LegacyGT.com

Turbo is on the way out, looking for a new one

NOOB ALERT (Explain things to me because I am new to learning about turbos please)

My turbo started to leak oil into the intercooler which then started getting sprayed into the block from the wastegate causing -11.75 fine knock learn, -12.00 feedback knock. I'm looking to buy a new turbo, one a little bigger than stock but really trying to stay under $900. It would be extra helpful if the turbo is a straight bolt on. I'm trying to stay on the stock injectors, fuel pump etc...

So far my tuner suggested that I get a blouch GT 380XT. I don't believe that it is a ball bearing turbo and I was looking for a ball bearing turbo. My tuner said he could get it for $1300, still, way above budget.

I was also looking/hearing some good things about a BNR 16g turbo. I can't really find any information that I can decipher on whether it is ball bearing or a straight bolt on. Also, I don't even know where or how to buy one.

I've looked around on all the turbo threads but I end up getting confused with all the abbreviations and a la decent amount of information goes over my head. Thanks for all the input guys, and thanks for helping me out.

Link for blouch: http://www.bptstore.com/Subaru-Legacy-GT-380XT-Turbocharger_p_113.html

First let me ask, are you still on the VF40 turbo? And 2nd, what are your plans for the 2nd turbo?

Yes, I am on the VF40 turbo and my plans are to get rid of it/sell it to someone who wants one to rebuild.

My goal is to have a reliable build that won't break the bank. This car is my DD and as of right now I have an invidia catless uppipe, cobb SF intake, and cobb stage 1 +sf tune. I would like to make a little more power but I don't want to have to replace the fuel system. I'd be completely content with around 250-270 WHP (If i can get it with this set up). I'm unsure of whether or not I will be buying an aftermarket TMIC or just buying a new OEM one. (My plastic is starting to crack/wear down).

So in short, a quicker than stock set-up that doesn't sacrifice reliability.

The VF52 is a pretty common upgrade on the legacy GT platform for those looking for more power and reliability. It is the turbo from (I believe) 09-11 WRX's and can make pretty decent power and is a direct bolt on that you can easily find used for within your budget. I recently installed one on my car among other parts and put down 311 AWHP and 333 AWTQ at 18.5PSI. My car is a daily driver and it has a good amount of horsepower for a street car.

IMO stay way from anything with a "g" in it. I love my vf52. If $1300 is to much money, your not going to find a BB turbo for that price that will bolt on.

I'm on stock fueling and tuned by http://www.tuningalliance.com, contact them and get pricing .

Lots of info on here about doing this swap. You should do a catless up pipe and 3" down pipe too.

I bolt the turbo to the up pipe it much easier then lining up the turbo, weak inlet hose connection, and "NEW" oil return hose at the same time. Use the bolts that bolt the up pipe bracket to the block. The dealer has them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Look up JmP's custom VF40 or VF46. I run a custom VF46, dynotuned by Tuning Alliance at around 270/315 whp/wtq. I'm also on stock fueling, but do have an upgraded TMIC and EBCS, as well as the Cobb SF intake and a full turboback exhaust. The custom should be within your budget, but if you wanna save a couple bucks you could just get the "standard" rebuilt one. JmP does good work and his support/service is excellent as well.

I've got a BNR16g 1st gen with over 30K miles with no complaints. It is direct fit but is not a ball bearing turbo. I'm in stock fueling/TMIC running 19.5 psi and it is a huge increase in power over stock. If/ when it takes a dump I'll be sending it over to JMP for some love.

get ahold of JmP here. i picked up a vf52 core for $150 bucks locally. had it rebuilt for around $600 and got back what is basically a brand new turbo. not installed yet, but it looks absolutely amazing and he's got a great reputation around here. he works fast and has great communication.
i can put anything i want down here?!

So the vf52 IS a ball bearing turbo? And would it be smarter to get an aftermarket TMIC? I can't get a Downpipe because I still live at home and my parent would kill me if my car got louder. what other supporting mods am I going to need if I go with the vf52 turbo?

Not worth it to upgrade the turbo without the downpipe IMO. I have a catted invidia DP with a stock exhaust and the car could almost pass for stock noise wise, certainly does not raise any eyebrows.

VF52 is still a journal bearing turbo, just bigger than the VF40. Stock TMIC is fine if you are staying stock fueling, but you may need to "bulletproof" if for higher boost.

So the vf52 IS a ball bearing turbo? And would it be smarter to get an aftermarket TMIC? I can't get a Downpipe because I still live at home and my parent would kill me if my car got louder. what other supporting mods am I going to need if I go with the vf52 turbo?

EBCS (Electronic Boost Control Solenoid)

Most, including me, go with the GrimmSpeed model.

