LegacyGT.com

Official jdm conversion/aftermarket body thread

Ive been running no plate, CO is mandatory plate tho. Was pulled over the other day for a little speeding. Officer questioned the missing plate, explained It did not match the mounting points, and he said fair enough. That being said I really need to put it on. Underdog would you mind letting me know cost for a bracket as well please?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool design. When I had my Legacy, I wound up removing the metal clips in the bumper, using the white plastic "license plate" grommets you can find at any auto parts store, buying a OEM subaru license plate bracket, redrilling the holes and moving the rubber grommets to the new holes.

Are you using any kind of rubber grommet on the back to save the paint?

There's no need to use a grommet since the plate doesn't actually touch the bumper. I was going to use a nylon washer under the M8 bolt that holds the bracket to the bumper, but this would have increased the standoff height from the bumper, which I did not want.

I just went nice and gentle when I tightened down the M8 bolts so as not to damage the paint, although it is not something you would ever see, nor would it be better handled with another solution like the clip-on nuts.

Thx for all that, Underdog. Love your care for cosmetic. I'm super interested in a complete setup including the hardware you used (like a package), as long as the shipped price is reasonable. Sooo, shipped price to 83642 for everything?

Just realized your mounting is different from mine. I've got the Albero.

Here's JDM Subaru with the mounting clips attached:

http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/20090527225734_1.jpg

Here's my Albero (well, one like mine...rectangular holes instead of "D" shaped holes):

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/taskforcefreddy/Legacy%20Pics%20for%20Danny/DSCF1839.jpg

I THINK the same bracket will work, but not positive, so I suppose I should mention it here. Also wanna point out that mine is fiberglass, so I use rubber at any attachment point. I figured I'd use your bracket and mod as necessary.

Only had to drive from TX to swap bumpers with valleylegacy's, but totally worth it!

Hopefully by the end of the summer the JDM rear bumper and a grille will complete the look.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/cjnap21/IMG_1457.jpg

Only had to drive from TX to swap bumpers with valleylegacy's, but totally worth it!

Hopefully by the end of the summer the JDM rear bumper and a grille will complete the look.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/cjnap21/IMG_1457.jpg

Man that looks really clean. Thanks for picking it up and swapping with me.

I was thinking no more than $50, but if it's gotta be $60, I'll still take one for your efforts, good sir :)

Q: My USDM bumper beam is super close to the skin. How thick is that bracket? Did you trim the USDM beam, or go JDM?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yea these grills are pricier than gold usually, I can imagine what you paid. I waited 6 months cause I was determined not to pay a crazy amount, finally Catalyst hooked me up for a killer price.

So there looks to have been three tabs on the bottom that need to be trimmed or taken off. And then the bolt holes need to be moved. I haven't looked at fastening the bottom of the grill yet, but with the hood closed it's pretty secure so it won't fly away on the highway or something like that.

Same mods needed for a 08-09? Or are the grille sizes different all together?

Same mods needed for a 08-09? Or are the grille sizes different all together?

Im sure there is a thread specific to JDM grille on 08-09 USDM somewhere but I couldnt tell you where the thread is or if its the same trimming needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...