LegacyGT.com

Rotated Twin Scroll EFR 7163 build

Well, it's time. I'm working with a fabricator to adapt his existing rotated kit to fit an EFR twin scroll 7163. I'm pretty excited to see how fast I can get the new setup to spool and where it ends up for top end power. Some details..

321SS twin scroll header

321SS twin scroll up-pipe

EFR7163 IWG T4 twin scroll 0.80 A/R

304SS v-band downpipe with flex

3 in. MAF intake for rotated turbo

Turbosmart dual port IWG actuator

I'm keeping with the ported STI intake manifold with stock orientation for now. I still have my LGT intake manifold if I decide to flip it later on.

I will be reusing my AVO FMIC and ID1000s with DW300 hardwired. I plan to run 93 octane for daily driving but may do 100 or 110 octane tune as well for some fun on track. If Cobb comes out with flex fuel support for the AccessPort I may go with ID1300's and go that route. I will be starting with a MAF tune and then working on a speed density tune. I already have the 4 BAR MAP sensor and relocated IAT sensor.

Any suggestions for install or small parts to use with the EFR? I'm planning to get AN fittings for the oil drain and coolant ports. I will be blocking off their BOV and using only my Tial Q. I may use the EFR BCS if I can determine what connector it uses in advance and make an adapter harness to the stock connector.

You can find my built motor thread but it's a built bottom end with GSC S1 head work and mild porting. The headwork should pair nicely with the power band of the 7163.

Current setup is a DOM1.5XT-R 10cm with Grimmspeed manifolds and up-pipe.

Making some notes for myself for fitting sizes and mating parts.

-4AN oil feed fitting

3/8NPT oil drain / M8x1.25 holes

Water ports: M14x1.5

Update 9/20/15: See post #26 for pics. Still cleaning up the install a little bit but it's functional.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got a BW EFR6258 working in the stock location without the FR kit (fabricated up pipe and down pipe). Let me know if you need a list of oil and coolant fittings to make EFR turbo's work on our cars.

I have some sample pics of the header up-pipe I'll upload. Fabricator is modifying for IWG and EFR

Stock sized valves. Larger valves are pointless.

sjxbrd, Yeah if you have a list of the oil and coolant fittings, that would be awesome!

That is sexy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Suggest you ditch the TiAL and use the built-in BPV instead. This is much of the reason boost recovery is near instantaneous on this turbo.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...

The turbosmart 50mm flange blank plate doesn't work. The Tial has a lip on the outside which I forgot about. So, I am using the EFR BPV and the Tial BOV is still installed with no pressure reference connected to it. I do not hear it opening up or anything and briefly ran 14 PSI tonight. The EFR BPV is so quiet and the car runs nicely with it. I like it.

We just ironed out some fitment issues with the kit, so I am happy with how it fits now. I am going to re-run the vacuum lines for using both ports of my IWG actuator. Then, open loop tuning starts and I'll share some logs.

Archived