LegacyGT.com

EWG Causing False Knock

Has anyone else been having this problem? I believe I am getting false knock due to the noise of the EWG. Ive inspected the area, and the EWG pipe is tight and isnt vibrating against anything. Any solutions? I really want to keep the wastegate VTA. Thanks.

Does the wastegate make weird noises other than the obnoxious rasp? Literally, anything metal thats loose in the engine bay/on the engine block can cause false knock. Out of curiosity, when are you experiencing false knock? is it right after/during an auto shift?

The ewg sounds normal. No lose metal that I know of, Ill go back and check. It usually occurs somewhere in between 3k and 5k. I know its not real knock because it doesn't happen on every run. If I was to reset the ecu, then do a log, it my LV would usually come out clean. Then randomly it would show -1.4 around 3k or 4k, that when the ewg is either opening, or at its loudest point.

Real knock can happen intermittently. Resetting the ecu and expecting/looking for knock is not how you're suppose to examine the engine's behavior. You need to log. Log fbkc and flkc, knock sum, and the rest of the usual. a -1.4, i would not be concerned about if that's all you're seeing(preferably NOT in the right-most column that is). Learned knock can come and go. First and foremost getting the IAM to 1 and THEN examining for knock is the appropriate. Also, full AVCS advance won't kick in until after a couple WOT sessions, so romp it and then after a few pulls see what kind of knock is present in your log.

Intermittent knock can come from heatsoak IC or improper cruise or non-cruise set timing tables.

The only way to determine if the knock is fake is to pull that amount of timing in the area you find the learned knock, if it still comes up as the same amount learned, it's probably fake. OR change the FBKC to something other than -1.4. The ecu can preemptively pull timing if certain values are outside it's limits, and can pull -1.4 automatically(like overboost situations)

Archived