LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

Once we reviewed the video of the yarn lying dormant on the rear window, we started making guesses.

We didn't have appropriate material to add a Gurney flap to the trailing edge of the spoiler...the steel angle got vetoed pretty quick.

So we used the box from the jack stands to add shaping to the rear of the car. And added tape to the gap between the roof and the spoiler (no tests to show the difference :-( ).

You'll note the location of the 2 aerials in the static shot. they are about 6 inches apart. When you look at the high speed shot, the blue one is about 4 inches inside the white one.

This is the 2nd test of the cardboard side wing. The first one had separation of the airflow. Turns out air doesn't flow just because you make a path for it. Our math consisted of cutting the top of the cardboard to be flush with the bottom of the spoiler and using an prop to push the trailing edge into position. This is called CAD - Cardboard Aided Development.

HF cardboard is not the stiffest stuff but worked really well, even at speed. After this test stretch, using CFD for testing makes so much sense. This series raised more questions and what-ifs than it answered.

This was our final test.

Many thanks to Magnusonsubie for letting me put tape all over the rear of your car.

CroppedRearSideWingWithCamera.jpg.17ffcd544774abac5fb00cf7d88359da.jpg

AtRest.thumb.jpg.e7bd08d29c7c438c565fa2814166683c.jpg

40mph.thumb.jpg.2b5fdaf16307fff8322f8b8fd55b17f7.jpg

60mph.thumb.jpg.b705c25bb99a8d92e3e4fb51361bd3c5.jpg

fastestmph-better.thumb.jpg.f894d2d0597597240f81b4cc89027cb2.jpg

Good work Boxkita!

Keep it up.

I made the mistake (once!) at ORP of running with the front splitter but no rear wing. I promptly spun off the track at turn 16, the only turn where you can really hit anything. Luckily I spun off into the dirt, not the wall.

Never ran with the splitter and no wing again!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

As an official Official of Lucky Dog Racing League, I can say with great certainty that if you contact us (by us I mean the owner, Cathy) then you can bring the Subie(s) out and race with us. There is a chance you'll be put in the EC class because the car is too new, but you'll still get ~14 hours of racing for a couple hundred bucks, and there isn't any cheaper fun OR development time than that!

On the other hand, with the pace of this project, by the time it's road-worthy you'll be within the age range for the series :)

Also Boxkita, I've still got my 05 LGT with the STi trans etc sitting in the driveway if you're interested. Haven't gotten back to trying to sell it with the multiple new race car builds that are more engaging.

If anyone has any questions about Lucky Dog, feel free to ask.

Erik

On the other hand, with the pace of this project, by the time it's road-worthy you'll be within the age range for the series :)

Erik

I didn't realize Lucky Dog has a 65+ year olds senior league. That's great!

As an official Official of Lucky Dog Racing League, I can say with great certainty that if you contact us (by us I mean the owner, Cathy) then you can bring the Subie(s) out and race with us. There is a chance you'll be put in the EC class because the car is too new, but you'll still get ~14 hours of racing for a couple hundred bucks, and there isn't any cheaper fun OR development time than that!

Also Boxkita, I've still got my 05 LGT with the STi trans etc sitting in the driveway if you're interested. Haven't gotten back to trying to sell it with the multiple new race car builds that are more engaging.

If anyone has any questions about Lucky Dog, feel free to ask.

Erik

I completely zoned on you being an inspector. Any interest in coming to the Ridge this friday? We're running the mustang in a test day. Targeting the Portland race as our debut event.

Cathy and I have had a few discussion about the legalities of running the wagon. I'm on the Team Pony Express Lucky Dog team. A team that started among friends on this forum. :wub: When our car was disabled and became permanently retired, I asked about running the wagon. Sending her a pic of the race wagon didn't help. I got a "welcome to 2020" invite. That's how we ended up with the mustang.

Hmm. IDK where I'd park it. lemme think about your wagon. It has most of things I want. Including the running part :lol:

Here I'm somewhat looking for a non-running 5mt LGT Wagon. I figure if I'm going to get back in the game it will be all around better to buy a non-running one and then build it the way I want it to be.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Here I'm somewhat looking for a non-running 5mt LGT Wagon. I figure if I'm going to get back in the game it will be all around better to buy a non-running one and then build it the way I want it to be.

Boxkita sure has one or more of those!

At this point, I'd sell my street car minus the motor. You can build whatever you want. I'd put the motor in the racecar.

Price would have to be right for me to haul the trailer up and pick it up. I'm not sure I'm even in a place to make it happen right now.

Ya'll can split the distance and meet at my house. Hwy 97 from Shasta to Seattle is 1,000X prettier than an I-5 run. And the same time since you skip traffic in Portland, Tacoma, Olympia.

Boxkita is banned from snooping around in my garage though.

Ya'll can split the distance and meet at my house. Hwy 97 from Shasta to Seattle is 1,000X prettier than an I-5 run. And the same time since you skip traffic in Portland, Tacoma, Olympia.

Are you sure? I'm sure there are a few things that fit the wagon still lurking there. I don't need your welder any more, tho. Picked one up this weekend. I'd assumed you called the seller ahead of time...he kept his garage locked up the whole time. :spin:

Yeah but how is it with a double axle 20' car trailer? :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

More than it is with a 18 foot double axle trailer. :lol:

I could haul the whole car down, put it in Sgt.Gator's garage next to the Sti. Strip my car down. You could take the shell home and I could take the motor home. I'll bring both cranes down so we can get both engines out quicker, too. ;)

Piece of cake. It's a main US Hwy. Runs right past Crater Lake. It's my route to Thunderhill, no problem with a trailer.

And I have a Exedy Twin Disk Hyper Clutch with new replacement clutches I'll have to lock up when Boxkita gets near.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Piece of cake. It's a main US Hwy. Runs right past Crater Lake. It's my route to Thunderhill, no problem with a trailer.

And I have a Exedy Twin Disk Hyper Clutch with new replacement clutches I'll have to lock up when Boxkita gets near.

How do the twin disk hyper clutches feel?

Edited by Rhitter

Some day, the wagon will be race ready. I'll be timing my arrival so we pit next to each other. That way, my spare parts bin will always be nearby. :wub:

Good to know. Let me know the next time you head to ThunderHill I'll try to head up to help out.

2003 Baja 5MT

I completely zoned on you being an inspector. Any interest in coming to the Ridge this friday? We're running the mustang in a test day. Targeting the Portland race as our debut event.

Cathy and I have had a few discussion about the legalities of running the wagon. I'm on the Team Pony Express Lucky Dog team. A team that started among friends on this forum. :wub: When our car was disabled and became permanently retired, I asked about running the wagon. Sending her a pic of the race wagon didn't help. I got a "welcome to 2020" invite. That's how we ended up with the mustang.

Hmm. IDK where I'd park it. lemme think about your wagon. It has most of things I want. Including the running part :lol:

I'm shop-swamped, won't make friday. Plus, kids birthday party etc etc.

If you really want to bring the (or any) LGT out to Lucky Dog just let me know and I'll work on Cathy about it. We want the series to be accessible but up-market from LeMons, and what defines that better than a Subaru? Plus, it'll spin the #3 rod bearing in hour 6 so the position is a moot point. (I'm not jaded, I swear).

Make an offer on the wagon. Any of you! I need it out of the driveway! Details email freerangeracing@gmail.com.

I'll be surprised if you have it running by 2020. So Lucky Dog should be no problem.