LegacyGT.com

FA headers on the Unicorn

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting closer. Now the wastegate actuator is in the way of the oil filter. I'll have to find a bracket from the hardware store to space the actuator out of the way.

Header completely bolted in, not seeing any other issues apart from the oil filter.

Wouldn't be having this issue if I had the funds for the killerb turbo kit with the external wastegates on the FA20 flange to T3/4 turbo adapter...

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/fa20-twin-scroll-fury-turbo-kit.html.html

Screenshot_2019-10-04-18-33-48-26.thumb.jpg.37f3eab0b53f8b1762679ac8649aeb30.jpg

Screenshot_2019-10-04-18-35-27-46.thumb.jpg.585421febb4a2712e191927cf3913146.jpg

Screenshot_2019-10-04-18-34-51-94.thumb.jpg.362736ad59bf84ef49d30d94294cdc8e.jpg

Edited by moral hazard

moral hazard - I saw your post on NASIOC and that you intend on getting the Killer B flange adapter. Should they be interested in producing anything for our cars I am about 1.5 hour drive from them. I would be happy to offer up mine for test fitting or any product development.

My handle is the same on both forums so feel free to reach out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do hope the KillerB review this thread and it would be awesome if they reach out to someone local like yourself, for test fitting on a Gen V.

There's no doubt that the KillerB kit would be awesome to pair with our EJ25 considering the awesome results people get on NASIOC with the Spoolinator kit.

The gen V might be a unicorn but it seems there still would be a lot of owners that would go for a turbo upgrade and don't want to be limited by the stock frame of the VF54.

I do hope the KillerB review this thread and it would be awesome if they reach out to someone local like yourself, for test fitting on a Gen V.

There's no doubt that the KillerB kit would be awesome to pair with our EJ25 considering the awesome results people get on NASIOC with the Spoolinator kit.

The gen V might be a unicorn but it seems there still would be a lot of owners that would go for a turbo upgrade and don't want to be limited by the stock frame of the VF54.

For the price of their kit, you could do a custom header with your, choice of flanges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do you have pictures compare the turbo flanges themselves? I was wondering if it would be possible to use a fa20 turbo for a while. I was thinking just chop the flanges off and weld it so the fa turbo flange would be on the ej manifold. Thanks for your research and write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price of their kit, you could do a custom header with your, choice of flanges.

Fair point.

Do you have pictur:pes compare the turbo flanges themselves? I was wondering if it would be possible to use a fa20 turbo for a while. I was thinking just chop the flanges off and weld it so the fa turbo flange would be on the ej manifold. Thanks for your research and write up

I didn't split the turbo from the header , but here is a photo from another site:

c0313b6s-960.jpg

I'll be waiting on my oil filter relocation kit and a billet comp wheel to come in so this might not get any updates for a bit.

Edited by moral hazard

There are a lot of them online, just one example :

https://www.amazon.com/Derale-15715-Engine-Filter-Relocation/dp/B000CN4XOO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=Derale+oil+filter+relocation&qid=1570500563&sr=8-2

Seems like you can also incorporate an oil cooler in the loop if you choose to.

I may not end up using one, just trying something different today. Will update shortly.

I can vouch on the oil filter relocation.

Did mine when I wanted to fit up the 15+ wrx perrin turbo inlet.

3k miles later, absolutely love it with the ease of it being relocated.

00bfab1d8407038a9dd702da16bb422a.jpg8414b72b6a5ee651778c15d2daf3ca83.jpgIMG_0607.JPG.cd825858cfbad2044e262c28a92cd7da.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG.06f6f03464989cc6e1594fc3372cce60.JPG

So the filter is on for now (will do the relocation kit when I next change the filter ).

Happy with progress, I will move the car tomorrow out of the way for a bit as I need to order some intercooler pipework. Will be going FMIC before this thing hits the road.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been sating this exact this for over a year. It's what lead me to picking up a set of headers and making this thread.

I would agree with you however KillerBs headers have a ton of RnD in them and have been shown to have some incredible flow properties and since anyone can do massive exhaust after the turbo limited the exhaust back pressure in the headers can lead to much better cylinder evacuation and faster spool. Probably the kindest thing you can do to these EJ engines.

Do you have pictures compare the turbo flanges themselves? I was wondering if it would be possible to use a fa20 turbo for a while. I was thinking just chop the flanges off and weld it so the fa turbo flange would be on the ej manifold. Thanks for your research and write up

The vf54 turbo flange is unique to the 5th gen legacy gt. Might would be better of hacking up the FA headers to fit like moral hazard is doing. Honestly though if you want more power do a stage one pro tune. If you want more than that you'll need to spend a ton on supporting mods and take stage two pretty far to really make it worth it. If that's still not enough be the first guy to just buy the killer b twin scroll turbo kit and prove that it works.

I would agree with you however KillerBs headers have a ton of RnD in them and have been shown to have some incredible flow properties and since anyone can do massive exhaust after the turbo limited the exhaust back pressure in the headers can lead to much better cylinder evacuation and faster spool. Probably the kindest thing you can do to these EJ engines.
I'm not sure I follow you're reasoning. You are assuming killerB did some massive development. More than likely they tweaked a design they know would work and used some good experience and intuition to guide them, pretty much what any decent shop would do.

I'm not sure I follow you're reasoning. You are assuming killerB did some massive development. More than likely they tweaked a design they know would work and used some good experience and intuition to guide them, pretty much what any decent shop would do.

They have very nice large radius continual bends that will have much better flow than most custom built pieced exhaust that I have seen. Borrowed RnD from other projects is still RnD benefits on the product which is more than someone who learned how to weld and use and angle grinder.

Here's the independent review attesting to the better performance which they attribute to the flow characteristics.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2803482

• 2 weeks later...
How much did you end up clocking the turbo? I’m debating on pulling the trigger on killer b manifold and grimmspeed intake and charge pipes but I’m wondering if they’ll line up properly with the turbo rotated slightly. Edited by TRBOLGT

It was in the ballpark of 45 degrees clockwise, which actually helped the intake line up better (the BOV then sits in a more closer to stock way).

But the charge pipe is the issue, which is why I'm going FMIC (since I'd have to put in effort either way).

The grimmspeed charge pipe looks like a good option since you have the separate flange , would be interested in how that fits.

Edited by moral hazard