LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT rotated turbo thread

For general discussion regarding rotated turbo setups on 4th gen LGT.

Who (if any of you) have gone to a rotated turbo setup?

What kit did you purchase?

What are your impressions?

Drawbacks if any? (besides cost)

My first rotated setup was taking a stock location ATP GTX3576R, buying the full size Garrett compressor and turbine housings and Perrin rotated up and downpipes.

That setup was ok. The Perrin pipes had the turbo tilted too far back and it leaked oil out the turbine housing. I eventually made my own up and downpipe to correct that problem.

The only issues were fitment of the intake and compressor outlet pipes. Legacys with VDC have a different ABS module that gets in the way. I eventually relocated it to make more room.

Rotating is really only worth it if you want a really big turbo. There are plenty of high flowing, stock location turbos that can make a lot of power. The funnest setup I had on my car was the stock location 3576. It was stealthy, simple, and made good power.

The virtual dyno graph is a comparison between those 2 setups. Both were 30 psi tapering to mid 20s with meth injection.

591611022_ATPGTX3576renginebay-3.thumb.JPG.67b8c923993a8f4bf557bf9160b643ae.JPG

1696469652_ATPGTX3576rinstall-5.thumb.jpg.e20a192a13788d313a94236833aa4fa0.jpg

1325046839_GTX3576rt40bvst40e.thumb.JPG.529cd7040dd50ec5d2f941379dc03e9e.JPG

1849367010_GTX3576rrotatedupanddownpipes.thumb.jpg.dc62c7c2eadc78097597a2b03da8b23f.jpg

1034390685_GTX3576rinstall-8.thumb.JPG.2d879ad521246616e2bf056b43d768d2.JPG

1133905422_GTX3576rinstall-9.thumb.jpg.c11c9caa02bf54eeb7d29c9d234c3cda.jpg

1771632995_GTX3576rfinished.thumb.jpg.2d2ebad9e122b99b27c0e5ca7be6e64c.jpg

1070674228_stocklocationvsrotated.thumb.jpg.dea7a119b176b052b036c6144e3b305d.jpg

My tuner said I should go rotated to get 450whp on pump gas. I really don't want to go that route, and was considering the gtx3576r. I'm curious what your thoughts are!?

I thought it could be done, but your getting it done with meth injection. What size injectors?

You can make 450 on 93 with a GTX3576R Spoolinator turbo kit from Killer B. There's some threads on Nasioc about the Spoolinator and it seems like a really cool, stock location setup.

I think the injectors were in the 900cc range. It's been a while since I had that setup. Nowadays I wouldn't use anything smaller than ID1050Xs for a gas build.

I was going to go the simple route of atp gen 2 gtx3576r. What numbers did you get out of the gtx or did you just buy it and put on the bigger housings?

Did you ever run the spoolinator turbo kit?

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/spoolinator-turbo-kit.html

Kit even comes with the downpipe! I wonder if it will work with a tmic and if the downpipe bolts to stock location. It looks impressive and well worth the money, something like $3500. More research will be needed.

My main beef with rotated is you need to go fmic...

I did run the atp gtx3576r for a while. It made around 450 whp. I have a real dyno graph I can post up later.

A stock location gen 2 3576r may make 450 on pump. It helps that you're at sea level and have 93 octane. You can see from the virtual dyno graph how big of a difference the full size housings and 4" inlet make for top end power. The stock location stuff chokes the turbo at high airflow/boost.

I've never had the spoolinator kit. I really like it though. Sort of bridges the gap between a small housing stock location setup and a complete rotated setup.

The biggest issue with rotated is getting everything to fit properly. Coolant tank has to be moved, abs module is in the way, etc. But once you solve those issues it opens up a wide variety of turbos and makes the car easier to work on.

I wish I would have gone rotated initially. Looks like I'll be buying things twice. ( or 3 and 4 times with some stuff)

I'm already at 450whp with stock location BCP X500+

Next time it goes pop, I was considering going rotated and closed deck.

Yeah that's definitely something else to be considered. I could have saved a lot of money by just going rotated, big injectors, and big FMIC from the start.

In the time I've had my car I've had 7 different sized turbos, 5 different sets of injectors, 4 different intercooler setups, multiple turbo inlet configurations, two built EJ25s and now a built EZ30. Some people think I have a problem.

Here's the stock location 3576 dyno.

2023431918_ATPGTX3576r467whp29psi.thumb.jpg.c23e316740a237e540ed8d826b79b50b.jpg

Edited by BrandonspecB

5200rpm for max tq? & 143lb/tq at 2500rpm? Not sure how much fun that would be around town. If you are looking for a dyno graph, that looks expensive "7 different sized turbos, 5 different sets of injectors, 4 different intercooler setups, multiple turbo inlet configurations, two built EJ25s and now a built EZ30"

Looks like the KB spoolinator kit is about the only option?

I'm having trouble finding any rotated kits still in production

How much modifying would an 8-14 STI rotated kit need?

Custom looking like a strong candidate.

Full race efr kit? Pricey but high quality with good response.

