LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Started the final stretch of putting the wagon back together. Went with the Fluidampr per solidxsnake's rec. Going to pick up a new alternator and some misc bolts and gaskets today. Then I need to hang the mufflers, put new alt and belts on, and figure out where to mount my trans cooler and bypass thermostat. Fingers crossed that I can attempt to start her up next week!

I am going to clean up as much black plastic trim as possible and breath new life with this stuff here. I also gave it a shot on my faded roof rails, and it kinda worked. I'd love to re-anodize them (I'm guessing that is how they were originally painted factory).

Also, while watching TV I saw a EDM spec post face lift legacy in a commercial....My fiance was not nearly as excited as I was to spot this, especially when I paused our show to rewind and take a picture :)

IMG_1103.thumb.jpg.4e8cc9bdc0c51af7d0f26a34603a4d8f.jpg

IMG_1105.thumb.jpg.4c6f8b3101ee058980312e9c153e4258.jpg

IMG_1106.thumb.jpg.673459572c811554171073d2c2f2e439.jpg

IMG_1110.thumb.jpg.e5bf244a3a4a0e94a524f5d900f5d040.jpg

IMG_1109.thumb.jpg.d322c25b57dc99908ca95de5a4fc44c2.jpg

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I struggled to install a Perrin steering damper lockdown kit and ultimately failed. I can’t see how this thing fits on the shaft. The plates are 5.5mm thick and the gap between the plates on the steering shaft is around 3mm wide. I jammed everything together as hard as I could and the long bolt was still too short to reach. I would’ve pulled the shaft to install on the bench but after measuring I figured there was no way it would fit together.

I struggled to install a Perrin steering damper lockdown kit and ultimately failed. I can’t see how this thing fits on the shaft. The plates are 5.5mm thick and the gap between the plates on the steering shaft is around 3mm wide. I jammed everything together as hard as I could and the long bolt was still too short to reach. I would’ve pulled the shaft to install on the bench but after measuring I figured there was no way it would fit together.

That's wild. It's fascinating to me the different experiences people have had with these dampers. I've read the full spectrum of outcomes. For me it was really easy, I didn't even loosen anything up. Just hand pressed the two sides in most of the way, then put the long bolt in to finish drawing them together, then the short bolt to secure them. I wonder what is contributing to such a varied experience with installing this damper. It is how the car is setup for the attempt? ramps vs jacks vs ??? It is from above or below??? Are there differences between years that contribute? I was on ramps and went at it from below, it was 10 min from start to finish.

Edited by Infosecdad

I tried from top and bottom but there is no room from the top. Could be differences in the fuel and evap lines, heater core and trans cooler lines with the 5eat. I even pulled the intercooler to get more room.

From the bottom should be easy. Car was on jack stands. I could’ve replaced the u-joint in 5 minutes after jacking it up. I loosened both upper and lower clevis bolts as well.

I want to check this out on my 2005 (m/t) and see how different it is.

Am I crazy for just selling a broken OEM downpipe for $550? There's people offering that much or more for them, but they want the catalytic converters in them for the metal scrap. Feel like I should be holding onto it all of a sudden.

Am I crazy for just selling a broken OEM downpipe for $550? There's people offering that much or more for them, but they want the catalytic converters in them for the metal scrap. Feel like I should be holding onto it all of a sudden.

Scrap metal isn't worth that much, I wouldn't believe you would really get that money.

There might be something else in there they want, but I would be shocked if you actually got that much.

Edited by Infosecdad

Selling cats can be legitimate and usually can be done locally at a metal recycler. It is a hotbed for online fraud since it is so profitable and people get green eyes when they are offered $500 for something they think is junk.

Platinum and palladium can be worth quite a bit of money but often people will try to cut out the honeycomb and do some refining themselves (without safety or environmental controls).

Personally, I would go the legitimate, local route to ensure everything is being processed safely, both for the person and the environment. If you can make sure the person buying online is handling things properly, there should be no concern, which may be your only option if you aren't in a place with a local recycler.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend vacation up in the Muskoka and Haliburton regions. There was frost on the lawns in Huntsville on Saturday morning but the day was quite nice. The tree colours are turning. Huntsville has Three Guys and a Stove, the best restaurant south of North Bay (where the French influence makes even a food court at a mall a gourmet experience).

The next day was the trip through Dwight and Dorset to Haliburton, a town in a land of hills. I had often left the Subaru in cruise control to maintain speed but I had never heard the automatic transmission downshift two gears to maintain speed on a hill - some places are steep. There was a lot of fog over Hall Lake in Haliburton in the morning but it had dissipated by 10:00 AM, just like the weather San Francisco used to have. We went north to Dorset, west to Bracebridge then around Lake Muskoka to Port Carling to Port Sandfield to Rosseau. This is a very wealthy district - once going into Rosseau from the west, I saw four men and a woman standing at the side of the road waiting for their car to come. No mistaking the woman - nobody else looks like Goldie Hawn. And her cottage is across the lake from one owned by Martin Short. We headed back to Huntsville and then south to Toronto. On the way back to Huntsville, we saw a couple of flocks of pheasants and on the road to Dorset, we say a wild turkey (the bird, not the beverage).

Saturday was the first day I missed being on the boards this year. If you are travelling around, be aware that a lot of restaurants are only open for takeout meaning their washrooms are off limits, so this can be a problem if you don't plan or if you eat too much.

Platinum and palladium can be worth quite a bit of money but often people will try to cut out the honeycomb and do some refining themselves (without safety or environmental controls).

Soooo, who would that person sell the metals to once they've refined it in their own garage?

Finally got some pic's of the headlights and they should be shipping out today and delivered by the weekend. Love how simple and clean they are. They have the custom lens etching, RGB demon eyes, and the projectors were upgraded to Morimoto 4TL-R's to not have to deal with flipping the shields....JDM front end swap here I come.:wub:

2.1.thumb.jpg.87b8e3270b9fe2d12b8befeac3709fad.jpg

4.1.thumb.jpg.69c0fa95b809a899c655b23947476abb.jpg

1.1.thumb.jpg.c1eb0a447a08c00750469a411fd01a18.jpg

3.1.thumb.jpg.c2e198dbca25f8c09b34ff9dd488fd3f.jpg

They friggin fit TL projectors in there!! Maybe I won't do the mini h1 easy kit. I didn't figure they'd fit. That looks really good. Interested in what you think of the demon eyes. I'd like to do some but have seen mixed reviews of how brightly they appear irl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a bit of an unplanned evening. Wagon sucked a quart of coolant on the way home from Wisconsin last weekend. Pressure tested the system after work, found the lower rad hose seeping. Fixed, easy. Then, noticed the first rust bubble I've seen on the car, on one of the rear arches. Took it down, POR-15'd and touch up tomorrow. Decided to drop the well liners and see how the back side looks, and found a bunch of small spots there. Now it's 9 PM, I'm all dirty in my work clothes, but all the small spots I could get to are ground and coated.

Stopgap measure at best, think I'm going to follow Chocoholic's lead and strip the car and do it proper, either this winter or next summer. This wagon's worth saving.

*twitch*

IMG_20200922_194457_copy_2000x1500.thumb.jpg.6eb5c2897ebe57fa895af90ed69a7580.jpg

IMG_20200922_194446_copy_2000x1500.thumb.jpg.46d18f3e0717dd1cfc46e165af94db9b.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle