LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I’m stealing those stats when (if) I list mine. Same year and color (but my miles are a bit more modest).

Sarang, give it a bit of time. There is an audience out there, either a WRXer or someone like me who needed a family car with guts and a stick. You’ll also be hoping for a buyer who, unlike me, knows how to wrench to take care of as much maintenance as possible, and who might even look at the mods as a great head start. In any case, unless cash flow is an acute issue, see what pops this weekend or next when people have time to look for their next ride.

Thanks for all the input. Good stuff. I had a hard time trying to price it. A couple of dealers offered me $1000 and $750 trade in, which I knew was wrong, but then a 2.5i with similar miles and dings/scratches is borderline worthless.

I also had a hard time trying to write the description. I don't want to scare people away, but it is a turbo Subaru with 200k miles on pretty much everything but the clutch. Significant repairs such as a blown engine are a legitimate risk.

Looking on cars.com, prices are all over, but support 6k as not being unreasonable. For sales, you are clear about the mileage - anyone buying the car will understand that.

Dealers are going to auction a car like that off - too many miles - so taking it on is extra work and risk to them, so the offer will be low.

2010, 112k miles - 12990 (premium trim, clean)

2010, 121k miles - 12988 (premium trim, looks modded)

2010, 122k miles - 11295 (premium, aftermarket leather, clean)

2010, 145k miles - 9999 (premium trim, looks modded, clean)

2010, 127k miles - 12500 (limited trim, NAV, clean)

2010, 201k miles - 8900 (limited trim, no pictures)

2011, 155k miles - 11595 (limited trim, no pictures)

2012, 130k miles - 12995 (limited trim, NAV, clean)

2012, 148k miles - 10900 (limited trim, NAV, clean)

2012, 104k miles - 13000 (limited trim - only 1 picture)

2012, 147k miles - 9985 (with lots of zip-tie stitches on bumpers...)

Man, I'm seeing everyone jump ship. Can't really blame em on a 10 year old car. Any of you guys looking to keep or get a final manual/modifiable car before they all become relics?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man, I'm seeing everyone jump ship. Can't really blame em on a 10 year old car. Any of you guys looking to keep or get a final manual/modifiable car before they all become relics?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Honestly my priorities just changed and the Legacy was starting to show her age. In 2019 I spent more dollars, not to mention time, repairing her than the new crosstrek will cost me in all of 2020. The Crosstrek is completely different with the Eyesight, CVT, and hardly any power. I'm actually a huge fan of the CVT and Eyesight, though I know some people hate them with a fiery burning passion as hot as the sun. I think that it's different enough from the LGT that it doesn't suffer from comparison, so the differences aren't as in your face and don't seem like deficiencies. Sort of like how you wouldn't comment on the C8s inability to rock crawl.

I'm probably not at a place in life where I'd buy another turbo Legacy, but I might get the next generation of BRZ in '22 if it comes with Eyesight.

Honestly my priorities just changed and the Legacy was starting to show her age. In 2019 I spent more dollars, not to mention time, repairing her than the new crosstrek will cost me in all of 2020. The Crosstrek is completely different with the Eyesight, CVT, and hardly any power. I'm actually a huge fan of the CVT and Eyesight, though I know some people hate them with a fiery burning passion as hot as the sun. I think that it's different enough from the LGT that it doesn't suffer from comparison, so the differences aren't as in your face and don't seem like deficiencies. Sort of like how you wouldn't comment on the C8s inability to rock crawl.

I'm probably not at a place in life where I'd buy another turbo Legacy, but I might get the next generation of BRZ in '22 if it comes with Eyesight.

We have had 2 Crosstrek’s and now a Forester. They have less power, but our last 2 have had Eyesight and it’s awesome. I’m keeping my GT at least till next year. Possibly getting a 2 door Bronco or Wrangler.

