LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Do I buy a used cheaper Subaru and sell afterward or just keep that as winter driver? (Thinking a reliable 2.5i)

Do I rent a car for a month? (Probably cost me $1000)

Do I lease a relatively cheap new car?

Do I buy new WRX and sell Legacy GT after reassembly? (I like my GT, so probably not this option though)

This question could also come up when I am due for a clutch or TOB, but I will at least have some warning with the clutch replacement for plan purposes.

What do you typically use your truck for? That is kinda a tough predicament. I would say trade truck in for something you'd trust more but then you'd probably have a small loan. Or get a beater Honda (you have to try to kill those engines, I've seen someone run theirs low on oil a few times a year and it's still going)

I was actually talking about something like this. Once my Leggy is paid off, maybe a second LGT for power and use the 3.6 for commuting and long trips. I'm really impressed with the stock gains from my tuners e-tuning.

I just signed my loan application today. Everything is moving along. Now just to save money like crazy and pack stuff :spin:

What do you typically use your truck for? That is kinda a tough predicament. I would say trade truck in for something you'd trust more but then you'd probably have a small loan. Or get a beater Honda (you have to try to kill those engines, I've seen someone run theirs low on oil a few times a year and it's still going)

I was actually talking about something like this. Once my Leggy is paid off, maybe a second LGT for power and use the 3.6 for commuting and long trips. I'm really impressed with the stock gains from my tuners e-tuning.

I just signed my loan application today. Everything is moving along. Now just to save money like crazy and pack stuff :spin:

Don't trade in the Syclone. He uses that truck to go really, really fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Syclone

What do you typically use your truck for? That is kinda a tough predicament. I would say trade truck in for something you'd trust more but then you'd probably have a small loan.

I typically use my truck for going out with my friends, drag racing, nice sunny days and an occasional car meet. I only average about 1k mile/year. My truck is collectible, value has been rising, and I own it outright so it has some value to it. I have plans to eventually sell my truck but I plan put towards a new toy vehicle.

A forester would make an excellent beater, relatively simple to keep running. Fairly capable for its size.

I was already think like that along those lines of an Outback, 4th Gen Legacy Wagon, or Forester. An AWD vehicle with a different form factor than my GT that I could mostly drive during the messy parts of the winter or use to tow my boat in the summer.

I had an 03 forester x that was very good at boat pulling duty, surprisingly a lot of low end grunt in that 2.5 and geared right with the auto. I never had an issue with it. Pulled an 18' cobia center console with a 150 johnson. Just locally though.

I was already think like that along those lines of an Outback, 4th Gen Legacy Wagon, or Forester. An AWD vehicle with a different form factor than my GT that I could mostly drive during the messy parts of the winter or use to tow my boat in the summer.
You could get a Forester XT for your daily. Then, you could do some small quality of life mods to it, you know, simple stuff, like an AccessPort, and then maybe improve the suspension and on and on and then, before you know it, you're in a another modding rabbit hole and you barely drive your Legacy anymore.

You could get a Forester XT for your daily. Then, you could do some small quality of life mods to it, you know, simple stuff, like an AccessPort, and then maybe improve the suspension and on and on and then, before you know it, you're in a another modding rabbit hole and you barely drive your Legacy anymore.
Bingo!!!!

d43128d5ac0d61937b47e5d8a516df11.jpg

Or outback :hide:. Specifically looked for an h6 for some time eventhough a 10-14 would've been more ideal to share parts with. However this was just too good of a deal.b9dc0637b600215cec108ed0a48457d0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Theoretical question

I was talking with my friends about my Legacy GT and start talking mods I have planned for this year, which led into a possible (and somewhat likely) short block replacement in the future. I of course would do the work of R & R the motor. The question came up what would I drive while my Legacy was down? My quick response was hopefully it will happen during nice weather, so I can just use my GMC Syclone as my daily. I figure it will take about a month to gather parts, assemble the motor, and labor.

Their follow up was what if it happen in the middle of the winter or my truck isn't drivable at the moment? [sometimes my Syclone isn't always together and their is always the potential for it to break down as well given its age and that I race it from time to time.] It was a good question that I don't a have a good answer for. If it happens in 2-3 years from now I probably would just buy a new Forester XT or Outback and move up one piece of my long term plan of WRX and SUV. Prior to the that time period, I probably don't have the money to comfortably afford a new car payment & additional insurance.

