LegacyGT.com

AWD with selectable RWD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably be cheaper to just buy a different car at that point! you would need a dccd controller, Driver's Control Centre Differential. Maybe a transmission... not sure about how the dccd stuff works exactly so I'm not sure if it can go full 100% rear. Edited by Tehnation

There are rear-biased center diff options, but nothing that lets you change the inherent torque split on the fly like you are describing. DCCD controls lock between the front and rear axles, but that affects the relative speed of the axles, not the torque output. Changing to RWD requires mechanical changes to your transmission that can’t be switched on/off (search “RWD conversion spool”). Edited by Underdog

^no. the 5eat in the GT already has a 45/55 split VTD center. the cusco tarmac center that UD mentioned would be a downgrade and requires a FLSD to function properly, and the JDM DCCD unit along with the cusco unit is only for the 5MT. There are no easy solutions for doing what you want, especially if you say you don't have money on your side.

My current transmission has automatic, sport mode which shifts at higher/sportier rpm and manual mode.

I don’t have money on my side so I have to do things or I have to get things as cheap as I can. Just out of curiosity, does the 35/65 split work with an automatic transmission?

Any reason for wanting the rearward split? Cause i'm guessing drift? Which has been determined to be the causation of many posts of "help, my engine failed, how do i get a cheap replacement because I'm broke"

tssfab.net & subaru gears sell rwd conversion kits. Neither are cheap...think current KBB of your car

If you're trying to make it more tail happy, you'll need a rear LSD as well. The stock VLSD won't do. You can slide a lot of RWD cars with an open diff, butt a Subaru is very front heavy, and usually lifts the inside rear when you setup the swaybars to be more rotation-friendly. With the stock VLSD, you'll just lift the inside tire and spin it in the air. I say this from experience. I've had my 5sp turned RWD by welding the center diff, and you can slide it, but it's super unpredictable with the stock rear diff. You can pretty much only do donuts with that setup. Now, it has the version 8 JDM 6sp with DCCD and a Cusco rear LSD. That transmission has a 35:65 geared center split (not all 6 speeds are split like that), a torsen LSD on the front, a Cusco rear, and a DCCDpro controller, it works well. The thing is that it still isn't stupid easy like a high powered RWD car. It's a grip car, so there's that, but you need to do a clutch kick to get it sideways, but once it's there, it's beautifully controllable. It also has 420whp, which is also necessary to keep things cooking. It's a road course car, so it would probably be easier to drift if it was actually built as a drift car, but the point here is that it'll take much more than just center diff torque split to make it a drift car.

A drift car is exactly what I’m looking to do with my car lil’redwagon. In all honesty, I want to be able to give my car some gas and feel the rear end start to slide out but keep my car under control. I know if I want more of a drift car I should get a manual transmission but that won’t happen for a while.

If you actually want a drift car, it would be more economical for you to just buy a drift car and keep your LGT as your daily. As mentioned, you're going to go through engines and transmissions, in addition to body panels and whatever else gets messed up in the many crashes you endure while learning the car. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill on your idea - sliding a car is fun - but just consider that you'll be sinking a few grand into an LGT just to get it to slide, and when it does, it's not the best platform for it, so when it goes, it won't be with ballerina-like grace. Whereas you use the same amount of money and get a beater 240, E30, Miata, etc, and you'd already be mostly there. And when it's in the shop (it'll be in the shop a lot unless you plan on getting good at doing bodywork in your driveway), you can drive your LGT.

Edit: And ignoring what car you're actually going to put it on, if you want a predictable breakaway of the rear end, you'll need a mechanical LSD. Apparently these new cars with the E-LSDs work well enough, but I don't imagine you're talking about $80K+ cars here. Below that, open, VLSDs, and even some Torsen diffs, are all unpredictable relative to a mechanical LSD. They are usually a large contributor to when a car gets a reputation of having snap oversteer.

Edited by lil'redwagon