LegacyGT.com

Looks like I'm keeping my Legacy. Now looking to replace clutch, turbo etc and tune.

Well I think I am going to wind up just keeping my LGT for now. In doing so I am planning on upgrading the clutch and the turbo and getting it tuned.

Currently I have cobb AP, EBCS, CNT catted downpipe, AVO TMIC, Turbosmart Komact BPV. Not installed I have the 65c fuel pump and IPT turbo oil line kit. I have an 08 so it comes with a catless uppipe.

I am looking at going with either a 16g BNR turbo or a six star speed ball bearing turbo.

I would most likely also get some ID1000cc injectors before the tune. I've had great results with those on my other car!

My oem clutch has slipped a couple of times in sport sharp mode so I will need to replace that as well. Still undecided what to go with there as it seems there really is no go to clutch for this car unfortunately.

My car has 88k miles on it now. Any other suggestions of what to replace while doing the other things? Suspension and brakes are all done already as are sways etc for the handling department.

But anything that should be replaced or upgraded while doing the clutch and or turbo?

Inlet or tb hose? Clutch line or anything clutch related?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

I vote BB trubo from sixstar.

Have you DEI wrapped the DP ?

I guess you know to replace the oil return hose ?

I like to bolt the turbo on the up pipe, make life much easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

why 1000's? 850's would be fine and easier idle?

Same price and ID1000's idle exactly the same as any of the smaller ID injectors. Perfect idle like stock. Easier to sell if that ever happens too as they can handle a much wider power range.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

I vote BB trubo from sixstar.

Have you DEI wrapped the DP ?

I guess you know to replace the oil return hose ?

I haven't wrapped the downpipe yet. I might just get the perrin downpipe blanket. I have a turbo blanket and also modified the oem turbo heat shield to fit over the downpipe as well.

Yeah that turbo seems to be a better quality one and longer warranty etc with better powerband but about double the cost as well.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Haha believe me I am well aware of the pay to play. I have a 420+whp S2000. It cost more than my legacy GT just in mods for that one haha.

Lgeayc is my winter/errands car. So not going for record numbers. BNR 16g some swear by them but then I have read a bunch of failures it seems.

I am looking at the southbend clutches now. Anyone try one of those? They are really popular over on NASIOC for stock like pedal feel, plenty of holding power and no noise.

I did see you have had good luck with the Spec clutch but from research it seems you are the minority in regards to that on this car at least.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Yeah I thought of one of those but it's hard to trust a used turbo imo. These turbo's don't seem to last too long and buying a used one might be more pain in the long term than it's worth with the savings over a new one. I'd never buy a new VF52 though since there are much better options in that price range.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

I have read you do this a bunch. But I can't recall reading why it makes it easier. Isn't it more difficult to tighten everything down because you need to get something around the head of the bolts too?

Good thing you are keeping it b/c the new owner would have been pissed to learn of the failing clutch :lol:

Well clutch has only slipped a couple of times in sport sharp mode which is 20 psi. I have hardly ever used sport sharp mode but only slipped a couple of times total. Other times it never slipped.

Sport mode it has never slipped. That is the 16 psi tune. but yes haha I did mention all this in my for sale thread. Not out to try and trick anyone. Unless I traded it in then I would keep quiet about it.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

I have read you do this a bunch. But I can't recall reading why it makes it easier. Isn't it more difficult to tighten everything down because you need to get something around the head of the bolts too?

No, you can get a 14mm socket straight down on all 3 bolts with the Dp and heatshield removed.

I just unbolted mine to slide the turbo tot he right so the tranny would come out easier.

For the install, it was much easier to line upt he oil return hose and the intake tube without having to worry about lining up the studs too.

When I put the vf52 the first time on the studs, I remember the angle the turbo had to be at to line up the old intake tube and I cut it trying to line it up.

When I replaced short block it was very easy to line up the intake tube and oil hose then drop the 3 bolts in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not need to upgrade the tmic I don't think. Will be more than enough for whichever turbo I go with. Grimmspeed does look like it will be a very nice one though!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Hello there,

The six star would be a great fit for the ID1000's but I have had a couple customers sit on a waiting list for quite some time so plan ahead on that and confirm eta's.

The VF52 is a stout turbo even used and I have not seen many failures personally.

The BNR16G is a good fit for a lot of people but has had some failures and such so that's always something you have to think about when purchasing it.

I always suggest the ACT or FX300/350 clutch set although I have heard good things about the comp clutches as well.

I know one of the well known shops in the area ONLY uses spec clutches so it seems you have some options on the clutch choices.

I have had 2 customers have issues with their southbend clutches seizing up on them with fairly low miles although that could just be coincidence.

Hope this helps and that's my .02

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Thanks for the info! Yeah it looks like the six star speed turbos you do have to wait a long time.

For clutch I want something as similar to stock as possible. Car is my winter/bad weather car. Will be used more now that I have a baby coming in next couple months as well. We have another stock 5th gen legacy as well and might get an suv soon.

It seems the clutch masters clutches are much more on off and chatter a bit no?

Any experience with cavalli turbos?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

You're going to get a 16g and 1000cc injectors?

It does leave room for wiggle room but if you're going to do that, you should upgrade the rest of the fuel system as well. FPR and rails if you're ever going to come close to your Injector duty cycle even close to 80% with those bad boys.

No plans to come close to maxing out those injectors. They are just the same cost as the smaller ID injectors and idle/tune just the same as well so there is no reason not to get the 1000's. I also run the 1000's in my S2000 making 420+whp. Not close to maxing those out either but no reason to go any smaller.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

That's good to hear. I've had act clutch on one of my old cars and act pressure plate on my other car now with great results.

How is the engagement and pedal feel compared to stock?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Pedal is stiff but not too bad. I bought the lightened 14lb flywheel too to dump the dual mass flywheel. This clutch is awesome so far

Sorry to hear you bought a LWFW, those of us that have one say, "WOREST MOD EVER" .

I have to say Max the clutch and flywheel work flawlessly! I have installed many excedy clutches with mixed results. This flywheel was a replacement for the dual mass and I for one am glad I did it. On the other hand the engine and turbo were blown when I bought it so I have no frame of reference. Current combination of 16gbnr turbo, avo Tmic , catless dp, perrin inlet and a quality tune have made this lgt a pleasure to drive. Quick, responsive and smooth. I would recommend the combination to anyone looking for mild mods.

Archived