Going to enjoy the GT till then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Legacy GT is still running strong and I have it the way I want it (well besides want to remove the poly bushings in the rear suspension). I have been driving it less than 5k miles year, so it probably has a lots of years left in it. I just paid off my Legacy GT recently; I like not having car loans (or any other debt other than my house). I foresee keep my Legacy GT at least a few more years and I am probably not buying a new car for 3-4 years.

I am definitely going to have always MT in my garage. My next car to replace my GMC Syclone will have a MT, I don't care if the auto/computer controlled manual version maybe faster. I am not so sure I will have a MT as daily driver though. It is not because I don't want want one, it is just the options are limited. My current thought is to buy a new OBXT to replace my Legacy GT and OB.

I was hung ho about buying a new WRX a few years go, if I hadn't bought a used Legacy GT. The new STI is suppose to be pushing 350hp, even if its make in the low 300's, with Cobb AP should be a fun car. I should be excited as it is an MT, turbo, AWD, but for some reason, I am just not excited about them or the STI's. I see them all over the place...

Honestly my priorities just changed and the Legacy was starting to show her age. In 2019 I spent more dollars, not to mention time, repairing her than the new crosstrek will cost me in all of 2020.

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Before buying my 1st Legacy in 2012, the car I had before was constantly giving me issues. It seemed like by the time I researched and fix the car, another issue would start to crop up. It get tiring fixing a car every couple months. I have the ability to fix the car myself, so I am not paying shop rates. If any of my cars start doing that, I will probably move on too.

I like not having car loans (or any other debt other than my house).

Yup I agree. Whenever I end up finding my next car (since I sold my car back in June), me and my mother will pay it in full. I just do not want the headache of a loan, plus I like owning things outright.

I’m still under 50k miles on my ‘10 LGT so it’s not going anywhere soon. I still have some cladding to install underneath and a new TMIC but after that it’s just maintenance and occasional driving. My modding will be focused on utility mods on my ‘12 Frontier in the near term. I say this knowing full well I will be subconsciously clocking new and used car prices. Maybe not Carreras or AMGs, but def curating a set of options in the used AWD MT 4-dr market.

My middle son and I were just having this very conversation. What do I do when the GT finally reaches the end of its life, or has some catastrophic failure?

To me its the perfect balance of Manual/awd/power/comfort. I've driven a manual car since I turned 16 many moons ago. My kids are grown and have their own cars. I have an truck and trailer to haul crap. Wife drives a 2012 forester. The GT has 129k on it now so I have some time, another year or two probably.

I work on my own cars exclusively, so I prefer less technology equipped cars. The tools become too expensive to buy for the average DIY with all those gadgets. Torque wrenches are cheap, SSM4 is not.

Idk, I'd hate to turn it into a garage queen, but since there is nothing I'm paying cash for to replace it, maybe a beater 5 speed 2.5 or an older 3.6R for a daily might be the answer.

It's hard to find anything decent up here in NE PA. Everything gets rusted to shit. I just had to replace the rear diff cover on my 2004 excursion because it rusted to the point the gear oil was seeping through it.

This dilemma has definitely been on my mind.

It's hard to find anything decent up here in NE PA. Everything gets rusted to shit.

100% accurate. In MA trying to find a good used car is miserable (Even when our budget is $14,000 or less). I originally had my mind on either Acura or Infiniti. The Acuras that we've looked at (Front Wheel Drive) have ALL had rough vibrations in the front end. The front ends are probably junked out from the winter as well as the crappy roads we have. The other cars we looked at have all been smoked inside of them :mad:. I've been looking at cars for close to 6 months now, even though we sold my Legacy in June. Now I am considering other cars, so hopefully making my choices more broad will help...

Maybe road trip to the southwest! When we got rid of our 05 Odyssey (bought new in 05, had 284k miles on it when we traded it in) you could remove most bolts and they looked new. Only the normal carbon steel stuff (rotors, etc.) had rust on them. My car is the same - looks brand new under the hood. (we still have plenty of issues with plastic getting brittle due to the heat, though!)

