LegacyGT.com

STI mufflers on a LGT

scoobydoobie

Has anybody done it? I know some FXT/WRX owners looking for an inexpensive and quiet exhaust use them. The piping is 2.5" as opposed to 2.25". You can find an STI take off axleback for $50-100.

Seems you'd just have to fab the up the piping to/for the y-pipe and make some changes to the hangers. Could be an option for those of us who want a good flowing axleback without all the noise. Thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but even the prodrives will become significantly louder with changes to the UP/DP/EM/Mid/Y (which I'm planning to upgrade). I'm thinking that using sti mufflers may provide a better sound (as well as better looks/ little bit more flow) than running full aftermarket piping into the stock cans. Also while not being nearly as loud as running bigger pipes into aftermarket bolt-on "performance" mufflers.

Prodrives are also 2" at the inlet, not 2.5", for those going for end-to-end smooth flow, and they are fairly loud on a wagon with full 3"/2.5" piping.

I have been very curious about dual STI mufflers as an option on wagons for a reduced-drone version with full piping.

Prodrives are also 2" at the inlet, not 2.5", for those going for end-to-end smooth flow, and they are fairly loud on a wagon with full 3"/2.5" piping.

I have been very curious about dual STI mufflers as an option on wagons for a reduced-drone version with full piping.

Yeah, it could be a cheap upgrade if done right too. Let's say you find two STI mufflers for $150. Then pay an exhaust shop say $100 to bend the hangers and fab the short amount of piping into your Cobb or Perrin Y pipe.

Should be fairly quiet and mostly drone free. Plus would look good with the slightly bigger tip and "STI" engraved on the sides.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO-T4vNeZgo]YouTube - Subaru Forester XT HKS stage 2 STI axleback[/ame]

I'd save yourself the money...Unless you are trying to make major power gains in the future, the stock CBE flows more than enough. You won't realize any major gains by switching and IMO wouldn't be the best bang for the buck. Now unless you don't like the looks of the Legacy exhaust, I wouldn't touch it.

well I found the measurements of the STI cans. The muffler is 16.5" long, 10" wide and 9 1/4" tall. The tip is 7 1/4" long.

Once the snow clears up more, I can get under the car and measure the stock cans to see if this project is feasible or not. I'm thinking the STI can will be too tall to fit in the LGT cut outs but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is interested, I have a full sti exhaust sitting in my garage. I'd like to get $75 for the axle back/ muffler portion. Of course you would also have to figure in shipping costs of $25-$50. Shoot me a message, if interested.

So lemme clarify. You're thinking of taking two WRX/STi axelbacks, and cutting off the piping to turn them into "universal" mufflers. Then taking the cans to an exhaust shop and having them fab up the pipes/flanges to the LGT y-pipe?

Sounds pretty cool if thats what you're doing.

So lemme clarify. You're thinking of taking two WRX/STi axelbacks, and cutting off the piping to turn them into "universal" mufflers. Then taking the cans to an exhaust shop and having them fab up the pipes/flanges to the LGT y-pipe?

Sounds pretty cool if thats what you're doing.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. Still in the brainstorming stage as I've got a lot of things to do (and parts to install first) before I tackle this project.

It's nice today though, I will try and measure the stock cans and see if this is feasible.

I found some pictures of the STI axle back. There are a few things that I'd be concerned about. First is the height of the can. It looks pretty tall. Also, the location of the tip seems very low (which could be exacerbated by height of the can). Vertical fitment and centering the tip could be an issue. Also, the can itself isn't symmetrical. The tip exits out of the center and the pipe enters on the right (passenger side) of the can. Could make fitting on the passenger side of the car a little more difficult.

Other than that, I'm VERY interested in how this works. Especially since I know two people with STIs that also have aftermarket exhausts.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of the internal design of the STI cans? They are not straight through designs are they?

I have an STi can on hand and will take of one of mine this weekend and see how this one fits in the space. Sinced the piping goes to the side i think it could be cut so it meets the Y-pipe correctly

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

Good points Daedalus.

btlegacy, that would be awesome if you could to that.

I just took some rough measurements of one of the stock cans: It's a little under 13.5" long, little under 10" high, and width is around 10.5". The tip is 6" on the bottom and 6 3/4" at the top.

I roll the STI Quads on my 05 wagon...with stock from there back!

Sound is equal to a stock 09 STI...from a dealership comparison...they tuck under a bit but sound perfect in my opinion!

J

I love that look. Where can I source some STi quads for my car?

The STi quad look looks incredible. You win.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived