LegacyGT.com

VF48 vs VF52

Pardon me for a dumb question, but I hope it's not unappreciated by those who know as little as I do.

I am shoveling money into a savings account for the day my motor blows up (212K on it, valve clearance is super, super tight on #2 and #4 exhaust valves). I have 30K on my IHI VF46 and am thinking about upgrading to a VF52 with a new motor per the recommendations of numerous forum users here.

Of all of the turbo Subarus I have driven, I don't believe I have driven one with a VF52. However, I have driven a stock 2017 STi, and that has a VF48 turbo. I LOVED how that turbo spooled. From what I can find online, the VF52 and VF48 *should* spool similarly and use similar hardware. Is that correct? If I liked the VF48 power band, I should like the VF52 equally, right?

Thanks for answering my dumb question.

I've driven a modified and pro-tuned wrx with the vf52 and the power it had compared to my stg2 ots map vf46 was enough to make me buy a vf52. I haven't installed it yet but all I remember thinking was "Damn! Why doesnt my car feel like this?"

It had a lot more power in low and mid range. I've noticed my car doesnt seem to really come to life until I hit 4th gear.

I'm extremely happy with the vf52 some 150,000 miles later.

The wagon has great mid range power in 2nd and 3rd gear, pulls strong. Doen't fall off to much at 7000rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is there a reason you're looking at a VF48 vs. a VF52? Because they have similar specs I'd opt for the VF52 unless you're getting a deal on a VF48 or something. Plus, you don't have to worry about the typical waste gate crack that 48's get over time. Doesn't seem to affect the operation of the turbo but I'd rather not have that...

Is there a reason you're looking at a VF48 vs. a VF52? Because they have similar specs I'd opt for the VF52 unless you're getting a deal on a VF48 or something. Plus, you don't have to worry about the typical waste gate crack that 48's get over time. Doesn't seem to affect the operation of the turbo but I'd rather not have that...

I was only using the VF48 as a reference point for what to expect. I'm not planning on putting one in, I'd go for a VF52.