Wow that adds up quickly, especially with the options. :spin::eek:

Would it not be significantly easier (cheaper) to do some custom fabrication utilizing most of my existing components?

KB Holy Headers and GrimmSpeed Down Pipe? Or am I missing something logistically?

Edited by gkinslow

I wish I would have gone rotated initially. Looks like I'll be buying things twice. ( or 3 and 4 times with some stuff)

I'm already at 450whp with stock location BCP X500+

Next time it goes pop, I was considering going rotated and closed deck.

Your advantage is not living in CA like me. In my case I would have to go with the spoolinator in hopes of keeping the car visual "friendly". Are you already use to the 450 whp? I made 500 whp on a DOM 1.5XT-R on E85 but I rarely run the car in the high boost setting let alone go over 12 psi very often.

Edited by Gabo

Your advantage is not living in CA like me. In my case I would have to go with the spoolinator in hopes of keeping the car visual "friendly". Are you already use to the 450 whp? I made 500 whp on a DOM 1.5XT-R on E85 but I rarely run the car in the high boost setting let alone go over 12 psi very often.

Yeah I see > 20psi every time I drive it.

I'm getting more of a long term plan together.

I'd be interested in seeing a few dyno graphs from those full race twin-scroll kits.

what fuel does everyone want to run or what are you actually running?

Brandon, was that dyno on pump gas? I'm not a fan of e85 for the long run.

gkinslow, Are you on 450 awhp on pump gas or something else?

high hp on pump gas is where its at! e85 adds like 100hp, cheat mode :). Thats why I am asking what fuel everyone is running for more clarification and documentation.

Would it not be significantly easier (cheaper) to do some custom fabrication utilizing most of my existing components?

KB Holy Headers and GrimmSpeed Down Pipe? Or am I missing something logistically?

It isn't that hard to convert a regular uppipe and downpipe to a rotated one.

The first time I built my own I hacked up a stock location uppipe and the Perrin rotated downpipe. It really wasn't too bad.

Does your header have the vband connection to the uppipe?

Brandon, was that dyno on pump gas?

Nope it was with meth injection. All my setups have been 91 octane with 50/50 water/methanol.

I think it would be easier to custom fabricate, especially if you know a good welder or can weld yourself.

From the stock uppipe u basically need a flange -> pipe -> flange to rotate the turbo, thats pretty much it in a nutshell. The pieces would be pretty cheap to fabricat now that i think about it. Like a mini uppipe on top of the regular uppipe and the top flange would determine what turbo and what degree its clocked, and the pipe would determine the height the turbo is raised.

It all comes down to cost of fabrication, basic pipes and flanges cost nothing compared to manufactured pieces. If you know someone who can weld properly costs should be cheap, its simple fabrication.

what fuel does everyone want to run or what are you actually running?

Brandon, was that dyno on pump gas? I'm not a fan of e85 for the long run.

gkinslow, Are you on 450 awhp on pump gas or something else?

high hp on pump gas is where its at! e85 adds like 100hp, cheat mode :). Thats why I am asking what fuel everyone is running for more clarification and documentation.

Is there a particular reason you don't wish to run E85 for the long term? I've been on E85 for about two years now. I make 370 WHP on straight Camifornia 91 octane fuel and 500 whp on E85. Yes! I picked up 130 whp switching to E85 :spin:

Oh I get it! I just don't want to drive on trips worrying about gas stations, closest stations to me don't have it, and I would have to drive into annoying high traffic areas to get it, i'm a man of convenience lol.... And I would rather be at 450 on pump gas, and have the option for more hp with e85.

Teh: I run E85 as it is plentiful where I live. I also have a FF kit sitting at Turn in Concepts waiting for install.

Brandon: My header to UP connection is V-band. That was what got me thinking about modifying my existing setup to accommodate a non stock location turbo.

how does the flex fuel kit work? is it plug and play? how does it work with a tune? cost and brand?

That would make things wayyyy more convenient, just put in whatever i want! I'll have to look into that as well.

how does the flex fuel kit work? is it plug and play? how does it work with a tune? cost and brand?

That would make things wayyyy more convenient, just put in whatever i want! I'll have to look into that as well.

I'm flex fuel but I wouldn't call it plug and play. You'll need a custom tune to run it. I wouldn't run E85 any other way though.

Yeah that's definitely something else to be considered. I could have saved a lot of money by just going rotated, big injectors, and big FMIC from the start.

In the time I've had my car I've had 7 different sized turbos, 5 different sets of injectors, 4 different intercooler setups, multiple turbo inlet configurations, two built EJ25s and now a built EZ30. Some people think I have a problem.

Here's the stock location 3576 dyno.

FWIW, from back about 2007 here's the GT3567R we had, the dyno sheet looked similar, very quick ramp up to 586whp.

Great turbo's, this turbo replaced a GT35R. That made 428whp on pump fuel on the street. The 35R would break the sticky front tires loss in the top end of a gear, yea, even 4th gear on the highway.

DSCF0752.thumb.jpg.b3b4c64e6091ddc5e1183ac82f9a8880.jpg

Sorry, just got kind of board and figured add to this post.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here