Also an upgraded fuel pump will help with the vf52 even running stock injectors.

so to break this all down (in case your like me when I first started and need all this summed up).

You've got the 3 good options

Custom VF40/46 very quick spool very good for DD

That's what I am running with forged Pistons, standard Bolt ons, and a manual boost

controller. For 260WHP 320 WT at 18 psi just FYI.

VF52

Good power decent spool a very common choice. Will benefit from a good fuel pump for full potential.

BNR 16 guage

A popular choice. But you will be pushing the stock fuel system to its limit.

Either way any of these will last a good while as long as you keep up the oil changes with good oil.( my tuner recommends rotela T6 for all his Subaru builds.) your going to have a hard time getting any more power with the stock down pipe. But a cated down pipe to stock resonator and mufflers should not be that much louder.

Just my .02 cents take from it what you will.

As I said, not a fan of turbo's with a "g" in them. The vf52 is a direct bolt on and will be fine with the stock oil feed lines and fueling.

Mine has over 84,000 miles on it.

I bolt mine on,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

You'll need to cut the heat shield for the WG arm but that's easy to do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

As I said, not a fan of turbo's with a "g" in them. The vf52 is a direct bolt on and will be fine with the stock oil feed lines and fueling.

Mine has over 84,000 miles on it.

I bolt mine on,

The BNR 16g is a direct bolt on too, it's basically the same as the VF52.

My wife's balls are delicious.

so to break this all down (in case your like me when I first started and need all this summed up).

You've got the 3 good options

Custom VF40/46 very quick spool very good for DD

That's what I am running with forged Pistons, standard Bolt ons, and a manual boost

VF52

Good power decent spool a very common choice. Will benefit from a good fuel pump for full potential.

BNR 16 guage

A popular choice. But you will be pushing the stock fuel system to its limit.

Either way any of these will last a good while as long as you keep up the oil changes with good oil.( my tuner recommends rotela T6 for all his Subaru builds.) your going to have a hard time getting any more power with the stock down pipe. But a cated down pipe to stock resonator and mufflers should not be that much louder.

Just my .02 cents take from it what you will.

Overall good advice. Except for the part about a manual boost controller. You don't need that. Stick with the stock BCS (boost control solenoid) or get a 3 port.

@OP, any change in turbo will require a change a tune ($350 +). However, like others have said if sticking with your stock downpipe there is 0 reason to go with anything but OEM. A catted high flow aftermarket downpipe will not make your car any louder.

I was not advising him one way or another on any kind of boast control. That was just me telling him what I Am running.

I have about 28k on my bnr16g and I LOVE it. Yes it takes my stock fueling to the limit but with my Cryotune it is perfect. I went with an AVO tmic which is much more stout and larger than stock. I always appreciate Max Capacities opinion but was wondering if he ever ran a BNR? It is a direct bolt and functions beautifully. I use a grimmspeed 3 port ebcs for more accurate tuning. I flog mine regularly wasting tires and transmissions but the turbo holds up nicely!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The BNR 16g is a direct bolt on too, it's basically the same as the VF52.

Yes, but you just need the oil line and filter for the warranty. That add's cost and labor.

Yes, but you just need the oil line and filter for the warranty. That add's cost and labor.

Could you tell me a little more about the oil line and filter? I'm pretty new to turbos and why can't I run a stock one? How difficult is it to put in the new oil line and filter? Because right now it's looking like I'm going with the BNR 16g, grimmspeed TMIC, and maybe, just maybe getting a Downpipe. I still live at home and my dad said that if my car gets louder that I won't be living at home. (Kidding, but is serious about my car not being louder) I was looking at a Used Cobb Downpipe from a wrx, is that a direct fit for the legacy gt as well or should I stay away from that? If anyone knows what Downpipe would add the least amount of noise please tell me, thanks!

I could be wrong but I always thought that the only WRX/STI exhaust parts that worked on the legacy was the uppipe the rest is legacy specific.

Could somebody else confirm this? No one has ever told me this it just what I assumed.

Edit:I just checked subiemods and they say the Cobb fit all. Forget I said anything.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bolt-up-turbocharger-upgrade-vol-2-200523p24.html

read from about May 24 2016 that may give you a quick view. There's been a long story about those turbos and lack of oil feed.

If you keep the stock midpipe and mufflers, the car will not be that much louder. The DP is fine with that set up. I ran it for years. My wagon still has the stock mid pipe.

VF-52 and Grimspeed EBCS here. Very happy with the street performance. If you want monster power for track/strip use, this is not your turbo. If you want to pull hard in mid RPMs in 2nd, 3rd and 4th... this is a great choice. I'm on stock injectors with a DW65c pump, detuned because of my relatively weak clutch.

GarageBay.jpg

DynoTune.jpg

Archived