LegacyGT.com

Starter going out - Rebuild ?

My starter required a whack with a hammer today to get it to work. Good battery, fully charged so I'm sure it is NOT the battery.

Get the click noise when it does not engage.

Does the starter have a bendix / solenoid like the old style starters I'm familiar with?

Should I just get a new/rebuilt starter or try for a rebuild?

Thanks!!

I think I talked about fixing this in my thread as well (I didnt), I cleaned up my solenoid and greased it with battery terminal stuff and blam, starts every time since.

But you just pop that cover off, clean the crap out and blam itll live another 100k miles

If the brushes are good and the commutators smooth, it can last a long time. I used to overhaul starters for a living many years ago, and sometimes a bit of cleaning and greasing is all they need to last another 5-10 years.

I pulled the heater blower motor out of my 94 legacy. Brushes had maybe 35% life left (which equates to ten more years), and it just needed cleaning and greasing. Cleaned, greased, put it back together, and that blower will blow for another ten years.

Edit: make sure the solenoid contacts are clean. Sand if necessary and with a bit of luck it will last another ten years.

Ok, today is the day it comes out. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so question on starter removal. Looks like there are only 2 bolts holding it on. One on top pretty easy to get to, and one underneath, not too bad once car is up on ramps.

1) Am I missing anything? Figure remove battery cable before doing anything.

2) Where do i get the replacement parts - local parts store ??

THANKS.

Ok, today is the day it comes out. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so question on starter removal. Looks like there are only 2 bolts holding it on. One on top pretty easy to get to, and one underneath, not too bad once car is up on ramps.

1) Am I missing anything? Figure remove battery cable before doing anything.

2) Where do i get the replacement parts - local parts store ??

THANKS.

Disconnect the battery first, then wires running to the starter and it is only the 2 bolts holding it in place. If you have an Advance Auto near you, place an online order for the starter and enter the coupon code TRT30 to get 30% off.

I think I talked about fixing this in my thread as well (I didnt), I cleaned up my solenoid and greased it with battery terminal stuff and blam, starts every time since.

But you just pop that cover off, clean the crap out and blam itll live another 100k miles

im gonna have to try this, all three of my 2nd gens have starter issues.

Since my problem was intermittent and I was waiting for the parts to arrive I did the clean all the contacts/plunger bit. So far all is running/starting well. Keeping the parts on hand and waiting for the next "click"!

Archived