LegacyGT.com

Logging Wideband O2 Via The TGV Sensor Input

Turkeylord

Is there any reason why the TGV input would be more preferable then the rear 02 input? Would I not be able to get my power and ground straight from the rear 02 input? In my head it seems the rear 02 would be easier to plug right into or splice right into then finding different sources for ground and power?

Sorry to bump and old thread.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I tried a few years ago, I vaguely remember that the rear O2 input was biased towards a certain Voltage, and possibly the range wasn't wide enough (0-5V). What I do remember is that I gave up on doing it.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

When I tried a few years ago, I vaguely remember that the rear O2 input was biased towards a certain Voltage, and possibly the range wasn't wide enough (0-5V). What I do remember is that I gave up on doing it.

Tuning alliance was somehow able to make it work from the rear with just a cable.

ah, good to know. perhaps there was some signal manipulation to make it work.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

yeah, from memory i think the rear O2 outputs 0-1.28 volts. who knows what the ECU can accept in, but most widebands output 0-5V for maximum resolution. some have narrowband outputs that are much smaller though, but you'd only know if you were at 14.7, above or below. kinda useless.
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

The AD converter is actually 0-5V on the rear O2 just like the other analog inputs. I think the front O2 is the only one with special voltage ranges hardware wise.

TGV’s were used in the case because if you delete them they are doing nothing for the ECU. Typically people don’t deleat the rear O2 as often, as it causes fun questions at emissions testing and was hard to take 100% out of play until a few years ago. Then Cobb put out an update slowing you to completely disable it, and the figured out the same on opensource.

I am using the rear o2 to log the wide band output. It works and i verfied that data with the serial usb out from the wideband device. Its the same however the data from the o2 is more noisy but it stays within the range and follows the output from the serial usb wideband.

Car is STI 2012 ans wide band is the Innovate MTX-L

Both outputs are logged from Btssm.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

I recently ordered the MTX-L and have a COBB AP.....ideally I'd like to be able to log from 1 device/source to keep things in sync.

Is it possible to do this using the AP and if so, I'm guessing I would need someone with the tuning software?

Thanks,

I am using the rear o2 to log the wide band output. It works and i verfied that data with the serial usb out from the wideband device. Its the same however the data from the o2 is more noisy but it stays within the range and follows the output from the serial usb wideband.

Car is STI 2012 ans wide band is the Innovate MTX-L

Both outputs are logged from Btssm.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Noisy because of the input or noisy because you are drawing power from rear o2? I’d want a clean signal and will probably just to the tgv.

Also, would I just run seperate wire from the 0-5 volt analog out to the tgv so my tuner can still tune with a laptop, but I log using the ap?

It looks like my wideband is already wired up for power and ground. It lives in my center console. It would be easiest to run a wire from there to the rear o2 through the lower shifter boot.

Edited by xtea

Noisy because of the input or noisy because you are drawing power from rear o2? I’d want a clean signal and will probably just to the tgv.

Also, would I just run seperate wire from the 0-5 volt analog out to the tgv so my tuner can still tune with a laptop, but I log using the ap?

It looks like my wideband is already wired up for power and ground. It lives in my center console. It would be easiest to run a wire from there to the rear o2 through the lower shifter boot.

tune and log are two different actions. One is pulling data from the ECU (logging) and the other is uploading new code to the ECU (tuning). If you hook things up through the TGV (or the rear O2), then it'll all go to the ECU and other than some extra formulas (and disabling TGVs and/or rear O2), it's seamless.

so your wideband has a wiring harness that should go into a controller box (which it sounds like you've supplied with power and ground). then your controller should have at least one output (probably 2), and one of those (the 0-5V one) will be wired to the TGV sensor inputs in either the engine bay, or directly into the ECU (passenger footwell).

then bob's your uncle.

tune and log are two different actions. One is pulling data from the ECU (logging) and the other is uploading new code to the ECU (tuning). If you hook things up through the TGV (or the rear O2), then it'll all go to the ECU and other than some extra formulas (and disabling TGVs and/or rear O2), it's seamless.

so your wideband has a wiring harness that should go into a controller box (which it sounds like you've supplied with power and ground). then your controller should have at least one output (probably 2), and one of those (the 0-5V one) will be wired to the TGV sensor inputs in either the engine bay, or directly into the ECU (passenger footwell).

then bob's your uncle.

::I've been updating this post as I research further::

I guess what I meant was wiring one of the outputs to the ecu which is what I’ll most likely do now, won’t interfere with my tuner logging with Cobb atr software? He won’t want to mess with spreadsheet formulas and typically inputs the wideband via usb.

