LegacyGT.com

Need to put in a new front bumper

A lot more to the RHD deal that just the dash. Better to find an old postal car like I did.

As for the bumper, there are bolts on either side that hold it to the fender. Mine were behind the inner fender skirts. 2 on each side I think. Then there is a row 10mm bolts along the bottom. I think there were 4 button clips in the "mouth" of the bumper towards the top as well. That will get just the skin off. As for the whole assembly, don't remove the button clips. In the engine bay along the front frame rails there are 2 17mm bolts on each side. Remove them and the whole thing should come out.

*********DISCLAIMER*********

Don't take this 100percent word for word. It may be different. I'm going what I remember from doing this last year.

If you google for jdm fogs into bd bumper there is a tutorial for it. but really just start pulling things. several screws and bolts in the wheel well to pull the mud covers to allow access to the inner screws. order some replacement clips off ebay in advance as I broke like 5/15 of the front plastic clips

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have the same question as well, execpt im not doing just the cover, I would be doing everything. Legacy L bumper to outback bumper

now i wish we had taken pics of the swap we just did. there isnt too much to it tho, the pop clips across the top suck and will likely break. there are a couple screws on either side to remember as well. once you get the bumper cover and foam off, the bar is pretty easy to see how it bolts up.

one thing i have to say about it tho, is if you have a 95 wagon the outback bumper will not directly fit, as the frame beam across the front, where the grille is, is higher up than the outback is, making it push up your headlights. i dont think there was a need to make the beam drop down for the bigger outback grille until 96, causing it to not really fit correctly. ill see if ican get some pics of what im talking about if needed. i ended up cutting the lip of the cover off and bracketing from the bottom to keep it steady. also, the bumper on the outback has a solid lip across the front, the 95 doesnt. it is more like tabs, so those may need to be trimmed to fit as well.

Going from the L bumper to the outback bumper requires the whole thing, not just the cover. There is a bolt on either side under the inner fender. 4 bolts along the front at the bottom. The main bumper is held on by 2 bolts on either side of the radiator. It's a 15 minute swap if you don't take the cover off the main bumper. Just did it today going from the L bumper to a GT bumper.

ya i swapped out the beam, foam and cover as well. are you saying you need the frame (painted) piece that it all bolts to as well? im gonna go this weekend and see if the donor car still has anything i can use, i didnt even think to check if that part was removable when i started this adventure.

• 2 months later...
Are the wheel well splash guards different between the OB and the GT? I noticed it looks like the foam is a little different but the GT foam might work. Got some money out of a donor car and thinking about finally getting another front bumper. Need to see if I can locate an OB at the junk yard.

my splash guards are the original L model ones, they fit in nicely with the outback bumper. the original L bumper is now on my GT, and it matched up as well, so im going to say yes they are the same across the board.

my splash guards are the original L model ones, they fit in nicely with the outback bumper. the original L bumper is now on my GT, and it matched up as well, so im going to say yes they are the same across the board.

K thanks. Still having a hard time deciding outback bumper or not lol. I slightly like the OB look more but its also more of a pain to get one and possibly have to get the correct support foam and buy different fogs.

youll need the bumper beam and foam. i like the look much better than the L bumper i had. it faces the car lower in the front than the L does, that sucker looks like it is almost pointing upwards to me.

youll need the bumper beam and foam. i like the look much better than the L bumper i had. it faces the car lower in the front than the L does, that sucker looks like it is almost pointing upwards to me.

I have a GT so the beam should be the same I did notice on opposed forces that the foam was different. I think the GT foam might work but it would probably leave some air gaps between it and the OB bumper.

• 4 months later...
I have a 97 Green LGT wagon the owner before me cracked the bumper and it split right through the middle. I have been searching for days now to find a GT bumper or the Brighton L bumper near the chicagoland area i would not mind traveling to near states to find one. If anyone could help me out or lead me to a website where they sell replacement bumpers would be great! am deciding to repaint car green again. The reason i am looking for a Brighton or GT bumper besides the fact the mine is a GT is the fog light inserts and the Lip on the bottom of the bumper. Brightons did not have fog lights in theirs but had inserts for them and lip. was basically the Gt bumper without lights. Thanks!

Archived