LegacyGT.com

Tire recommendations coming from stock?

Hi folks - need to replace the tires on my 15 Legacy and it came from the factory with Continental ProContacts I have not liked since day 1. I always felt like Bambi on ice with em when the road was a bit slippery - despite the AWD of course. So, perhaps I need something with a more aggressive thread but it would obviously /likely increase road noise.

Does anyone have any recommendations for new tires?

Ty!

Edit: for what it's worth it seems some folks on outback forums are suggesting the Michelin Premier A/S but holy hell they re kinda pricey.

Edited by Saberplane

Check out the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. It's an "all-weather" tire, branded with the mountain snowflake symbol. Prices are all over the place right now, but with some judiicious Internet shopping they can be had for as low as $110 per tire (set of 4, including mounting, after rebates, etc.). YMMV. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Sumitumo HTR A/S P02

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28W-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=255WR7HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Legacy&autoModClar=2.5i%20Premium

just put a set on my outback and i'm quite impressed. they are like a poor man's Conti DWS. Normally i go for a dedicated summer/winter setup, but i don't have storage space for the 3rd car's tires so i needed an all-around performer. super cheap too.

I swear by the Conti DWS 06’s. There is no substitute for winter tires, but if you don’t have the room for two sets, these are fantastic year round. I’ve had them on two different cars and my wife’s.

Check out the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. It's an "all-weather" tire, branded with the mountain snowflake symbol. Prices are all over the place right now, but with some judiicious Internet shopping they can be had for as low as $110 per tire (set of 4, including mounting, after rebates, etc.). YMMV.

Wow those tires sound very impressive and almost too good to be true. They sound even better than the Michelins I mentioned.

I swear by the Conti DWS 06’s. There is no substitute for winter tires, but if you don’t have the room for two sets, these are fantastic year round. I’ve had them on two different cars and my wife’s.

Tires sound very good for as far as handling etc goes based on the many reviews but I am a bit concerned about the reports of rapid wear of the tires - especially when putting it on a AWD car. I'm too lazy/cheap to switch tires mid year unfortunately.

Sumitumo HTR A/S P02

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28W-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=255WR7HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Legacy&autoModClar=2.5i%20Premium

just put a set on my outback and i'm quite impressed. they are like a poor man's Conti DWS. Normally i go for a dedicated summer/winter setup, but i don't have storage space for the 3rd car's tires so i needed an all-around performer. super cheap too.

Those actually sound pretty good but I'm hesitant to go with an unknown make. Or maybe I just don't know enough about the company.

Ty all for your feedback so far!

+1 on these ...

Those actually sound pretty good but I'm hesitant to go with an unknown make. Or maybe I just don't know enough about the company.

They arent an unknown make. they've been around for a long time and are a solid 2nd tier tire mfg. every once in a whole a brand like sumitumo, or federal, or fuzion etc... makes a tire that can hang with the likes of Continental or bridgestone for a lot less money.

Check out the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. It's an "all-weather" tire, branded with the mountain snowflake symbol. Prices are all over the place right now, but with some judiicious Internet shopping they can be had for as low as $110 per tire (set of 4, including mounting, after rebates, etc.). YMMV.

They don't come in 2017 Leg Ltd size & any close size is $200+ on tirerack. Too bad as it appears to be an all-around excellent tire.

... any close size is $200+ on tirerack. Too bad as it appears to be an all-around excellent tire.

I agree the selection available in 18-inch size is problematic. But they're ~$135 a tire at Sam's Club right now, with an $80 "instant discount" if you buy a set of four. On top of that, Goodyear has a $100 mail-in rebate (set of 4) available through the end of September. If you ask nicely, other tire dealers like Discount Tire may price match. (DT's web site also had them priced at ~$135 back in May.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Personally, I'm going from stock 18's down to 17's for dedicated studded Nokian snow tires and putting some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s' on my stock 18's... I live in the hilly area of Philadelphia so need the extra bite of the studs to get in and out of the neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk