LegacyGT.com

VF39 vs V48 vs VF52

Note for this discussion: i have a Process West intercooler, which allows me to run either our flange turbos or an STi style turbo.

It's my understanding that the difference between the vf39 and the vf48 is just the journal bearing had received an upgrade. The vf39 is prone to failure the same way the vf40 is, and the vf48 is the "new" version in the same way we got the vf46.

So, performance wise a vf39 == vf48.

Now I've also heard that the vf48 is the same as the vf52 except the compressor housing is different to accommodate the bolt-on intercooler.

So that means the vf48 == vf52 in regards to performance.

By that we can figure that the vf39 == vf52.

I could pick up a vf39 for less than $300 bucks. But a vf52 would cost me $500-550.

Is there any SOLID reason to spend the extra $250 on a vf52?

in your case, no. the 39 is more prone to cracking near the WG IIRC, but aside from that, you can run a 39 no issues. buy a 39, and send it off to JMP for upgrades.

Or PM JmP and see what he say's. Or has in stock.

Oh, I'm very happy with my vf52 and custom tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, I've already talked to jmp and his prices are similar to buying a turbo new from Subaru. My budget is for a cheap smart purchase and this thread about the price difference between a vf39 and a 52. The 39 is in budget. The 52 is barely. If I wanted to spend close to a grand I would buy the like-new Cobb 20g that's on nasioc right now. But the budget isn't allowing it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

buying a used turbo is alot like buying a used rubber. Unknown history and likely to break at any moment. Just say no.

I bought a used turbo with "3 hours of dyno time". Sold it a friend after thinking about lunching my $10,000 motor again. It lasted 2 hours for him. I gave him some money to buy a new turbo.

ymmv.

that is all sound advise for a car noob.

However, I'm ASE L1/L3 certified and know my way around turbos.

I don't plan to drop $1100-1500 for an upgraded rebuilt turbo and then bolt it to my 170k mile engine. The engine is used so the turbo will be used. If I was building from scratch it would be a completely different story.

I ended up getting a low mileage vf39 for $255. A Process West charge pipe for $83. In total I'm still way under than if I purchased a used vf52. And I should be expecting similar power. I do all the work myself, so there's no labor cost. A retune from my tuner quoted me $150. All together, I'm out the door for a completed car for less than the price of a used vf52, and less than half what just a turbo rebuild would cost me.

It's a good deal. And if the vf39 fails? Well, then I'll just bolt another one on.

I try not to "flex" because it comes off as elitist often. Especially when the conversation can be educational for all parties involved and for others who search for it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I ended up getting a low mileage vf39 for $255. A Process West charge pipe for $83. In total I'm still way under than if I purchased a used vf52. And I should be expecting similar power. I do all the work myself, so there's no labor cost. A retune from my tuner quoted me $150. All together, I'm out the door for a completed car for less than the price of a used vf52, and less than half what just a turbo rebuild would cost me.

It's a good deal. And if the vf39 fails? Well, then I'll just bolt another one on.

thats cool. we just dont want to see you need a new short block prematurely when the CHRA takes a dump in your oil passages. Pro or not, most of us, if we are sticking with a OE VF CHRA, want to make sure its gonna last. low milage does not mean un-abused or not oil starved at some point in it's life.

just make sure the shaft play is within tolerance if you already went the used route.

Its usually better to get one brand new or freshly rebuilt, just for piece of mind. If these were regular 4 banger blocks I wouldn't give two shits and blow em up all day, but when these motors go its a real money pit, just the design alone is expensive, 2 cylinder heads on a 4 cylinder...... thats why most of us prefer the extra insurance to avoid #ynansb!

• 4 weeks later...
Or PM JmP and see what he say's. Or has in stock.

Oh, I'm very happy with my vf52 and custom tune.

I searched JmP and it said he hasn't been online since 2016???

I've been looking at getting a vf52 also, ebay has reman ihi ones for $400....

Are those any good or do we want to make sure the cartridge is OEM?

• 3 weeks later...
+1 for JmP’s turbos. Running his 11 blade VF52 in my Outback daily driver and his custom 16G in my GT wagon track car

I think I might go that same route, sent JMP a message today to see what he says. Car is at 160k and I cant help but think how close that turbo is to a failure every time I drive it. I like the numbers you have on yours, do you have a post somewhere that goes through your daily build at all?

You'll be happy with John's turbos for sure, great guy and extremely knowledgable. Not sure what you mean by "daily build" but feel free to PM me if you have questions :)

I think I might go that same route, sent JMP a message today to see what he says. Car is at 160k and I cant help but think how close that turbo is to a failure every time I drive it. I like the numbers you have on yours, do you have a post somewhere that goes through your daily build at all?