LegacyGT.com

Which Top Mount

I have an 05 legacy gt with an sti ra shortblock. I'm getting 300whp with 307tq on a mustang dyno, 5eat transmission. Looking to upgrade from the vf52 to the 1.5 xtr and am was wondering what top mount I need to make it work and anything else. Thanks Edited by jrae2424

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a complete kit for $970, would this process west work?

And I'm still confused as to why exactly the AVO top mount I have won't work with the 1.5 xtr?

Also, someone recommened going with the blouch 380xt which would illiminate the need to upgrade the top mount? I'm trying to get to 340-350 whp with the 5eat. I have 850cc injectors, exhaust, fuel pump, intake, headers, boost controller, downpipe, upipe. so there shouldn't much more to do other than a proper turbo.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/intercoolers/prw-pwtmic00b-process-west-top-mount-intercooler-black

Edited by jrae2424

That Process West is for a STI.

You need the GS tmic for a Legacy GT. It is the best fitting and easiest to install and work with. Both my cars have one.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/categories/make/subaru/legacy-legacy-gt/intercooler/

Here's the stock set up on my Spec B. The vf52 in the wagon is the same.

DSCN7060.thumb.JPG.468a785eef0f703e49281f16b27e6053.JPG

For a 1.5xtr turbo you would need a different hose from the turbo.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That Process West is for a STI.

You need the GS tmic for a Legacy GT. It is the best fitting and easiest to install and work with. Both my cars have one.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/categories/make/subaru/legacy-legacy-gt/intercooler/

Sweet. I'll think I'll put the order in today.

Am that pretty cool to see that you still have the wagon after 8 years, how many miles at this point, and how is it running? I would love to come down and check them out sometime, or if you have a link to some pics, send them my way.

Don’t forget you’ll need that $85 hose I listed above as well because the GS TMIC comes with the flange mount and hose for stock turbo, which actually is why the AVO won’t work with the xtr. The compressor outlet on the xtr is STI style not flange style like the WRX/LGT. Also the GS LGT TMIC will come with the proper hood splitter which Process West no longer makes from what I understand. Although I believe boxkita on this forum may still have some custom made splitters available.

Sweet. I'll think I'll put the order in today.

Am that pretty cool to see that you still have the wagon after 8 years, how many miles at this point, and how is it running? I would love to come down and check them out sometime, or if you have a link to some pics, send them my way.

I've had the wagon since new June 28 2004, currently has 294,800 miles.

The Spec B I bought Mar 2011, it has 93,000 miles

Both have custom tunes from tuningalliance@gmail.com they run flawlessly.

DSCN7057.thumb.JPG.4284e51c6d411eba49fe33a3299aca58.JPG

DSCN8575.thumb.JPG.1dff29253973804f6ecb093d8e4ced84.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don’t forget you’ll need that $85 hose I listed above as well because the GS TMIC comes with the flange mount and hose for stock turbo, which actually is why the AVO won’t work with the xtr. The compressor outlet on the xtr is STI style not flange style like the WRX/LGT. Also the GS LGT TMIC will come with the proper hood splitter which Process West no longer makes from what I understand. Although I believe boxkita on this forum may still have some custom made splitters available.

i have a couple left. :)

FWIW, I have a Perrin TMIC and I like it. It doesn't require modifications to the hood scoop like the Grimmspeed unit does. It's quite bulky, but it's well-made and handles my VF46 just fine.

The 1.5xtr has a hose type compressor outlet unlike the VF46’s two bolt flange outlet. The Grimmspeed and Process west can accommodate this.

The Dom 1.5XTR will be CHOKED by a TMIC. WASTE of money to use that turbo with a TMIC. It was designed for a FMIC and if you speak to Blouch they will confirm my findings.

Not to mention the transmission strain on the 5EAT. Need to do some work there too.

The Dom 1.5XTR will be CHOKED by a TMIC. WASTE of money to use that turbo with a TMIC. It was designed for a FMIC and if you speak to Blouch they will confirm my findings.

Not to mention the transmission strain on the 5EAT. Need to do some work there too.

