LegacyGT.com

fuel pump malfunction

Greetings! new member here.

Owner of a used 04 legacy for 3 months now. On my way home driving last week the car began to shut off periodically. After about 5 shut offs it would not restart. Eventually turned over again after a 30 mins wait and stayed on until I could get home where it stays parked.

Mechanic says my fuel pump is sucking air. Is it possible to repair the pump? or should I begin searching for a new one?

Unfortunately the pump is bad, meaning even if the pump comes in separate parts for the fuel filter, pump housing, and pump, you're out the main component. A used part might work for you, but a new pump really is the way to go. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Oh, and FYI you want as little fuel in your fuel tank as possible when you replace it. 1/4 or less of a tank.

Edited by Pleides

How much does a pump run in Jamaica? What would it cost to ship from the states? Maybe one of us could ship you one. They look like roughly 36 USD stateside.

That said, I'd look deeper into why the tech thinks the pump is 'sucking air'. If that's actually the case, it seems like you may be able to just replace some o-rings in the fuel pump bucket.

Unfortunately the pump is bad, meaning even if the pump comes in separate parts for the fuel filter, pump housing, and pump, you're out the main component. A used part might work for you, but a new pump really is the way to go. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Oh, and FYI you want as little fuel in your fuel tank as possible when you replace it. 1/4 or less of a tank.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to push for a new pump. the second hand pump wouldn't last much longer until it kicks the bucket too.

How much does a pump run in Jamaica? What would it cost to ship from the states? Maybe one of us could ship you one. They look like roughly 36 USD stateside.

That said, I'd look deeper into why the tech thinks the pump is 'sucking air'. If that's actually the case, it seems like you may be able to just replace some o-rings in the fuel pump bucket.

Yup, currently trying to get a second opinion on my pump before I seriously begin searching. the auto parts stores out here are quoting me 42,000 JMD, that's 270 USD. And they dont have any in stock. i was told by one of the country's biggest supplier that the next shipment for my pump would arrive in July.

If i get one to buy online, there's a tax and customs charge on shipping according to the weight of the item, but it would without a doubt be cheaper than buying it from a supplier out here.

Edited by kinglou