LegacyGT.com

Headlight Assy Replacement

So my headlights are yellowing on my '10 and after the yearly sanding and buffing I had to do on my last car to keep the housings clear, I've decided to just replace the assembly's due to wayyyyy more affordable pricing than my last car (mazdaspeed 6).

The problem I'm running into is there are a large amount of options, though most just look like rebranded versions of each other. I'm not interested in the $600 ones that theres a thread about that apparently have a fitment issue. I'm finding on amazon Acanii, DNA motoring, and CarLights360. On CarID I'm seeing spyder and lumen.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these brands? I see they all change the style bulb from H1 to H7 or vice versa. Does this type of bulb last longer than the 7 months the stock bulbs tend to run? Fitment issues? I believe I remember people saying that 2012+ assemblies will fit my 2010 despite cosmetic differences? Whatever you've got to say on the subject, I'm all ears.

Edited by pseudonym

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my headlights are yellowing on my '10 and after the yearly sanding and buffing I had to do on my last car to keep the housings clear, I've decided to just replace the assembly's due to wayyyyy more affordable pricing than my last car (mazdaspeed 6).

The problem I'm running into is there are a large amount of options, though most just look like rebranded versions of each other. I'm not interested in the $600 ones that theres a thread about that apparently have a fitment issue. I'm finding on amazon Acanii, DNA motoring, and CarLights360. On CarID I'm seeing spyder and lumen.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these brands? I see they all change the style bulb from H1 to H7 or vice versa. Does this type of bulb last longer than the 7 months the stock bulbs tend to run? Fitment issues? I believe I remember people saying that 2012+ assemblies will fit my 2010 despite cosmetic differences? Whatever you've got to say on the subject, I'm all ears.

I just bought the DNA motoring ones on eBay (black housing and clear corner). I went through the frustration of finding that the original H7 bulbs do not work. CarID (Lumen) are the same exact ones and the spec showed H1.

I went out to autozone to find H1's and they did NOT fit. The connector inside has two prongs while H1's normally have 1 pin.

Most LEDs will have a huge heatsink that will not fit with the dust cap.

I did some research and found these on amazon. They are great so far and work great with the DNA motoring headlamps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNZPPC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry for the crappy photos

e74SnsR.jpg

tmJ4Xx0.jpg

1HxKBO7.jpg

I just bought the DNA motoring ones on eBay (black housing and clear corner). I went through the frustration of finding that the original H7 bulbs do not work. CarID (Lumen) are the same exact ones and the spec showed H1.

I went out to autozone to find H1's and they did NOT fit. The connector inside has two prongs while H1's normally have 1 pin.

Most LEDs will have a huge heatsink that will not fit with the dust cap.

I did some research and found these on amazon. They are great so far and work great with the DNA motoring headlamps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNZPPC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did all the other bulbs fit as they should?

just ordered a pair of DNA's and the H1's linked. wish me luck.

When I had to find headlights for my truck, I got two pairs of the same headlights for my truck within 3 months from DNA Motoring (because the first pair broke), they're horrible, especially aiming them. I finally ordered headlights from am-autosports, and they worked awesome before I sold my truck. I linked them below. Great price and they actually project the light from the bulb very well, along with being insulated/protected from moisture!

LINK TO 2010-2012 SUBARU LEGACY HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY PAIR: https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/headlight-assemblies/AM-604232377.html?m=780&y=2010

1. Don't waste your monies on aftermarket LED, they do not last long even the good ones.. most of the ones I have used last 1-2 years and the the LED chips blow out due to poor regulation. Get a proper HID kit... you will not be disappointed.

2. When you sand and polish your headlights you need to put a UV coating on them when you are done to keep the plastic from yellowing for a while. I would use a clear paint adhesion promoter followed by 3 or more layers of clear coat with UV protection on the lenses...and then ceramic coat them.

3. when you wax your car, raise the hood up so you are not getting any rubbing compound/polish/wax on your headlights

I wonder how long the Lamin-x clear film would help keep the headlights clear.

We had out '11 Legacy done with quality paint protection & headlights when she was just days old. The headlights are still very nice and she lives outside.

1. Don't waste your monies on aftermarket LED, they do not last long even the good ones.. most of the ones I have used last 1-2 years and the the LED chips blow out due to poor regulation. Get a proper HID kit... you will not be disappointed.

2. When you sand and polish your headlights you need to put a UV coating on them when you are done to keep the plastic from yellowing for a while. I would use a clear paint adhesion promoter followed by 3 or more layers of clear coat with UV protection on the lenses...and then ceramic coat them.

3. when you wax your car, raise the hood up so you are not getting any rubbing compound/polish/wax on your headlights

I’m well aware of the UV coating and everything associated with it. Despite best efforts it was a once a year pain in my ass. You mentioned 1-2 years for the life of the cheap led bulbs? That’s a vast improvement over the mayyyybe half a year I get from oem bulbs.

I use Meguiar's PlastX to clean my headlights, and it does an amazing job. After I clean my headlights, I spray some of Meguiar's Headlight Coating, then I repeat the clean as well as spray every year.

