LegacyGT.com

Parking brake recall for 6MT Legacy/Outback models

Funny follow up to our blinking brake light. It started to happen right after I replaced both rear brake light bulbs with LED bulbs (after a series of bulbs burning out). It took a couple of days to make the connection, but apparently this is a non-intentional warning in at least the Outbacks and Legacys that let you know when both of your rear brake lights are out. Or in this case, do not sense enough electrical load through them when using LED bulbs. I did not try out the more expensive CANbus bulbs.

So neither of our 6MT Subarus have experienced the parking brake failure. We jumped the gun since this happened shortly after receiving the recall letters...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the problem went away when you replaced to normal bulbs?

Yes. 2 LED brake light bulbs caused my dash BRAKE warning light to blink. I believe 1 normal incandescent bulb and 1 LED bulb did not cause it to blink. The blinking BRAKE light takes a few minutes before it starts flashing. It was not immediate after starting my car.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
At dealer for an oil change. They said EBP parts for this recall are expected in a couple weeks. They mentioned having a couple 6MT cars in their used inventory that they have been holding due to the recall. Probably why SOA only included 6MT cars in the recall, couldn’t imagine this dealer doing a stop sale on all 2010-2014 Outbacks/Legacys for almost a year!

At dealer for an oil change. They said EBP parts for this recall are expected in a couple weeks. They mentioned having a couple 6MT cars in their used inventory that they have been holding due to the recall. Probably why SOA only included 6MT cars in the recall, couldn’t imagine this dealer doing a stop sale on all 2010-2014 Outbacks/Legacys for almost a year!

the reason it is a recall only for the mt cars has to due with the automatic cars having the transmission parking pawl to hold the car from moving when you place the car into park. Now if it had been were the parking brake randomly engages, it would have been a recall for all cars...

the reason it is a recall only for the mt cars has to due with the automatic cars having the transmission parking pawl to hold the car from moving when you place the car into park. Now if it had been were the parking brake randomly engages, it would have been a recall for all cars...

I’m hoping it’s just a staggered recall that’ll also include automatics later. The parking brake needs to work in case of a transmission parking pawl failure. Some state safety inspections — like mine — require a working parking brake to pass. If they just recalled the manuals and the failure part is the same, it’s pretty likely they’d lose any lawsuits against them for damages caused by the parking brake failing to engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Australia we only had the option for the 5eat, still got the recall letter. So the 5eat models will need it.

Most definitely. Trouble is different countries do recalls differently. In the US, the agency responsible for this stuff can’t actually force a company to do a safety recall. When NHTSA tells them they should initiate one they usually do, but they don’t have to. BMW and Chrysler are famous for ignoring those.

This means I will have to hand over my rare car over to the dealer again. :( Wonder if I could pay a few dollars and watch the tech like a hawk. The last time I took the GT to the dealer, they replaced the airbag and bought me a nice new center console cover to replace the one they scratched.

I just got a letter from Subaru for this EPB recall, stating parts are now available. I called my Subaru dealer to schedule an appointment, and after researching it for an hour, they called me back and told me parts are NOT available. I explained I had the letter from Subaru stating otherwise. They said they just contacted Subaru of America directly and parts are not available now, but may be in a week or two. I guess this is progress at least.

I just got a letter from Subaru for this EPB recall, stating parts are now available. I called my Subaru dealer to schedule an appointment, and after researching it for an hour, they called me back and told me parts are NOT available. I explained I had the letter from Subaru stating otherwise. They said they just contacted Subaru of America directly and parts are not available now, but may be in a week or two. I guess this is progress at least.

Hopefully that means they’ll get the manuals cleared out fairly quickly and then start the campaign to cover the automatics so I can get mine fixed! [emoji1696]

I've been having a squeak during the parking brake cycle for a couple months. I thought it was in the hubs, but last night I pulled the driver's side rear hub apart, and there is no issues there. Now I'm really thinking its the actuator. This recall is coming at just the right time for my car.

Got an email that the parts are available. Scheduled an appt for this Friday to get it fixed.

whelp... parts were not available. The online appointment scheduling system didn't alert the dealership that I was coming in specifically for this recall. Back on the waitlist for backordered parts

I had an appointment this past Monday to have this replaced. Instead of driving in for my 8:00 am appointment I called instead. Turns out they still don’t have the parts. They said they’ll call me when they come in. I got the notice in the mail the following day, but obviously they haven’t arrived at the dealers. I recommend anyone with an appointment call in advance to make sure they actually have the part in stock.

Here is an obvious question (to me at least). Why would a service adviser set up an appointment for a recall, and not check to make sure parts are available?

Also, why would Subaru send out a letter stating parts are ready for the repairs, when they are not?

And why have we as a forum group not figured out how to modify a WRX handbrake to swap into our cars? :lol:

Getting off my soapbox now. ;)