LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

The Koni's run about $600 and the Cusco's run $656.48. If you add the donor struts the Koni's run $722. So, is $66 enough to sway someone one way or another?
To be fair, it's $66 plus you have to assemble the cut-a-struts for the front (which isn't really hard, but it does take time/effort) - it also can be a challenge to get the front springs mounted with traditional hook type spring compressors (probably less so if you are lowering the car). I didn't know how the Cusco's perform relative to the Koni's - if they are very similar or not. My decision to go with Koni's was based largely on the very positive response of the folks whom have installed them here for the Legacy and on other sites for the WRX.

To be fair, it's $66 plus you have to assemble the cut-a-struts for the front (which isn't really hard, but it does take time/effort) - it also can be a challenge to get the front springs mounted with traditional hook type spring compressors (probably less so if you are lowering the car). I didn't know how the Cusco's perform relative to the Koni's - if they are very similar or not. My decision to go with Koni's was based largely on the very positive response of the folks whom have installed them here for the Legacy and on other sites for the WRX.

I say Koni's. With lowering springs, the front I just I rented some compressors and managed. The rears you can actually just push down and crank down if you're using H&R or Eibach's.

I say Koni's. With lowering springs, the front I just I rented some compressors and managed. The rears you can actually just push down and crank down if you're using H&R or Eibach's.

The rears were definitely a piece of cake. I used MY13/14 springs, so OEM length - for the front, I used the 8610-1447, so they are about 3/4 of an inch shorter than OEM at full extension - I couldn't get the springs compressed enough with my 25+ year old hooks on an acme threaded rod style spring compressors (It was really close - I thought maybe with the OEM nut and if I had a helper to thread the nut on I would have been ok, but with the lock washer that comes with the Koni's it didn't want to catch a thread.) I got a different set of spring compressors with lower profile hooks and they installed easily (I got Shakly ones off of Amazon - super nice - the threaded rod is sort of internal, so you have a place to hold onto without grabbing onto a greased threaded rod, which is nice)

I finally installed my front sway bar links yesterday. Took all of 30 min, figured I might as well they had been sitting in my parts cabinet long enough.

I know I am going to catch some slack for this one, but last week I took my Perrin axlebacks off just to see if I would miss them and that sweet tone. And no I really don't, dang I am feeling old right now. I am really tossing it around in my head to put them back on or sell them...driving that new legacy made me appreciate the quiet cabin again.

Finally upgraded headlights to facelift (MY14) look:

GMAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

So it's not needed to buy complete headlights, but enough to change headlight bezel.

Prefacelift bezel on the left, facelift bezel on the right:

AIAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

I'm very pleased with the fresh look of the car, it became younger. :icon_chee: But my GF said she does not see any difference :icon_cry:

GMAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

So it's not needed to buy complete headlights, but enough to change headlight bezel.

AIAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

I'm very pleased with the fresh look of the car, it became younger. :icon_chee: But my GF said she does not see any difference :icon_cry:

Looks great on your car without the orange tabs on the side of the headlight! Personally I prefer stock since my car has a lot of colors on it (stickers and such) but love the look on your car :p

GMAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

AIAAAgHi4eA-960.jpg

That's certainly one way to do it, but where can you source just the bezel?

How was opening it, did you have to bake it?

Oh, and the girlfriend would notice if you had put C-lights in at the same time. :)

Looks great on your car without the orange tabs on the side of the headlight! Personally I prefer stock since my car has a lot of colors on it (stickers and such) but love the look on your car :p
That is in fact the stock look for non USDM pre (not shown and post facelift (in this case) headlights. Edited by Perscitus

I noticed today when I turning to the left that my car was making metal rubbing sound. With the windows down it sounds like it is coming from the front left. I will have to further diagnose it this weekend, but I suspect it might be the wheel bearing. Good thing is that I have multiple cars.

It sort of seems like the brake shield. (I changed the rotors 1800 miles ago.)

I jacked the front end of the car up and confirmed that it was the drivers front making noise, but it didn't feel like a bad wheel bearing when I was spinning the tire. I was going to bleed the brakes this weekend and look into it further, but it unexpectedly rained while I was doing maintenance on my Outback and I ran out of time.

I jacked my GT up today to diagnose the problem. I went to remove the wheel and realized the lugs were loose. :hide:

My car started make the noise again this week. I took it apart Saturday as it started making the noise all the time. It turns I bent one of the retaining clips on the brake pad when I replaced the rotors this spring. This is now finally resolved.

That's certainly one way to do it, but where can you source just the bezel?

How was opening it, did you have to bake it?

Oh, and the girlfriend would notice if you had put C-lights in at the same time. :)

Yes, as some members noticed, my car is EUDM, our headlights a little different.

