LegacyGT.com

Hack or download Nav?

I have NAV and don't use it. It doesn't account for traffic so it has no value to me. Only time I would use it is if I am lost with no signal or my phone is dead.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Your lost!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I don't use Nav often, if I need to drive somewhere new I sometimes use it, but mostly I use Waze when I am driving somewhere new, because it offers something the Subaru version does not, reporting on police speed traps...

For this reason I want Applecarplay in my next car... whatever brand it is, as one of my wishlist items.

I don't use Nav often but just did on a trip (100 miles) to Grand Lake. But once a month or so when I do use it, it works well. I personally like the fact that I don't have to deal with my phone at all while driving. Nav, text, calls what have you. The system links and that's that. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Waze however so I'm sure there are some decent alternatives. I guess I see the possible benefit in advanced warning regarding speed traps, but you can always beat them by just slowing down or leaving the house earlier.

I use both simultaneously. The convenience of the OEM and the traffic information of Waze.

I guess I see the possible benefit in advanced warning regarding speed traps, but you can always bet them by just slowing down or leaving the house earlier.

I will say that like most Americans, I don't obey the speed limit in many places.

I say that based upon my observation of everyone passing me constantly or riding my tail when I drive places (even when I am 5-10 mph over posted limits).

I am not a super speeder (if I was, I would never have traded the WRX for a Legacy LOL), the only time I drive over 75 mph is passing slower vehicles on the highway (65mph in most places I drive), because I am a very defensive driver I don't dwell in blind spots or alongside other vehicles.

On more rural roads, I generally try to say within 10 mph of posted signs. Places I am religious about the speed limit include school zones, and when my radar detector or Waze tells me there is a speed trap nearby...

To each his own, I know that I am with the flow of traffic or slower than the flow of traffic, and drive within my comfort limits. That said, having visited many states, I know my personal observations hold true all along the east coast, and in Arizona... the number of vehicles obeying speed limit signs is probably lower than 10%...and in most places (particularly highways), if you are driving the speed limit you are really just a hazard to the flow of traffic, often causing more danger to yourself and others than you might realize.

Try driving from NY to Florida (or vice versa) and strictly observing the speed limit, if you pay attention to what other cars are doing around you it would be eye opening. If you remain clueless that 95% of the people are racing by you, swerving to avoid you, struggling to merge around you, then you might just be an unwitting hazard who really should think twice about driving long distance trips like that...and please, for the love of god, stay out of the far left lane on the highway...

You are over generalized in your statement, 90% not even close? I drive I95, I75, Turnpike and running at 70 most of the time and I stay from the crowding and I have never been an obstacle or danger to other drivers. Now, if you are part of the smashed mob then yes, they need 2/4 lanes to pass each other to hide they have small pickles.[emoji847]

I just took over my sister's 15 Legacy and it has the nice big infotainment screen. I'm thinking to myself, hmm, is there anyway to hack it or program it to have navigation?

After dealing with just updating the nav for over a month now, I can tell you that it won't be that simple and putting in the SD card and it working.

The SD card is ~$400 from the dealer. And its the only place you can get the sd card from. The difference between a new car with nav and w/o nav is more than $400. So I think there is some licencing fee that goes to NNG to make that available. And they would protect that with all their might.

I personally like my garmin over here maps. But its the convenience that wins over. Its great for day to day stuff so you don't have to be hiding the garmin everywhere you park..

Just use google maps on your phone. Nav sucks

Not an option here; the cops will ticket you for distracted driving if you so much as touch your phone while stopped at a traffic light. Someone just got ticketed for tapping his Apple Watch while stopped at a light.

We also have radar cameras that give out thousands of tickets per day, mostly in highway construction zones. And radar detectors are illegal.

Not an option here; the cops will ticket you for distracted driving if you so much as touch your phone while stopped at a traffic light. Someone just got ticketed for tapping his Apple Watch while stopped at a light.

We also have radar cameras that give out thousands of tickets per day, mostly in highway construction zones. And radar detectors are illegal.

Are you not allowed to mount the phone? Start nav before you go and don't touch it while driving. I used it all the time while visiting Toronto. Never got stopped. I did see all the radar traps and got a parking ticket in Chinatown.

I'll pay it next time I visit. Maybe...

Are you not allowed to mount the phone? Start nav before you go and don't touch it while driving...

Yes, and I have a ProClip mount for mine, but you can't even touch it if there's a cop within sight. Now that distracted drivers are the most frequent cause of accidents the police are cracking down.

However, you can still eat a burger with an extra large soda while driving :rolleyes:

They seem to be calling just about anything as "distracted driving" now. As for eating and driving, have a look at the RCMP web site (http://www.rcmp-grc@gc.ca):

"Distracted driving is a form of impaired driving as a driver's judgment is compromised when they are not fully focused on the road. Distracted driving qualifies as talking on a cell phone, texting, reading (e.g. books, maps, and newspapers), using a GPS, watching videos or movies, eating/drinking, smoking, personal grooming, adjusting the radio/CD and playing extremely loud music. Even talking to passengers and driving while fatigued (mentally and/or physically) can be forms of distracted driving."

Hopefully there's a bit of good judgement involved.

Archived