LegacyGT.com

Engine swap help

I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5I limited, A week ago the motor went out. There is a hole in the block, and two of the connecting rods are snapped. I would like to do the Legacy GT motor instead of the original, I found a complete motor along with wiring harness and ECU. How hard is the swap? I was told it is relatively easy, but really how is it. How feasible is it? How much do I have to tear out to replace wiring harness? The GT motor is from a 2005, with the automatic. My car is an automatic.

As said, it's not worth the effort.

If the body is in great shape, buy a rebuilt engine from some place like Jaspers if they are still in business, or ask google where to get a 25i engine or a ej253.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you want to do a swap with this much work would be awesome in a much older legacy or gl wagon, 90's Impreza excetera

Legacy GTs are worth very little right now, better approach to getting a running legacy gt and some wrench time would be to buy a gt with a blown motor and a do a rebuild

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to do a swap with this much work would be awesome in a much older legacy or gl wagon, 90's Impreza excetera

Legacy GTs are worth very little right now, better approach to getting a running legacy gt and some wrench time would be to buy a gt with a blown motor and a do a rebuild

Interesting. Is that true?

Interesting. Is that true?
Yes I see them all the time for less than 2k with blown motors , and you really don't want to swap in a used 2.5 turbo as they have a lot of failures.

So new short block at least would be a good idea.

Not my first choice but a JDM 2.0 turbo is a much and option with a legacy GT and doesn't require all that much work

complete engine with ecu & wiring harness?

from what car?

did you get the biu & steering column & keys & rest of the wiring harness?

you'll want the brakes too

probably the transmission too

doing the engine swap is pretty easy. harbor freight crane and a couple of jack stands. basic set of tools. some drip pans and buckets for water & oil.

getting the wiring pulled and connected is a pain but not impossible. iwire services has a number of wire harness options to make the swap easier.

it's been 17-18 years since an mt lgt was made. about half have been crushed. finding one in running condition is getting harder. 7000-15000 for one in good condition.

doing this swap if you've never worked on cars before is going to be difficult. however ppl do it all the time.

Yes I see them all the time for less than 2k with blown motors , and you really don't want to swap in a used 2.5 turbo as they have a lot of failures.

So new short block at least would be a good idea.

Not my first choice but a JDM 2.0 turbo is a much and option with a legacy GT and doesn't require all that much work

Oh okay. With a blown engine. Having a car almost be worthless if it doesn't have a working engine is not unusual.