Opening is simple - I used heat gun, the glass separates from body very well and changed the adhesive. I did it second time already, so it's easy for me. First time I made it for xenon lens replacement, as the original Koito lens reflector coating burns out with time.

Yes, as some members noticed, my car is EUDM, our headlights a little different.

Opening is simple - I used heat gun, the glass separates from body very well and changed the adhesive. I did it second time already, so it's easy for me. First time I made it for xenon lens replacement, as the original Koito lens reflector coating burns out with time.

Thanks for that Brunzo, we have exactly the same headlights :)

I'd love to do that, where did you source the late model bezel and what replacement adhesive did you use?

Also curious, what xenon lens/ projector did you put on and is it a direct replacement or does it need modification to work?

That's a good question. If the bezels can be separated from the housing, that would make updating the headlights that much easier.

The bezels are separate from the housings if you bake them and crack them open. Once the light is open, they are separate pieces. Honestly, replacing with a full unit is still way easier than baking them and resealing them, but if all you have is the inner bezel, they're thankfully modular enough that you can do it how Brunzo did.

Thanks for that Brunzo, we have exactly the same headlights :)

I'd love to do that, where did you source the late model bezel and what replacement adhesive did you use?

Also curious, what xenon lens/ projector did you put on and is it a direct replacement or does it need modification to work?

It's my second time when i do something with headlights, I used black headlight ABRO WS904 adhesive (but some people say it sucks - for me it works well).

My car comes with xenon from factory, these cars have problems, as KOITO xenon lens reflectors burn out from UV lights and light becomes weak. It was a reason to get into the headlights first time. I used Hella 3 bixenon lenses. Can also look from German cars equipped with bixenon lights 2003-2007 years, for example BMW E60, or can purchase Chinese replica Hella 3R (purchased in Aliexpress). You will need custom bracket to mount the lens into the headlight frame. Also some drilling work is needed:

68edd7es-960.jpg

72ddd7es-960.jpg

I had dimensions of the brackets somewhere, can look for it for you.

Also need to pair high beam wires to bixenon lens shade.

That's a good question. If the bezels can be separated from the housing, that would make updating the headlights that much easier.

Bezel fitment places are identical to old version. So all Subaru headlight facelift - is the different shape of bezel face. It holds in headlight glass with 3 small screws, same place as the old one.

where did you source the replacement bezels?

I purchased it from another Legacy owner who found them from smashed car (the bezels were chrome, he wanted to paint it black, but sourced another pair of black bezels too so I purchased from him chrome bezels and painted it to original look). I believe you can check it in junkyards from crashed cars with broken headlights.

^Thanks Brunzo! Our market Legacies all came with HID.

I see theretrofitsource.com offers an HID retrofit kit with projectors and laser cut brackets for USDM Legacies that never had HID's standard. I wonder if they fit JDM/EDM headlights?

^Thanks Brunzo! Our market Legacies all came with HID.

I see theretrofitsource.com offers an HID retrofit kit with projectors and laser cut brackets for USDM Legacies that never had HID's standard. I wonder if they fit JDM/EDM headlights?

I think I found it.

Actually 150 USD for the lens kit only - it's too much for me, even it's Morimoto branded. You can get Hella 3R for a third of that price and order the brackets separately. I did not do market and technology research of all available options and have chosen the most popular one on our continent.

You can compare Morimoto vs Hella

Not sure why they call Morimotos "MINI" as lens size is around same as Hella ~ 135mm.

Here's one interesting wrx headlight retrofit article, which may be useful for you.

You can also read more same retrofit website for bulb type usage.

Hella 3r bracket files (for laser cut):

3598d06s-960.jpg

You can download it here.

Edited by Brunzo

^Thanks once again for all the information, Brunzo!

EDIT: I checked out Aliexpress and lots of Hella 3r-spec projectors, also pre-cut brackets for the 5th gen Legacy/Outback.

Now I need to find bezels!

Edited by Scubaboo

^Thanks once again for all the information, Brunzo!

EDIT: I checked out Aliexpress and lots of Hella 3r-spec projectors, also pre-cut brackets for the 5th gen Legacy/Outback.

Now I need to find bezels!

Yes, Ali is full of it, but please remember - lowest price is not always a good choice. I look for low price and positive order feedback combination there.

Made a bit more progress on my diy flat bottom steering wheel. I should have the whole thing back together Friday, if time permits.4850bda631673f1ab9436d07d0f6e79b.jpg896d219789dee34b060485069c715b35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

woah, that's awesome

what are you using for the padding to go over the bare metal? did you salvage what was on there originally or are you using something else?