LINK TO MEGUIAR'S Plastx: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0000AY3SR/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3RWVHJT8GEJC&keywords=headlight+cleaner&qid=1563555096&s=gateway&sprefix=headlight+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-10

LINK TO MEGUIAR'S HEADLIGHT COATING: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17804-Clear-Headlight-Coating/dp/B01M4RVVX6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=headlight+clear+coat&qid=1563555030&s=gateway&sr=8-3

A proper UV clear coat application should last as long as if not longer than the factory protection (they use a clear coat)

I am kind of disappointed in Subaru as it seems the newer headlights do not last as long before they turn yellow.. It took 13 years for my 2003 Subaru Legacy lights to start to yellow and my 2014 is coming up on 6 years old and already starting to show the signs of yellowing... you can see it with polarized glasses

one car had 100K on it and the 14 only has 64K. Yes, I do raise my hood up when i wax the car to avoid getting paint rubbing compound/polish on them...

A proper UV clear coat application should last as long as if not longer than the factory protection (they use a clear coat)

I am kind of disappointed in Subaru as it seems the newer headlights do not last as long before they turn yellow.. It took 13 years for my 2003 Subaru Legacy lights to start to yellow and my 2014 is coming up on 6 years old and already starting to show the signs of yellowing... you can see it with polarized glasses

one car had 100K on it and the 14 only has 64K. Yes, I do raise my hood up when i wax the car to avoid getting paint rubbing compound/polish on them...

My 2013 Legacy's headlights still look factory new, almost like they just came out of the dealership... I did not clean the headlights or put a clear coat on it for 6 years... I wonder what could cause your headlights to get yellow so soon?

Not sure where they are geographically, but I know down here if you don't do something, most headlights are getting hazy after 4 or 5 years - sometimes less. I generally clean/wax the headlights every time the car is washed and it seems to do well (mine are still very clear). My car lives in a garage at night, but during the day it's out in the elements getting blasted in the sun (there is basically no shade, and the sun is rather intense here - we are at elevation, and get a lot more sun than in MA! (I grew up there!) - we get on average around 9-10" of rain a year, so "clouds" are a bit of a rarity)

Not sure where they are geographically, but I know down here if you don't do something, most headlights are getting hazy after 4 or 5 years - sometimes less. I generally clean/wax the headlights every time the car is washed and it seems to do well (mine are still very clear). My car lives in a garage at night, but during the day it's out in the elements getting blasted in the sun (there is basically no shade, and the sun is rather intense here - we are at elevation, and get a lot more sun than in MA! (I grew up there!) - we get on average around 9-10" of rain a year, so "clouds" are a bit of a rarity)

Yah I've been noticing a lot of cars get hazed headlights quick if they're only left outside... my car has been garaged most of the time until I took it from my mother when she got a new car. Now it pretty much is always outside.

My 2013 has been parked outside most of its life and the headlights are still clear. Maybe it’s pollution, like some strange reaction to acid rain or something? Just a wild guess.

Incidentally, my wife’s Forester’s headlights got all hazy after several years. I somehow ended up with a box of Wipe-New — yeah, one of those “as seen on TV” things — and gave that a try on them. It came with a wet-sanding pad they had you use on the lens before applying their magical (and really stinky!) “space-age polymer nano solution” or whatever marketing-wank they used. This was probably five years ago now and the lenses still look okay. Don’t know if it was the wet-sanding or the goop that did it. I did try the stuff on the black plastic bumper protector to help with the chalky-white appearance they get over time. It helped with that too. Maybe give it a try?

My 2013 Legacy's headlights still look factory new, almost like they just came out of the dealership... I did not clean the headlights or put a clear coat on it for 6 years... I wonder what could cause your headlights to get yellow so soon?

prolly baking out in the sun while I am at work....if you were to look at them with the necked eye you cannot see it but if you put on polarized glasses, you can see the tops starting to turn...slightly opaque

Can anyone possibly post a link for all the stock bulbs? I feel like there’s 12 different lights in our housings.

Edit: Does this seem correct?

2010 Subaru Legacy Replacement Light Bulb Size Guide

Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: H7 or H7 HID Upgrade Kit

High Beam Headlight Bulb Size: 9005 or 9005 HID Upgrade Kit

Parking Light Bulb Size: 168

Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 7440

Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 992 (7440A)

Tail Light Bulb Size: 7443

Stop Light Bulb Size: 7443

High Mount Stop LIght Bulb Size: LED Bulb

Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: H11 or H11 HID Upgrade Kit

License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168

Back Up Light Bulb Size: 921

Front Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 168

Rear Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 7443

Map Light Bulb Size: DE3175

Dome Light Bulb Size: DE3175

Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 168

Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 168

Edited by pseudonym

So my DNA Auto headlights arrived today and apparently they read the reviews/comments on amazon because the advice I'd received here as well as the mentioned online mega mall was false. The H1 LED bulbs I bought for these did not fit. The H7 bulbs I had, however, did. Anyway, they get mounted on the car tomorrow. I'll post pics of the bulb issues in this post and hopefully a success story tomorrow after the bumper has been reapplied...

dHEYJMd.jpg

the two prongs above wouldnt allow the bulb to sit flush below

hywtxQL.jpg

NOUd2RI.jpg

not sure if others' lights have this marking surrounding the bulb housing.