LegacyGT.com

Hatch won't open

2005 Legacy GT wagon.. My rear hatch won't open. It's stuck with a little bit of play front to back. No matter what I do, it won't open. I've gotten into the rear panel which exposes the latch from the inside, and I can unlock it for the most part.

What I mean is, I found a broken piece of white plastic from the latch assembly. It looks like a piece that's connected to the unlocking bar. Either way, the whole latch has got to be replaced. The hand lever from the outside of the hatch doesn't spring back anymore, so I'm not sure if the wire is even connected to the latch.

Regardless, I've got to get it open. But I just can't seem to find a way. I've searched the internet and there's no help. Everything I find seems to say just open the back panel, flip the locking switch down and then open it from the outside. Well, it won't open from the outside. I kinda feel like I have to jimmy the clasp that's holding onto the striker.

But, I don't know what to use, to how to get at it. I guess any advice at this point would really help. Thanks!

Nope didn’t do it. Almost… but it’s not releasing by moving that part.
Then you're not moving the right part. There are 2 parts back there, that move together or independently depending on whether the lock is engaged. The curvy part is not the one you want. You want the edgy part that's a little less friendly to move. Try with the lock engaged and disengaged; it will work either way if you push up on the right part.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Here's the part that snapped. (That's a eBay photo of the entire latch, btw) So, I don't know if that's affecting it not opening? I'm trying my best to reach behind there blindly to find the edgy part. If anyone has a pic they can circle of what I'm trying to move that would be great. But since the unlock mechanism is broken would that affect the lever I'm trying to move?

1160674798_ScreenShot2022-06-21at9_42_58AM.png.b6fe1e1a91cb47a8afe69a9691cce064.png

IMG_0426.thumb.jpg.7a5270d735e1c5bbae55def6cb624d2e.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Kinda just want to get the new latch in hand and drill through whatever's clasping onto the striker. Pulverize it and hope it lets go. I'm just tearing up my hand trying to move something I can't see, in hopes it moves a clasp I can barely see. Really at a loss here.

The hatch closes entirely for now so that's good.

I have circled in red the part that needs to come up. It's conceivable that a broken piece of plastic from the lock has jammed it. Maybe get a screwdriver in there to get some leverage on it, but in my car, it operates easily by hand whether it's locked or not.

569736309_Backoflatch.png.1c22556e76b466a91a997964e2078a43.png

So, I just got it open. It was jammed with kinda thick black plastic. I’m not sure where the plastic came from but it got stuck in the clasp that grabs on to the striker. Only after holding down the release and using a pry bar did it finally open.

So, I replaced the latch and the handle.

But the handle was a PITA because I had to take off the garnish. I proceeded to snap 3-4 bolts just by loosening those little bolts. Now, I’ve got a wonky and not entirely sealed garnish. I messed up some plastic that holds in the bolts as well. So I’m sure it’s junk. It’s probably due to mention in another thread, but I RTV Siliconed the gap that was left temporarily.

Now, I know that’s temporary and I have to replace it. Question is, do I try and buy a JDM garnish off of eBay, or just rebuild one with a dealership piece. If I go the dealership route I’m going to need to paint it, or have it painted, and get a slew of new bolts and nuts and other parts, then remove and swap out a bunch of trim, emblems and what not.

For anyone who’s had to go that route, which would you recommend, and why? I mean I feel like I’ve got a working hatch now, but a shitty trim piece.

I have the stock trim piece in SWP because I swapped out out for the JDM piece.

I can go find it and take some pictures if you might be interested. It’s been boxed up for a couple years so I didn’t remember the detailed state of it.

I have the stock trim piece in SWP because I swapped out out for the JDM piece.

I can go find it and take some pictures if you might be interested. It’s been boxed up for a couple years so I didn’t remember the detailed state of it.

Well, I would be interested. Let me know!

Here are a couple pictures of it.

It's in excellent shape, there are some really light scuff marks that you can see in the right light. It has all the studs and a few of the nuts. All the bulbs should work (or they did when I took it off 3-4 years ago and boxed it up.

IMG_9425a.thumb.jpg.d429ce69be6012d2ee393b1978d57d06.jpg

IMG_9426a.thumb.jpg.95be77e0ad9cf04bc78ee03b3f7d45a2.jpg