LegacyGT.com

Weird Noise coming from wheels?

Just noticed this noise coming from my car when I was rolling downhill with the windows down. Not sure how long this was happening as the weather is finally nice to let down the windows. I linked a video below, hopefully you can make out the noise I'm taking about.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjSwbNKewHsZwqMn_jn8mK7FOJ0arw

Ps. yes I know I need new brake pads

Could be a wheel bearing/hub these cars are known for that.

Next your making a exit ramp that's like a cloverleaf or a flyover, turn off the radio and listen to the sound, see if it gets louder as the cars weight shifts to the outside.

That's puts more load on the hubs on that side. After that, jack the car up and see if you can wiggle the wheels, if so you have a bad hub.

Check JMP's sticky about various parts, We have links there to which hubs to buy.

FWIW, I keep a spare Timken front hub in the shed.

There is a DIY thread on changing them too.

Best case is, you just have a stone between the brake rotor and backing plate.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Visually inspect tires for any uneven wear. If tires are up to snuff, get them balanced.

If the sound continues check the bearings as Max suggested. This is a far from full proof way to check the bearings, but the only full proof way to check is by pulling the knuckle off.

I couldn't get the clip to play on my phone, but it sounds like it's a rotation sound. There is only a few things that rotate - wheel bearing, rotar, wheel. The problem has to lie somewhere in those parts.

What I've learned about wheel bearings is: If you're not sure if it's bad, don't worry, it will get worse. Seriously. If you can barely hear it from inside the car then it's fine for a while.

If you think it could be something else then that would be worth checking on though.

Visually inspect tires for any uneven wear. If tires are up to snuff, get them balanced.

If the sound continues check the bearings as Max suggested. This is a far from full proof way to check the bearings, but the only full proof way to check is by pulling the knuckle off.

I couldn't get the clip to play on my phone, but it sounds like it's a rotation sound. There is only a few things that rotate - wheel bearing, rotar, wheel. The problem has to lie somewhere in those parts.

Brand new tires so can't check that yet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sounds like wear sensor on the pads starting to contact the rotor.
Correct I need new pads but there's another sound that I'm hearing, the only thing I could compare it to is a Cicada chirp

I thought I could hear what sounds like ball bearing rolling in the races.

We have a little personal electric cart here at work, after you drove it for a while and your coasting to a stop your could hear the balls in the left rear hub rolling. Sounded a lot like your video.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Could be a wheel bearing/hub these cars are known for that.

Next your making a exit ramp that's like a cloverleaf or a flyover, turn off the radio and listen to the sound, see if it gets louder as the cars weight shifts to the outside.

That's puts more load on the hubs on that side. After that, jack the car up and see if you can wiggle the wheels, if so you have a bad hub.

Check JMP's sticky about various parts, We have links there to which hubs to buy.

FWIW, I keep a spare Timken front hub in the shed.

There is a DIY thread on changing them too.

Best case is, you just have a stone between the brake rotor and backing plate.

Just jacked the car up and the front wheels are solid. My father suggests maybe it's the new tires I have making the noise. They are Hankook ventus concept2

Correct I need new pads but there's another sound that I'm hearing, the only thing I could compare it to is a Cicada chirp

That's the noise I'm referring too. It could be the backing plate rubbing the rotor or pad hardware rubbing the rotor if you're confident it's not the pads.

That's the noise I'm referring too. It could be the backing plate rubbing the rotor or pad hardware rubbing the rotor if you're confident it's not the pads.

That could be a cause, It's easy to bend that plate if your not really careful. You can bend it without even knowing it. Have done that a number times over the many years.

That could be a cause, It's easy to bend that plate if your not really careful. You can bend it without even knowing it. Have done that a number times over the many years.

Could have happened when he got the new tires installed. Like you said, very easy to bend them.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to checking the dust shield but couldn't see anything wrong with them, I took photos if you guys may want to see them

Can you determine if it's coming from the front or rear? You'll want to look for a real shiny spot to indicate the rubbing. If the noise is in the rear, take the caliper and rotor off and check the parking brake shoes and the entire backing plate. A lot of Subarus rust around the center ring of the rear backing plates. That rust pushes the backing plate out just enough to contact the rotor, but it will be hard to see that spot without taking the rotor off. Does the sound pitch change when you apply the brakes?

Can you determine if it's coming from the front or rear? You'll want to look for a real shiny spot to indicate the rubbing. If the noise is in the rear, take the caliper and rotor off and check the parking brake shoes and the entire backing plate. A lot of Subarus rust around the center ring of the rear backing plates. That rust pushes the backing plate out just enough to contact the rotor, but it will be hard to see that spot without taking the rotor off. Does the sound pitch change when you apply the brakes?
It's really hard to tell where it's coming from as I'm listening to an echo bouncing back into the cabin, but I think it's the front wheels. I do need new brake pads so when I do those I'll check.

Edit: yes the sound is dampened when I apply the brakes

Do not put grease... Anybody ever ask themselves why the cars don't come with grease from the factory???? Use correct and properly functioning brake hardware and pads. If you want to use something, use sylglide ( clear and lightweight, barely a coating needed on the hardware)

We can agree to disagree on that Marv. A thin coating is all that is needed but I cringe at the thought of not lubing brakes. I did that a few times and they came back with a noise. I got my ass chewed out by my old boss so I've lubed them ever since :lol: That could be a difference between using factory and aftermarket hardware.

I didn't say not to use grease, ;). Grease is so loosely used these days that I thought I would clarify.

Do not just use grease, the gray brake lube (tub) is ok, but for peace of my mind, Sil-Glyde is incredible. It is not messy and can even be used as clutch spline and shaft lube etc.

Without brand new hardware that nobody wants to pay for these days, there will be issues if you don't clean and lube. Great job DE, right on

Archived