LegacyGT.com

Cleaning the inside of headers

I have my Oem headers off right now because I am putting a new engine in. While having the headers off I noticed that the insides are very dirty and I want to clean them so nothing goes into my freshly rebuilt turbo. It seems like soot or carbon build-up, but whatever it is it cant be good. the car burned a lot of oil so that probably has something to do with it. what is the best way to clean them out? I have heard of just soaking them in dish soap and water, but maybe one of yall has some better ideas.

If you really wanted to brake and parts cleaner is pretty much some of the strongest stuff to spray in there. Pretty much dissolves most things. If the brake clean doesnt kill it then I doubt it would come off and affect the turbo too much

It looked like welding slag, but I'm guessing it is from the casting, could be bits of melted rings IDK. I put a wire cup on my drill and ran it through and it seemed to take most of it off. then I shot it with brake cleaner to get out the rest of the carbon build-up.

Now I got another question, about cleaning my intercooler. It has oil in it because my turbo was really blown and went through a quart of oil a week, and I don't drive much.

What is the best way to clean out an intercooler? I've watched people poor gas in there until it comes out clean, but I don't know how to dispose of gas. Is there a better way to clean intercoolers, will brake clean work too?

Dawn dishwashing liquid would be my choice. They use it to remove oil from animals caught in a oil spill.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here