LegacyGT.com

BBK/aftermarket calipers -- more brake squeal than stock calipers?

caramall2

I have Wilwood calipers which I like a lot. The only issue is there is more brake squeal for a given pad than from my stock calipers (unless I'm missing some other unforeseen factor). I used to run even up to XP8s in my stock calipers, but now even Bobcats in my Wilwood calipers give some moderate squeal under slow light braking. With stock calipers Bobcats were pretty quiet.

Have some of you experienced the same with aftermarket/BBK calipers? Since brake squeal is really vibrations occurring generally during light braking with higher coefficient pads, my theory is:

- My calipers require a mounting bracket so there is more flexibility in the system and hence more apt to vibrate.

- My calipers are lighter, hence possibly more vibration.

- My calipers have sharper edges compared to others??? Someone mentioned this but I have no idea if this could be the case.

Thoughts?

I have Wilwood calipers which I like a lot. The only issue is there is more brake squeal for a given pad than from my stock calipers (unless I'm missing some other unforeseen factor). I used to run even up to XP8s in my stock calipers, but now even Bobcats in my Wilwood calipers give some moderate squeal under slow light braking. With stock calipers Bobcats were pretty quiet.

Have some of you experienced the same with aftermarket/BBK calipers? Since brake squeal is really vibrations occurring generally during light braking with higher coefficient pads, my theory is:

- My calipers require a mounting bracket so there is more flexibility in the system and hence more apt to vibrate.

- My calipers are lighter, hence possibly more vibration.

- My calipers have sharper edges compared to others??? Someone mentioned this but I have no idea if this could be the case.

Thoughts?

#1 is usually your answer on this. We did some testing for an unnamed cheesy aftermarket brake company back in 2002-2003 and found that they would squeal horribly. Traced it back to the brackets causing more vibes.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 weeks later...
I have the same brake setup and want to pose this question.

What are the quietest pads for this brake combo ?

Asking for the quietest pads for this set up is pretty invalid.... you kind of gain noise when you want more braking torque..... If you want quiet. Stay stock with some ceramic pads.

He's not trying to be smart, it's just that if you get a more aggressive pad, it will generally squeal more. I've had a lot of different pads in this set up...the more aggressive ones squealed more, the less aggressive less. I had pads in for a while that were just a very small step above stock (they were Wilwood's ceramic pads) and even those squealed a little.

I am not looking for silence, the pads I have now are just over the top. They say Street Fighter on them and that's it. I know that the squeal in inevitable but I also have a feeling that not all of the pads available are stuck pigs.

I am not looking for silence, the pads I have now are just over the top. They say Street Fighter on them and that's it. I know that the squeal in inevitable but I also have a feeling that not all of the pads available are stuck pigs.

Ok here is your first problem... "Street Fighter" sounds like Ebay crappola...

Stoptech Street Peformance or Hawk HPS are going to be your best bets in my 12+ years experience using both as OEM replacements with a slight upgrade...

-mike

Thank you Mike. Yeah a search turned up no info on those pads. I have been asking about other pads to replace these ungodly dusty and noisy pads. I am not expecting silent and clean, just looking for recommendations on pads for my Wilwoods. Probably going with Carbotech Bobcats.

I ran StopTechs originally with my StopTech BBK (duh :lol:) and then switched to Hawk HPS. Low dust, good bite and no noise. The Hawk HP+ on the other hand? Those things sound like squealing baby piglets when you mash the brakes!

Yeah the HP+ are like that but they do grip very well, especially for auto-x. They dust like a mo-fo too!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

@AZP Mike - Do 'upgraded' shims make a difference in BBKs when it comes to noise? I've seen titanium shims and whatnot, but wasn't sure if they were worth the purchase. Also in your experience, between the StopTechs and Hawk HPS, which is the better performer for a DD sprinkled with some spirited driving?

@AZP Mike - Do 'upgraded' shims make a difference in BBKs when it comes to noise? I've seen titanium shims and whatnot, but wasn't sure if they were worth the purchase. Also in your experience, between the StopTechs and Hawk HPS, which is the better performer for a DD sprinkled with some spirited driving?

The Stoptechs have a much higher heat rating than the HPS so they will be your best for your spirited driving, but may have slightly more noise and dust than the HPS.

You shouldn't need the titanium shims with either of those but I have seen cases where the titanium shims helped with HP+ noise for sure.

-mike

Lol wants to get carbotech bobcats still after saying you want quiet.....

Should listen to what mike says... HPS can be a bit noisy too if they become unbedded. Stoptechs were dead silent..

HPS noisy? On 3rd or 4th set of them, they have been a great pad. Allowing for linear braking and good for spirited driving. They do well in Autox unless you are looking first place. Light track duty.

HP+ autox/lapping. I had a set on the rears because I was too lazy to remove them (no garage space) that eventually wore out the discs. Work best when they get hot (400 degrees or hotter before they start to get effective). Bedding them in at night is great fun, because they throw sparks. Even more fun hitting them hard in traffic at night, ppl don't crowd you. :-)

DCT 60/70 - track only. Not autox, track. You are running at 9 to 10/10ths all the time. Not your 10/10ths, the car's 10/10ths. If the rotors are not glowing or over 1000 degrees, you are not working them.

A BBK is supposed to be for putting more pad on the rotor. In general, more pistons make this possible if for no other reason that you are getting active clamping on both sides of the rotor. Kind of like the difference between side pull brakes and v-pull brakes on a bicycle. If you want quiet brakes, ceramic is about your only choice. Or dump the BBK and go back to OEM system.

After trying several types of brake grease, I found this stops the squeal on the Brembos. Lasts spring to fall and fall to spring. Brembos are starting to squeal now from the dirt.

Disassemble and clean. Lube pins, back of pads and don't forget sides of the pad's backing plate that ride on the stainless guides on the calipers.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nzdNAmQ8L._SX342_.jpg

Archived