I'll hang on to my GT for a while - I really like it, really like driving a stick (have always driven a manual - 35 years or so...) it's been paid off for many years, and I don't put many miles on it each year. (and due to the unfortunate events of the spring in 2019, it has a new shortblock... so only like 6k miles on that...)

I am sure we'll replace the wifes van again before i am up for a new car.

Yup I agree. Whenever I end up finding my next car (since I sold my car back in June), me and my mother will pay it in full. I just do not want the headache of a loan, plus I like owning things outright.

When I was my 20's, I was good about saving up for what I wanted and I did some investing in stocks and retirement. [i was a good saver as kid too, but that doesn't count.] I got married and my ex-wife was more of monthly payment person, ie can afford the monthly payment? I at least ran a balanced budget and saved for retirement, but we were not really getting ahead. After my divorce, I wanted to get back to what I did before. I am back to spending less than I make, saving, and investing. I now think about how to make my money work for me and goals I want achieve.

It's hard to find anything decent up here in NE PA. Everything gets rusted to shit.

100% accurate. In MA trying to find a good used car is miserable (Even when our budget is $14,000 or less).

Maybe road trip to the southwest!

Agreed, you can always travel.

When I goto replace my summer only vehicle, I won't even touch a winter driven vehicle. Most likely I will end up buying southern vehicle or try to find a garage queen. I did end up buying my '12 Legacy GT in SoCal. I didn't start my search making that a requirement, but being rust free was a big plus. I was looking for '11 or '12 GT, so that doesn't given much of a selection even when looking national wide (only handful are FS usually) It sure seems like many of the Legacy GT are also located in snow belt area as well.

I even thought about trying to find a southern Outback when I bought mine, but decided against it.

Keeping the GT and getting a DD would definitely be preferable, but I don't think my wife would go for having 3 cars again.

sounds like you need to find a new wife!

That is an expensive way to get a 3rd car especially if one has a ‘good’ wife.

Sorry to loose so many lately. If Gteaser sells his we are all doomed. :)

I haven't seen him on here for awhile now.

I've had mine almost 7 years now, hard to say I want to let her go, but I think its time. If I keep it I know I'm going to end up sinking a whole lot more money and time I would rather spend with my kids while they are growing up. This has been on my mind for a few years now, its definitely not a hasty decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've had mine almost 7 years now, hard to say I want to let her go, but I think its time. If I keep it I know I'm going to end up sinking a whole lot more money and time I would rather spend with my kids while they are growing up. This has been on my mind for a few years now, its definitely not a hasty decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's better to get rid of something that's still running well, rather than wasting money on it. I had the same dilemma on my pickup truck over a year ago. I loved that thing to death, especially since it was the same model as my dad's truck that he's had since I was born. I could just tell it was time. There were more and more little issues that I could forsee becoming big problems.

That's awesome, congratulations! Have you looked into Lockheed Martin they are always looking for Engineers especially locally. Any particular field you are interested in?

As far as a 529 plan, I looked into one a couple years ago, I was mostly deterred by all the restrictions on them. I decided instead to contribute more to my 401k and if/when the time came to withdraw from there for tuition.

My degree had a focus on healthcare. I'm open to anything though.

I have A stock j pipe btw. Was thinking about selling it.

Is anyone into nitro rc cars. I have a old collection that I have been reassembling.Considering to put on the market soon

Edited by ibr_adam09

It's better to get rid of something that's still running well, rather than wasting money on it. I had the same dilemma on my pickup truck over a year ago. I loved that thing to death, especially since it was the same model as my dad's truck that he's had since I was born. I could just tell it was time. There were more and more little issues that I could forsee becoming big problems.

yep, had to do that with my old outback(which i coincidentally traded in on the GT). sometimes, no matter how much you love the car, it just doesn't make sense to keep throwing money and time at it...always disappointing and leaves a hole in the heart, but what can ya do? time marches on.