LegacyGT.com

4th gen OEM suspension options.

So i just picked up a 4th gen 2005 Legacy GT for super cheap from one of my wife's coworkers who was going to a new crosstrek. The car seems to be in really good shape but i really hate the way the suspension feels. My other car is a 91 miata with Tein Flex and i love the way that feels. The Legacy feels like the crown vic i drove for a few years. horrible squat when accelerating, way too much roll in corners. I took a freeway corner in the legacy at 10 mph less than i normally take it in my miata and hit a small bump and the legacy lurched and floated in weird ways that seemed a bit scary.

I'm looking for something to allow me to corner more flat, but i'm not looking to lower the car much. If i lower it too much i wont be able to get into my driveway without scraping between the weels.

Ive seen other threads on here that show wrx or sti suspension will fit various generations. I was trying to find what subaru suspension will fit the 4th gen . I found this thread for the 3rd gen.https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-suspension-faq-swaybars-struts-springs-coilovers-alignment-171914.html?t=171914&highlight=4th+gen+wrx+struts

I also found this for the 5th gen: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-5th-generation-suspension-thread-163275.html?t=163275&highlight=4th+gen+wrx+struts

I'm sure this has been posted before but the forum search and google search was not coming up with anything usable.

Pretty much anything that improves cornering will lower it. If you want to improve handling without lowering it, you should start by checking the condition of the existing suspension. Lurching and floating suggests your shocks may be worn out. Excessive roll suggests broken sway bar end links. Also look at the control arm bushings, ball joints, etc.

I don't mind lowering .5 to 1" but anything lower will mean I have to park on the street, which I would like to avoid.

I was looking into wrx suspension as I've seen a few people selling it since I purchased the car. From what I can see 2003-07 wrx suspension fits the 3rd gen. 2008+ wrx suspension fits the 5th gen....but what fits the 4th gen?

I don't mind lowering .5 to 1" but anything lower will mean I have to park on the street, which I would like to avoid.

I was looking into wrx suspension as I've seen a few people selling it since I purchased the car. From what I can see 2003-07 wrx suspension fits the 3rd gen. 2008+ wrx suspension fits the 5th gen....but what fits the 4th gen?

I didn't measure the change, but FWIW, I replaced the stock springs with H&K, and it might have lowered the car a half an inch or so. Hard to tell, because I had saggy springs in one or two corners.

I also installed Koni struts, which took some doing - the PO had bent one of the original struts housing, so the Koni insert didn't fit. I had to go to a subaru salvage shop and buy a used, blown strut, to cut up and fit the Koni in. It was a project that ended up taking longer than expected, lets say.

2/4 struts were totally blown, and so any replacement made it a lot better.

I didn't measure the change, but FWIW, I replaced the stock springs with H&K, and it might have lowered the car a half an inch or so. Hard to tell, because I had saggy springs in one or two corners.

Do you mean the H&K sport springs?

That part is not true. 02-07 wrx suspension fits 2nd gen Legacys. Its what I have on my 98.

That part is not true. 02-07 wrx suspension fits 2nd gen Legacys. Its what I have on my 98.

sorry your right. i linked the 2nd gen legacy page....still can't find info about the 4th gen which is what i have though.

Many great suspension components are made for the car you own. Why are you so hot to use components made for a different car?

It was mainly a cost issue. I've seen people in my area selling wrx suspension for $100-200 when upgrading to coilovers. Ideally I would like to upgrade to coilovers myself but I don't have the $1000+ I was seeing for good coilovers. Since I prefer handling well over having stance I don't want to go with cheap racelands. I was hoping I could snag a set of used wrx suspension to upgrade while I save for a month or two for coilovers.

Anyways I'm also trying to do some research on what coilovers people like for these cars in the $1k range. For every thread I see about how someone likes one set, there seems to be quite a few threads about how people hate that same setup. Right now I'm interested in the tein flex z, mainly because I have them in my Miata and love them, and the fortune auto 500. The fortunes look more promising, but seem to be $300-500 more... still researching though...

Err, H&R (brain wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday), but yeah, h&r sport springs.

Definitely stiffer than stock springs.

So I did some measuring for ya. This is on a basically flat level surface, as measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. (wheel well, fender whatever you want to call it) (stock 215/45/17 tires on stock rims)

Front Right - 25.5"

Front Left - 25.125"

Rear right - 25.25"

Rear Left - 24.5"

I don't know what's going on with the rear left, why it's 3/4" lower than the right. That's how it was with the stock springs, too, maybe even greater difference. ?? (hey, if anyone looking at this thread wants to chime in about that, I'd appreciate it!)

My car was noticeable canted to the left, when looking at it from behind, with the stock springs. Now I don't notice the cant, but apparently it is canted. Huhn. (?)

HTH

So I did some measuring for ya. This is on a basically flat level surface, as measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. (wheel well, fender whatever you want to call it) (stock 215/45/17 tires on stock rims)

Front Right - 25.5"

Front Left - 25.125"

Rear right - 25.25"

Rear Left - 24.5"

I don't know what's going on with the rear left, why it's 3/4" lower than the right. That's how it was with the stock springs, too, maybe even greater difference. ?? (hey, if anyone looking at this thread wants to chime in about that, I'd appreciate it!)

My car was noticeable canted to the left, when looking at it from behind, with the stock springs. Now I don't notice the cant, but apparently it is canted. Huhn. (?)

HTH

Thanks for the info. I'll have to drive somewhere flat and measure mine to compare. My driveway is very not flat, thus the reason I don't want to lower too much yet.

Archived