LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak above oil filter

Hi guys, new development on my end. I have an oil leak that shows up on the front edge and above the oil filter. It’s kinda hard to tell where it’s coming from from the underside. Has anyone had issues similar to this? I will post an image when I get to my desktop.

Heads rebuilt at 108k.

2007 LGT 140k

That would be the oil cooler being loose. Next time you have the oil filter off tighten the center stud where the oil filter screws onto.

DSCN4734.thumb.JPG.d49d3892fda5fa06f4f21300af615e3d.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi Max, thanks for the quick reply. I am tempted to take it back to the place that did the oil change and have them do it. Not their fault and will cost me oil replacement, but worth it to not have oil on my garage floor or a leak in general.

Since I lowered the car with some King springs my damn ramps don't work anymore.

It's a 24mm deep well to 40ft lbs. Which isn't extremely tight with a 1/2 ratchet or breaker. I always hesitate letting oil change places do anything since the last time I went to one they broke my hood latch release. It's actually been broken twice by two different places and I feel like that's the minimum they should know.

That said it looks like it's coming around the cooler. Might be that seal, which is real cheap, or the whole cooler. There's nothing above it though. So unless it's running from the pan or down the front of the engine from somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s what I can see without removing much. I am going with the oil cooler seal, or it’s just not tight. I am of course open to any ideas. This little hose might be t he culprit too. 0ff847e37e5d6c1699bb20cbd7ce95ed.jpg

I definitely think the first thing is to tighten it, whether yourself or a shop of some sort, next step would be pull the cooler off and inspect that oring between the block and the cooler. Maybe you could try wiggling it or spinning it. Although I think it would need to be very loose for that.

Thinking about how old that coolant crossover pipe is, I would be careful about letting a oil change place remove the cooler to replace the seal if it comes to that.

FWIW, I lay 2x6's on the driveway before my ramps to raise the car a bit so the bumper doesn't hit the ramps. If you need you can make steps in the 2x6's as a pre-ramp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just had my oil cooler gasket replaced. The symptom was a very slow leak from the area. There was always a few drops on the bottom of the oil filter when I changed the oil.

From reading, it is a common problem. The gasket starts to flatten over time and can't seal anymore. Someone had posted a picture of an old one and new one side by side and the new one had more rounded shape.

Thinking about how old that coolant crossover pipe is, I would be careful about letting a oil change place remove the cooler to replace the seal if it comes to that.

Looking at OP's pics I was marveling at how rust-free everything looks in there. Looks like a PNW car. :lol:

They do salt the roads here, not with New England type frequency, but that coolant pipe is in a great location to get hit with salty road spray, and to then get baked by the exhuast piping to accelerate corrosion. Mine was nasty enough that I replaced it when I did the oil cooler o-ring. Also did the little rubber elbows and clamps to that hardpipe, and the coolant hose between the oil cooler & block. It was only slightly fiddly, not too bad but not something I'd trust to a kwik-e-lube type place.

FWIW - I don’t use any quick lube places. Fogging a mirror is not my idea of an application process. I’m going to order the O-ring and have it on hand to replace it.

Yes, it is a PNW car. As long as you’re not at the coast you’re in good shape. However they love to spread cinders and gravel on the road in Oregon. Which reminds me I need to put my clear bra on since I painted the car this summer.

This is the video I plan on following for the repair. I will not be doing a oil cooler removal unless I have to. Turns out there are 4 seals to replace if you want to dive deep enough. I hope replacing the one between the cooler and the block is enough. If not, well then I guess I will know how to do it in the future. LOL

• Thanks 1

So I'll have to look again but on my 08 the oil cooler is double that size and I swear it goes straight into the block, nothing else. There's also nothing else in my fsm. 08 not 07 but I didn't think they changed much.

The images from maxcapacitys rebuild of his 05 also doesn't look like that. I don't think you need to worry about the other seals.

I didn't watch the whole video but I think you are just worried about that one in the cooler. That he says is all you need on the NA vehicles.

So I'll have to look again but on my 08 the oil cooler is double that size and I swear it goes straight into the block, nothing else. There's also nothing else in my fsm. 08 not 07 but I didn't think they changed much.

The images from maxcapacitys rebuild of his 05 also doesn't look like that. I don't think you need to worry about the other seals.

I didn't watch the whole video but I think you are just worried about that one in the cooler. That he says is all you need on the NA vehicles.

That’s what I am going with as my course of action. Project starts tomorrow afternoon. Just need to pick up oil to refill.

I just replaced my seal a few weeks ago it was really smooshed and brittle. If you are planning to do a coolant change in the near future do it then, it is easier than if you are doing just the oil and filter because of clearances. Also get a set of small picks or maybe a piece of steel wire would work to get the old one out.

I got it done. It’s not as hard as I thought even without removing coolant and dropping the oil cooler out completely.

I used a pick to grab the old gasket and the new one dropped right into place. Images attached to show the difference in gasket height. b1ab8083a6e383d6b650a0030ad88fa5.jpg