LegacyGT.com

Trans Noise

CwhillVT

I started noticing a noise while in 5th gear at highway speed. With no throttle (coasting in 5th) = no noise. Then starting with even the smallest amount of gas, well before the turbo begins to build pressure, I begin to hear a sort of gear noise. It isnt a "whirring" noise but more of a whooshing noise (kinda hard to explain). But it exists even before any load is really applied, like starting in the neutral state between deceleration and beginning to accelerate. I don't think I hear it in 4th but I think I can hear it a little in 3rd. I have a lwfw and act hdmm clutch, could be that but I hadn't really noticed any noise in the now 10k miles with it. Synchros maybe? Any ideas? It is definately drive line related as It goes away when the clutch is in or in neutral.

• 4 months later...
I know my ACT clutch makes noises on light/no throttle... but it goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in... does yours change with the position of the clutch pedal?

Yep, goes away when clutch is pushed, or even when in neutral.

I dont know, to me it is sounding like a trans bearing going bad but I might be overly worried.

Archived