Msprank can you elaborate on this comment a bit? I ask because not only do I know a few forum members locally that are running a 1.5xtr with good success and making good power (on Grimmspeed topmounts), but my next upgrade for the track car was going to be this turbo or maybe even a 2.5xtr. I’d prefer to stay top mount thru this process and this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned that these Turbos are not suited well to TMIC’s :(

@DaveWaters.....could he use this hose with the VF52 or the hose that comes with the Intercooler kit will work fine?

Msprank can you elaborate on this comment a bit? I ask because not only do I know a few forum members locally that are running a 1.5xtr with good success and making good power (on Grimmspeed topmounts), but my next upgrade for the track car was going to be this turbo or maybe even a 2.5xtr. I’d prefer to stay top mount thru this process and this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned that these Turbos are not suited well to TMIC’s

Good success meaning they have no clue how much they left on the table. Why spend good money on a good turbo to not use its potential?

The DOM 1.5XTR was my favorite street turbo. Capable of making 20+ psi by the mid 3000rpm's and with PROPER supporting mods can make well over 400whp on a stock block (Mustang AWD dyno). Many 6 to 5 downshifts left 4 tires spinning at speed. So much fun its dangerous.

The required cooling for the compressed intake charge can not be properly accomplished by a TMIC. Not a PW, not a GS, certainly not an AVO or Perrin or any of the knock offs. The turbo NEEDS a FMIC to operate as designed. Call Blouch and ask if the DOM 1.5XTR is recommended with a TMIC and they will tell you "No, it is designed to be used with a FMIC". Same for all the XTR turbos. All GREAT turbos imho.

The fast boost hit creates a lot of low end torque, which destroys the 5EAT without proper modifications.

Good success meaning they have no clue how much they left on the table. Why spend good money on a good turbo to not use its potential?

The DOM 1.5XTR was my favorite street turbo. Capable of making 20+ psi by the mid 3000rpm's and with PROPER supporting mods can make well over 400whp on a stock block (Mustang AWD dyno). Many 6 to 5 downshifts left 4 tires spinning at speed. So much fun its dangerous.

The required cooling for the compressed intake charge can not be properly accomplished by a TMIC. Not a PW, not a GS, certainly not an AVO or Perrin or any of the knock offs. The turbo NEEDS a FMIC to operate as designed. Call Blouch and ask if the DOM 1.5XTR is recommended with a TMIC and they will tell you "No, it is designed to be used with a FMIC". Same for all the XTR turbos. All GREAT turbos imho.

The fast boost hit creates a lot of low end torque, which destroys the 5EAT without proper modifications.

Given the constraints your talking about with a TMIC, (Grimmspeed for instance), what would be your pick for a turbo that maximizes the potential of the set up for a track car, (assuming proper fueling, and other necessary mods are in place)? Asking for a friend :)

What type of track? HPDE, SCCA, Auto-X, drag, etc?

For cone killing and small course you want fast spool and power/torque to come on fast. For a longer road course you can use larger/later spooling turbos. For the drags...

As you want to stay with a TMIC, I would not go larger than an 18g. With an 05 5EAT I would look into a shift kit as well.

All HPDE road race track, no sanctioned racing other than Time Trials once in awhile. Dang, you feel 20G is even too big for a large TMIC? Currently running a custom EVO 16G built by JMP. Tranny is a STI 6 speed.

Edited by shralp

I will be running the dom 1.5xtr 10cm on E85 with a grimmspeed tmic. I still have some odds and ends to button up, will be dyno tuned 10/15 and 10/16.

My old GT ran the BCP x500+ and x500 both on 21psi on the GS tmic with 93 octane

Any chance you'll be doing a 93 pump gas tune as well? Love to hear what kind of numbers you put down

Sure will, it will be tuned on 93 and then E85. I will be running a flex fuel setup. Will keep it posted!

Will be tuned by the same shop and tuner (Hill @ Agile Automotive) that did the x500 and x500+. So it will be a direct comparison for those turbos as well

Edited by Marvick08GT