LegacyGT.com

Need to do head gaskets - what else should I do at the same time?

My head gaskets are leaking oil, so I need to get them done.

I'm thinking that while the engine is out and while the heads are off, is there anything else I should have the mechanic do?

Are there any additional seals / gaskets / bearings that should be replaced or looked at?

Should the heads be milled?

Are there any performance parts I might want to consider?

Are there any non-engine parts I should replace or look at?

Unfortunately, last year I did the clutch and timing belt, so those aren't needed.

Steve

2005 Legacy wagon (non-GT)

Hi, it's a 2.5i so there's not much it needs other then the normal parts. You may want to think about the heater hoses and coolant hoses.

While I got you, if you want to save money on insurance give this guy a email, he's saved me a lot of money over the years. He's also a member here.

You can tell him I sent you.

Jason Simko

Licensed Agent

Connecticut Insurance Exchange, Ltd.

112 Market Square

Newington, CT 06111

www.cieltd.us

Phone - 860 666-5443 ext:19

Fax – 860-666-1172

Like us: facebook.com/CIELTD

Follow us: twitter.com/PaylessCT

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To answer the question:

Remove the heads and take them to a machine shop and have new Viton guide seals installed. At the same time they can easily check and give the valves a quick lap. Intake valves are almost always still in "new" condition, but the exhaust really take the beating over the years. Most of the time, on any head I rebuild I simply replace the exhaust valves as a matter of practice. They're cheap...might as well. After that, have them surfaced and given a good wash. Now...after that, I also chase the plug threads with a tap to renew them. Better to find a bad, or soon to be bad thread while the head is on the bench than when it's already installed.

front and rear crank seal, oil pump seal, camshaft seals, pilot bearing and throw out bearing since you have the engine out. Basically any other parts that are really cheap but cost a lot to replace if they fail.

Archived