LegacyGT.com

Just ordered: Kumho Ecsta 4x in 225/45/17

JoeFromPA

Replacing a set of 50k-mile worn michelin pilot exalto a/s tires. The price is great (bout $100/tire shipped to me). I picked it for a combination of performance and winter leaning - that tread face speaks to me of some snow capabilities. We'll see. I'll put up a review after a few thousand miles and some snow.

good luck... I suffered through the same tire for about 35k miles... they provided a soft ride and still had plenty tread left on them when I ditched them but I couldn't stand the way they performed. Even when over-inflated, the sidewalls were very soft.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I doubt it. I think you are thinking of Kumho Ecsta ASX. 4x just came out in the past few months and is the next generation of the ASX (which has been around for a long time now).

Heres the 4x: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+4X&affiliate=TZ4

Here's the ASX: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+ASX

From all indications, the 4x has a much beefier sidewall.

Thanks Bolks. been running 225 for awhile so can't even remember what 215 felt like. :)

The price is about the same and I like the extra meat on the sidewall/in the fender too.

Michelin's were awesome, but they're loud now (50k miles, I should say so) and their traction is shot in damp conditions (not even rain, just damp).

Really looking forward to a total refresh.

Thanks Bolks. been running 225 for awhile so can't even remember what 215 felt like. :)

The price is about the same and I like the extra meat on the sidewall/in the fender too.

Michelin's were awesome, but they're loud now (50k miles, I should say so) and their traction is shot in damp conditions (not even rain, just damp).

Really looking forward to a total refresh.

Why did I think you were still on 215's?:lol::spin:

Either way, new rubber is always a good thing and even moreso with crappy driving weather approaching.

I'm excited too for genuine "new rubber". Kumho's a pretty good midline tire company, and their ASX line was bread and butter for them. The new 4x is supposed to be an improvement across the board, so I'm really curious how it's going to feel.

The one complicating factor is that my struts are pretty worn. Alignment seems good, but they don't damp like they used too.

I had ASX's, and they were great for the money. I have a new set of Platinum LX's ready to go on my car. The spedo in my car is more accurate with 225's then 215's according to my GPS. Plus they fill the wheel wells without having to go to an 18 inch wheel. Good luck Joe, keep us posted.

You are correct! I had the ASX... glad you will not. Look forward to your review!

I doubt it. I think you are thinking of Kumho Ecsta ASX. 4x just came out in the past few months and is the next generation of the ASX (which has been around for a long time now).

Heres the 4x: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+4X&affiliate=TZ4

Here's the ASX: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+ASX

From all indications, the 4x has a much beefier sidewall.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Joe, et all,

I started a reply to this thread before lunch... got busy at work and never pressed post... better late than never...

I agree you will be happy with the tires. I'm rolling the same size Avid ENVigors. I have 13k on mine, "W" speed rated. Harder tread compound and a couple of pounds heavier. No problems with sidewall flex, and our load ratings are also the same at 94. Taller stiffer sidewall, no slushiness during hard cornering here. Go for it!

Yours rate in the 87% percentile. Respectable for a tire with 39 million reported miles

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

I had ASX's, and they were great for the money. I have a new set of Platinum LX's ready to go on my car. The spedo in my car is more accurate with 225's then 215's according to my GPS. Plus they fill the wheel wells without having to go to an 18 inch wheel. Good luck Joe, keep us posted.

I've had the LX Platinums for around 10k now, I think you'll really like them. They felt a little weird for the first 1,000 miles, but since then they've been great. So I would give them a little time to break in if the handling seems off.

Nice, put about 250 miles on them so far including some driving in 2-3" of heavy snow with no salting or cinder around. (literally the day they were installed).

I want to put another 100-200 miles on them, then play with pressures, and then review them. Should take a week. So far, like them alot - even moreso than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...
............I want to put another 100-200 miles on them, then play with pressures, and then review them. Should take a week. So far, like them alot - even more so than I expected.

Are they meeting your expectations for snow and ice traction?

Small update - got about 1500 miles on them now. I'll write a full review at some point.

The day I got the tires, I drove through 2-3 inches of snow with no salt/sand involved. They performed exceedingly well, but since then I haven't gotten any wintry experience.

The tires are, very simply, superb. If you are seriously considering them in this class, buy them, you will not regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived