LegacyGT.com

Brake master cylinder brace?

Found one made in Russia on eBay. Advertised as for US models since Russia is LHD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Cylinder-Stopper-For-Subaru-Outback-BR-Legacy-BM-LHD/183653011593

Look like it has less mounting points than the Cusco design.

Should still work.

Can someone with Cusco brace comment on if the mounting points on this brace uses existing holes

and don't have to be drilled?

Have you tried this one? The master cylinder looks like its only being supported by a bolt, is that going to be strong enough to stop the master cylinder from flexing?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Cusco mounting points have to be drilled, and uses all existing holes. One hole requires a screw receptacle similar to a license plate bracket screw. This specific mounting spot I've mentioned looks to be the one that is not used on this new ebay brace, so it's a non-issue.

Ah. I see I guess I read it wrong a few pages back.

The issue is where I can find Cusco one or Cusco copies?

Have you tried this one? The master cylinder looks like its only being supported by a bolt, is that going to be strong enough to stop the master cylinder from flexing?

Not yet, but how much does the cylinder move that's the question.

I suppose this is more of a light weight design comparing to the Cusco one

just might not be as effective

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Shoot Zee a PM on here or Facebook, he was able to source one from China for LHD. The Hardrace ones look to be clones of the Cusco one.

I'm not sure tbh, it looks like a small bolt is the only thing that supports the master cylinder. I might give it a try though.

I'm not sure tbh, it looks like a small bolt is the only thing that supports the master cylinder. I might give it a try though.

That is pretty much what all of them do, just push a jam bolt against the end of the master cylinder. I would love to see someone put a dial indicator against the master cylinder and measure the deflection from pressing the brake pedal.

That is pretty much what all of them do, just push a jam bolt against the end of the master cylinder. I would love to see someone put a dial indicator against the master cylinder and measure the deflection from pressing the brake pedal.

Yes, but my concern is with the size of the bolt and would it do much to stop the deflection of the master cylinder. I have a video where someone actually records and shows the amount of deflection with and without a brake stopper if you're interested. The one he uses at first has an even sturdier looking bolt and it still deflects, he does say it feels better however. You can skip to 0:24 if you want to hear his explanation of the deflection, or to 1:45 to see the results.

Video:

Edited by 5thGenCVT

• 2 weeks later...
The Hardrace brace arrived quickly and nicely double-boxed once Hardrace USA had it and the brace itself lined up nicely and installed quickly. Three mounting points on my '14 Outback 2.5i 6MT are threaded and ready to go. One isn't drilled (bottom most, closest to the firewall) and the last but likely most important mounting point is the other rear hole that comes out in the wheel well at the spring perch. Getting the bolt or nut in that goes into the wheel well is a bit annoying but the others line up and thread in quickly. I don't know how well the hardware will hold up to water and salt but it looks shiny for now. As for the function of the brace, I'm surprised every time I've installed one at how much difference it makes. I always mocked the braces as stupid until a friend did a blind A-B test with me as the driver in a '15 WRX. I learned that Subaru definitely cuts some corners on firewall rigidity! Anyway, I'm happy with it!

20190323_124014.thumb.jpg.f0b53fe97a10eca4600c9e67b60686b8.jpg

20190323_124039.thumb.jpg.fcecee3b058a2dc86849e9533f191562.jpg

20190323_124115_HDR.thumb.jpg.58df3948c43d10ca31518398e33b6fe0.jpg

Edited by jdmorris

The Hardrace brace arrived quickly and nicely double-boxed once Hardrace USA had it and the brace itself lined up nicely and installed quickly. Three mounting points on my '14 Outback 2.5i 6MT are threaded and ready to go. One isn't drilled (bottom most, closest to the firewall) and the last but likely most important mounting point is the other rear hole that comes out in the wheel well at the spring perch. Getting the bolt or nut in that goes into the wheel well is a bit annoying but the others line up and thread in quickly. I don't know how well the hardware will hold up to water and salt but it looks shiny for now. As for the function of the brace, I'm surprised every time I've installed one at how much difference it makes. I always mocked the braces as stupid until a friend did a blind A-B test with me as the driver in a '15 WRX. I learned that Subaru definitely cuts some corners on firewall rigidity! Anyway, I'm happy with it!

Awesome how did you actually order it though? I went one the website and when I went to check out it says that I need a company name to check out?

Edited by 5thGenCVT

So I got mine second hand but it was never used... I was told it was limited time thing made specifically for our cars. It looks just like the custco from what I can tell in pics online. But this is one of my favorite mods I've done the difference is night and day. I've driven supercars that can't stop with this thing. 510435886b595117d2de52abfb51f247.jpg912612088c23fe62b9298897c0c7dc63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

that looks like one of the RikGT ones (one thing that looks to be different on those and the cusco vs. the hardrace one is the extra bracing inside the angled part that the holder rod goes through)

• 2 weeks later...
I was emailed back, hardrace dosent make them for the 2012 legy, anyone know where I can get one.

..yes they do. There's literally a picture of one installed higher up on this page. It's the same fitment for Outback and Legacy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/182722033139.

I was emailed back, hardrace dosent make them for the 2012 legy, anyone know where I can get one.
12 Leggy is the same as 11 Leggy and 10 Leggy and 13 Leggy and if you're in the US 14 Leggy and if you're in the rest of the LHD world also the 09 Leggy.

This is the response I recieved, so the outback one will fit I'm not sure why hardrace couldn't tell me this?

Hi Shea,

Thanks for your interest in Hardrace products.

We do not have master cylinder brake for 2012 Legacy gt.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Betty Chu

HARDRACE CO., LTD. Export Dep.

This is the response I recieved, so the outback one will fit I'm not sure why hardrace couldn't tell me this?

Hi Shea,

Thanks for your interest in Hardrace products.

We do not have master cylinder brake for 2012 Legacy gt.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Betty Chu

HARDRACE CO., LTD. Export Dep.

It's a special order part, give them the part number (8618) and tell them you'd like to order one. I think it's because it was made for other markets and not the U.S., but when I bought mine the guy told me that they were getting a shipment of them in stock so they should have some left, unless they all sold.