LegacyGT.com

Which aftermarket cat. conv. for an 06 non-turbo?

My wife's 06 Legacy (non-turbo) needs a new cat. conv. up front. It's throwing a P04020 02/02 code and the dealership confirmed due to it's age and mileage it's probably starting to break up inside. I also notice the floor board under the driver's feet is starting to rattle at idle. They said it would be $1200-$1500 to replace. But they only warranty it for a year.

I'd rather buy from RockAuto and bolt it in myself. What aftermarket brand is most reliable in these? Choices are: Bosal, Walker, Eastern, and Davico.

Thanks!!

Bosal or Eastern Catalytic fit the best for me when I had a 08 2.5i. Got both from RockAuto. If you are hearing rattling under the passenger floor that could be the secondary cat in the mid pipe (connects the manifold to the Y pipe).

Bosal or Eastern Catalytic fit the best for me when I had a 08 2.5i. Got both from RockAuto. If you are hearing rattling under the passenger floor that could be the secondary cat in the mid pipe (connects the manifold to the Y pipe).

They told me the car only had one.... do I need to ask them again to make sure??

EDIT: I did ask...they confirmed there are "technically 2" but the vibration and the code are coming from the front one.

Thanks!

I had to replace the Cat Conv on my 2010 Legacy 2.5i early last year due to a rust hold creating a massive exhaust leak. I ordered a replacement on Rockauto.com for like $300ish as opposed to the $800-$900 Subaru OEM Replacement. I regretted that decision after approximately 9 months when the replacement shit the bed and broke apart, clogging the Cat Conv and Mid-Pipe. This ended up costing me some $2,500 to fix as they now had to replace the Cat Conv and Mid-pipe. Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the Cat Conv is one of the few parts that they HIGHLY recommend you go with the OEM Subaru part as a replacement. Yes, it will be a little more pricey, but it is designed to work with the engine of the car more reliably than any after market brands. Remember, you can buy the OEM replacement through Subaru, then do the labor yourself.

I had to replace the Cat Conv on my 2010 Legacy 2.5i early last year due to a rust hold creating a massive exhaust leak. I ordered a replacement on Rockauto.com for like $300ish as opposed to the $800-$900 Subaru OEM Replacement. I regretted that decision after approximately 9 months when the replacement shit the bed and broke apart, clogging the Cat Conv and Mid-Pipe. This ended up costing me some $2,500 to fix as they now had to replace the Cat Conv and Mid-pipe. Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the Cat Conv is one of the few parts that they HIGHLY recommend you go with the OEM Subaru part as a replacement. Yes, it will be a little more pricey, but it is designed to work with the engine of the car more reliably than any after market brands. Remember, you can buy the OEM replacement through Subaru, then do the labor yourself.

And Subaru will still warranty the part if I install it and it shits the bed?

EDIT: Part number is 44620AA76A Cheapest I'm seeing is $848 shipped from SubaruSource.com. Looks like that'll be the winner unless I find something cheaper in the next day or so.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to come back to this and I really hope someone knows both answers...

I took a look under my 06 Legacy. I saw (with a telescopic mirror) where the 2 O2 sensors are so I just need to follow the wires up to see where they disconnect at in the engine bay. I also saw that most of the nuts were pretty well rusted. What I did not see was a clear point where the section of pipe with the front cat separated from the rest of the exhaust. Looks like the heat shield holds it all together in one huge section.

1. Anyone know what SPECIFC nuts and bolts I need to order to replace the rusty ones? Found the answer- 902370010 is the part number...$5.42 EACH!! (there's 9 of them)

2. Where does the cat section disconnect from the rest of the exhaust?

Thanks!

Archived