Do I buy a used cheaper Subaru and sell afterward or just keep that as winter driver? (Thinking a reliable 2.5i)

Do I rent a car for a month? (Probably cost me $1000)

Do I lease a relatively cheap new car?

Do I buy new WRX and sell Legacy GT after reassembly? (I like my GT, so probably not this option though)

This question could also come up when I am due for a clutch or TOB, but I will at least have some warning with the clutch replacement for plan purposes.

hehehe.. I've done this several times.. buy a semi busted beater(something thats easy for you to fix) for cheap... +/-500$ invest 500$ and some time, use for your purposes and sell for 1500$...

works like a charm... also timing is critical, spring is when a lot of people get rid of their beaters...

I had an 03 forester x that was very good at boat pulling duty, surprisingly a lot of low end grunt in that 2.5 and geared right with the auto. I never had an issue with it. Pulled an 18' cobia center console with a 150 johnson. Just locally though.

I have a 15' Boston Whaler with 60hp Evinrude, which much lighter than what you towed. My 2.5i 5th Gen did fine just towing that. Most of my tow trips are only 1mile to the boat ramp except for my spring & fall 100 mile tow to and from my house for winter storage.

I am staying away from turbo EJ's for another used car. I am likely to buy something at this point in time with >100k and I don't need 2 car with potential YNASBs. Their are lots of high mile 4th Gen LGT and OBXT FS on Craigslist in my area for cheap money, they seem to be price about the same as the 2.5i's. If I was buying a new car, it would be a different story.

Or outback. Specifically looked for an h6 for some time eventhough a 10-14 would've been more ideal to share parts with. However this was just too good of a deal.

Your outback looks nice. I would be open for 3.0 OB or OB 3.6R. I am likely not going to spend the money for 10-14 Outback 3.6R though.

A tribeca! Another unique platform for which there are few parts!

LOL I supposed. I think preface lift ones are hideous but whatever works for a driver. I could obvious throw a Baja into the mix as well.

LOL I supposed. I think preface lift ones are hideous but whatever works for a driver. I could obvious throw a Baja into the mix as well.

You will never lose it in a parking lot! And to me the profile of the B9 was much sportier than the 08+

Going to roll up to get my car this weekend - FOR SURE! Tunes are done. I asked for smart tunes as always. 93 - 320whp/360wtq E85 - 362whp/420wtq. I really am excited for the graphs tho - hoping that the power holds better with the addition of the cams and TGV deletes...and of course that massive FMIC will help :)

However, Totally excited to take my oldest girl (9years old) with me. Figured I'd make a great weekend out of it since we are both on Spring Break. She is so stoked, even turned down a weekend with grandma and going to a ballet performance - ha! Fired a note to the guys up in Dallas concerning where they meet up on Saturday nights - we will hit the Ripley's Believe it or Not, Children's Aquarium, Log Cabin Village, and the Dinosaur Park. Daddy/Daughter Subi Weekend!

I could obvious throw a Baja into the mix as well.

You rang? Only thing to be aware of if you're just looking for a cheap beater is that Bajas are usually priced a little higher than a similar year Legacy or Outback, so you'd either have to find a good deal, or be willing to pay a little extra for the l'il baby truck form factor. There are notches on top of the wheel wells to fit a 4' wide sheet of something in the bed, though, so with enough determination, it's pretty useful for truck things.

Also, just as a little preemptive enabling- bugeye seats bolt right in, although the passenger seat sits about an inch and a half higher unless you swap the rails. Gotta swap seatbelt buckles, too.

Going to roll up to get my car this weekend - FOR SURE! Tunes are done. I asked for smart tunes as always. 93 - 320whp/360wtq E85 - 362whp/420wtq. I really am excited for the graphs tho - hoping that the power holds better with the addition of the cams and TGV deletes...and of course that massive FMIC will help :)

However, Totally excited to take my oldest girl (9years old) with me. Figured I'd make a great weekend out of it since we are both on Spring Break. She is so stoked, even turned down a weekend with grandma and going to a ballet performance - ha! Fired a note to the guys up in Dallas concerning where they meet up on Saturday nights - we will hit the Ripley's Believe it or Not, Children's Aquarium, Log Cabin Village, and the Dinosaur Park. Daddy/Daughter Subi Weekend!

tenor.gif?itemid=6091046

man wish I could tag along and bring my boys. Have a great weekend in Dallas, Shane!