My LC-2 has two analog outputs “The default analog outputs are as follows: Analog output one (yellow) is 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR. Analog output two (brown) is 1.1V = 14 AFR and .1V = 15 AFR”

If the rear o2 is a low voltage input, is it possible to connect the brown to this and get accurate readings without a formula? I’m guessing not.

If I can connect the yellow to the ecu tgv, will this prohibit me from

Installing an aftermarket afr gauge down the line?

Maybe instead of getting aftermarket gauges I just get an android device, and eventually monitor boost, afr, oil temp, and oil pressure through btssm? This sounds like the best option over all. Maybe I can log this way too?

Looking at a refurbished nexus 7.... seems cheap enough and all it will do is this. Maybe connect to my phone and do maps.

Ok....

Getting excited about BtSsm.

"A recent Beta addition to BtSsm is the ability to reference some external sensors via a USB connection.

The list of supported sensors is still short: Innovate LC2 / MTX-L AFR sensors, and AEM UEGO AFR sensor.

The physical connection is like this: External sensor serial output -> RS232-to-USB converter -> OTG converter -> Android device"

So I could just plug the wideband direct into the tablet using usb.

My end goal would be to monitor AFR, boost, oil temp, oil pressure, post intercooler IAT, and fuel pressure via BtSsm. Looks like the AFR is easy enough. I'm running Speed density so I'm sure there's a formula to figure out boost from the map sensor. Oil pressure and Oil temp will require sending units as well as sensors im certain. getting those signals to BtSsm though might be tough. If I route the AFR direct to usb, oil pressure through the tgv and oil temp through rear o2 that might just do it unless that btsense module is released already. I may have to start a new thread, but I am super excited about these possibilities with Btssm. I've always been intimidated by the electrical aspects of it, but Im dumb enough to make mistakes and learn.

Damn it looks like I can do everything I want! The hard part is just figuring out how janky I want the wiring to be. And if I can use both TGV left and right as seperate inputs then I have even more I can do! I'm so excited. $40 dollars for a tablet is SOOO much cheaper then $150+ per vei dual gauge.

Edited by xtea

i don't know much about yours, but my AFR controller has a serial output too, which is how i either connect it to my gauge or to a USB interface to a PC. The 0-5V output is for wideband logging and the smaller range is for narrowband (which is essentially what your rear O2 is for - it only tells you if you're at stoich or above or below).

but i'll just bow out and let someone with experience with your AFR controller step in.

i don't know much about yours, but my AFR controller has a serial output too, which is how i either connect it to my gauge or to a USB interface to a PC. The 0-5V output is for wideband logging and the smaller range is for narrowband (which is essentially what your rear O2 is for - it only tells you if you're at stoich or above or below).

but i'll just bow out and let someone with experience with your AFR controller step in.

Sounds right. Sounds like I'll have to use the yellow if I want anything meaninful read.

I am totally going the btSsm route now and I plan to input AFR, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure, through rear o2, tgv left and tgv right. I just need to know if rear o2 is noisy if all you are doing is sending the 0-5 volt signal to it. I will most likely wire at the ecu and that would be easiest for me. As for oil temp and oil pressure I would like to input at tgv left and right. I am going to make another thread about it though.

::I've been updating this post as I research further::

I guess what I meant was wiring one of the outputs to the ecu which is what I’ll most likely do now, won’t interfere with my tuner logging with Cobb atr software? He won’t want to mess with spreadsheet formulas and typically inputs the wideband via usb.

My LC-2 has two analog outputs “The default analog outputs are as follows: Analog output one (yellow) is 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR. Analog output two (brown) is 1.1V = 14 AFR and .1V = 15 AFR”

If the rear o2 is a low voltage input, is it possible to connect the brown to this and get accurate readings without a formula? I’m guessing not.

If I can connect the yellow to the ecu tgv, will this prohibit me from

Installing an aftermarket afr gauge down the line?

Maybe instead of getting aftermarket gauges I just get an android device, and eventually monitor boost, afr, oil temp, and oil pressure through btssm? This sounds like the best option over all. Maybe I can log this way too?

Looking at a refurbished nexus 7.... seems cheap enough and all it will do is this. Maybe connect to my phone and do maps.

Ok....

Getting excited about BtSsm.

"A recent Beta addition to BtSsm is the ability to reference some external sensors via a USB connection.

The list of supported sensors is still short: Innovate LC2 / MTX-L AFR sensors, and AEM UEGO AFR sensor.

The physical connection is like this: External sensor serial output -> RS232-to-USB converter -> OTG converter -> Android device"

So I could just plug the wideband direct into the tablet using usb.

