Car guys like us that vest of ourselves into our cars, and not just financially are rare. Most people won't understand that the car they are referring to as "just a car" was more than that. It was an extension of yourself, in that it was an expression of a vision born and nurture within you. I'm not trying to make this poetic or strange, rather I'm only trying to clarify what I meant by "sorry for your loss."

No I completely understand what your saying it was an extension of me, you guys understand this. I was referring to the msg's and text I have gotten from non-car friends that don't seem to understand it. I loved coming in here and sharing my progress, and updates to this with you guys. But I really do appreciate the kind words.

So sorry to hear mang. That is a tough one. Most importantly, you all are safe and that's the best news.

Any idea what was cause?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Absolutely gutted for you. Someone hit and totaled a Jeep I learned to drive on. It meant absolutely nothing to the world, and I got a lot of the same "Just a car, glad you're okay" crap. I would have gladly taken a broken bone if it meant the vehicle wasn't gone. I'll heal. A smashed unibody won't.

It's taken me about 5 years before I got close to feeling the same way about my Legacy as I did that Jeep. The Jeep void still isn't healed, I still wish I could have finished it too. I don't expect your pain to fully heal either, but life itself isn't over and you'll have joy again.

When I read the thread title I thought maybe the engine died or something but wow. I am at a loss too, it hurts my soul when I see a car that you poured so much time and effort to see something like this happen to this. I am just glad both you and your gf are okay, life is more important than anything.

Absolutely gutted for you. Someone hit and totaled a Jeep I learned to drive on. It meant absolutely nothing to the world, and I got a lot of the same "Just a car, glad you're okay" crap. I would have gladly taken a broken bone if it meant the vehicle wasn't gone. I'll heal. A smashed unibody won't.

It's taken me about 5 years before I got close to feeling the same way about my Legacy as I did that Jeep. The Jeep void still isn't healed, I still wish I could have finished it too. I don't expect your pain to fully heal either, but life itself isn't over and you'll have joy again.

I would hug you right now, Thank you so much for sharing this. As it is exactly how I feel. I have been on the edge of my seat all day. Dealing with the insurance company, who surprisingly have seemed very concerned and gone a long way to making this easier for me to deal with not quite sure if that is good or bad thing yet, will have to see how they are when they come back to settle the claim.

Oh yea to top things off this morning I had to go to court to fight two tickets for a car I no longer have. They ended up getting thrown out based on a couple of good reasons. But definitely felt like someone poured salt in my wounds.

I see you're in Toronto...if you go to the imsa race this weekend at mosport (Saturday and Sunday) I can get you a hot lap ride at the driver development track. Might be be a loud distraction. Pm me if you're interested.

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for you my friend. I know how hard you worked on this car and finally had it where you wanted it to be. Safe and sound is of course first but it still doesn't help the pit this caused.

Prayers for you my friend.

I'm going to come back to this, because a few others have addressed it as well.

It is not just a car. It's a big part of your life that you have a lot of strong memories tied to, and losing the car somehow feels like you're taking something away from the memories associated with it.

I got my LGT in 2012. My neighbor was a car enthusiast into Subarus, and got me into the local Subaru club. A significant chunk of the friends I hang out with today are because of that group, and by extension that car.

I took my honeymoon in that car. Thousands of miles and multiple weeks of road trip between St. Paul and San Diego. It took me to Rushmore, SLC, San Fran, Sonoma Raceway, Laguna Seca, LA, Solana Beach, Las Vegas, and home again.

When I got home from my 2nd deployment, the car took me to Chicago, the Air Force museum, Lexington KY, Williamsburg VA, Road Atlanta, Ft. Walton Beach, and Nashville. Both coasts and the gulf, accomplished.

I had over 1000 miles on the racetrack on that car. With minimal modifications I was competitive in class against higher HP cars with better balance. That car gave me the driver mod.

I'm of the belief that there are two types of people who drive competitively, those who have crashed, and those who will. I became a part of the first club with the legacy, and it was destroyed. It ripped a portion of 6 years of my life away in an instant, and I knew I'd never be able to take it for a drive and remember all those things in the same way again.

It's not just a car. They're never just cars to an enthusiast. They're a part of life, in a big way. At the end of the day, the people who 'don't get it'...won't ever get it. But I get it, so I sympathize and empathize with you.

Sorry for your loss dude. I hope you find something to at least fill the void, because while you'll never replace it, and you'll always miss it, there are other cars out there that need you. For me it's my Supra. However, I'll be getting deployed soon again, and will be setting money aside for a certain type of rumbly station wagon....

I could suck start a snow blower.