LegacyGT.com

Koni insert in a JDM Bilstein body?

lilredwagon

My JDM Bilsteins (LGT Rev A) seem to be coming to the end of their life. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Koni inserts in the Bilstein strut bodies.

I know that Bilsteins are inverted, but by using the disassembly instructions from this thread, it looks like you'd be left with a perfect housing to drop a Koni insert into.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blistein-hd-bump-stop-mod-99244.html

Has anyone tried it?

No, you can't use a Koni insert in a Bilstein strut. The bore is much bigger and the spacing top the bottom is different.

Justhave them rebuilt. Bilstein has a rebuilding shop in Poway California, and they can rebuild them and revalve them to whatever setting you want price is really reasonable compared to buying new and you get essentially a completely rebuilt strut. Shocks for the rear are replacement items.

Bill Stein will only build restore the internals so if your router's are rusted and corroded all to heck, then you might want to look at replacing them.

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the response! "spacing top the bottom is different" <-- by this, you mean the tophats are different? If so, yes, I was expecting that part of it.

What I was curious about was about the bodies. If the bore is too big, that's not too bad, people make spacers out of various sections of pipe that they slip the insert into to make up the slack. I just don't want to buy stock housings just to cut them up. They would be cheap, but it would all add up to being more expensive than new Bilstein B8s. As far as rebuilding them, I don't think these are worth it over new units. After adding in the cost of shipping, the difference is very slim.

• 2 weeks later...