My end goal would be to monitor AFR, boost, oil temp, oil pressure, post intercooler IAT, and fuel pressure via BtSsm. Looks like the AFR is easy enough. I'm running Speed density so I'm sure there's a formula to figure out boost from the map sensor. Oil pressure and Oil temp will require sending units as well as sensors im certain. getting those signals to BtSsm though might be tough. If I route the AFR direct to usb, oil pressure through the tgv and oil temp through rear o2 that might just do it unless that btsense module is released already. I may have to start a new thread, but I am super excited about these possibilities with Btssm. I've always been intimidated by the electrical aspects of it, but Im dumb enough to make mistakes and learn.

Damn it looks like I can do everything I want! The hard part is just figuring out how janky I want the wiring to be. And if I can use both TGV left and right as seperate inputs then I have even more I can do! I'm so excited. $40 dollars for a tablet is SOOO much cheaper then $150+ per vei dual gauge.

You can reprogram the output of the brown wire to be 0-5 volts as well using the innovate software.

• 1 month later...
I recently ordered the MTX-L and have a COBB AP.....ideally I'd like to be able to log from 1 device/source to keep things in sync.

Is it possible to do this using the AP and if so, I'm guessing I would need someone with the tuning software?

Thanks,

Hey gang,

Resurrecting my question, got the gauge and about to receive my POD in the next few days.

In the owner's manual it say's "The default analog output (Yellow wire) is configured as follows: 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR"

I'll be getting my car tuned, based on the above info will the tuner be able to program the TGV signal to read AFR with the COBB tuning software or is there a specific formula that will need to be entered?

Thanks,

Hey gang,

Resurrecting my question, got the gauge and about to receive my POD in the next few days.

In the owner's manual it say's "The default analog output (Yellow wire) is configured as follows: 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR"

I'll be getting my car tuned, based on the above info will the tuner be able to program the TGV signal to read AFR with the COBB tuning software or is there a specific formula that will need to be entered?

Thanks,

If I remember correctly, Cobb protuners should be able to program the AP with custom gauges. I'm not certain about that, though. If that's not possible, then you can still just log the voltage and convert it to AFR/lambda in a spreadsheet.

You can also program the LC-# to modify the range of the analog output. Ideally, you'll want to maximize the range (0-5V instead of 0-1V) to minimize noise.

If I remember correctly, Cobb protuners should be able to program the AP with custom gauges. I'm not certain about that, though. If that's not possible, then you can still just log the voltage and convert it to AFR/lambda in a spreadsheet.

You can also program the LC-# to modify the range of the analog output. Ideally, you'll want to maximize the range (0-5V instead of 0-1V) to minimize noise.

Ok thanks,

I'll inquire with the tuner or perhaps COBB to be sure.

In the event I would need to convert using a spreadsheet, would you be able to help with the formula?

Thanks again!

Ok thanks,

I'll inquire with the tuner or perhaps COBB to be sure.

In the event I would need to convert using a spreadsheet, would you be able to help with the formula?

Thanks again!

The formula depends on how you program the analog outputs on your wideband controller. I think default formulas are given in the manual, but if you reprogram them, you'd need to write your own formula.

The formulas I used for both AFR and EGT are listed below. I just re-purposed the Tumbler Valve parameters. For EGT there are two versions of the Celsius calculation, i forget which one was most accurate, I think the first one, not C2.

<parameter id="P39" name="Tumble Valve Position Sensor Right" desc="P39" ecubyteindex="12" ecubit="0" target="1">
                   <address>0x000033</address>
                   <conversions>
                       <conversion units="C" expr="x/50*294.1176" format="0" />
					<conversion units="F" expr="32+9*(x+40)" format="0" gauge_min="0" gauge_max="2000" gauge_step="200" />
                       <conversion units="C2" expr="(x+40)*5" format="0" gauge_min="0" gauge_max="1000" gauge_step="100" />
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>
               <parameter id="P40" name="Tumble Valve Position Sensor Left" desc="P40" ecubyteindex="13" ecubit="7" target="1">
                   <address>0x000034</address>
                   <conversions>
					<conversion units="AFR" expr="x/50*2+10" format="0.00" />
                   </conversions>
               </parameter>

Hey gang,

Thanks,

Your formula using the lc-1/lm-1would be:

(×/50)*3.008+7.35

• 1 year later...
I finally got around to wiring up my wideband so i can log with btssm. I ran a wire from the analog output of my LC-1 to pin26 of the B136 connector on the ECU. Thanks for all the details in this thread it made the install much easier.