LegacyGT.com

How to get fuel pressure reading from a 2013 outback 2.5i

Our car don't have fuel pressure sensors. I am not any of factory vehicle that does. Even if it does it going to be tough to figure out what it is suppose to be since the fuel pump duty cycle(output) is controlled by the ECM.

If the fuel pump is losing capacity, it usuals starts off with Lean WOT and then ends up being WOT misfires. I have never seen a stumble from a newer fuel pump. Some 5th Gen have had fuel pump issue from a burnt connector on the fuel pump filter assembly. You can inspect the electrical connection by removing the rear seat and removing the access panel and then the electrical connector to see if the connector had any turn marks. The 5th Gen have a 60k service interval for fuel pump filter assembly.

Before going too crazy with the fuel system, I would inspect the ignition coil packs heat sinks for corrosion as those become known issues with in the rust belt.

^ a lot of newer models do have that IE GM Ford...so I was wondering if the Subaru was similar... I should change mine out as I am at 64K, my understanding is that it will also come with a new pressure regulator when you buy the assembly

I was just looking at the 2013 service manual. The diagrams don’t seem to show a Shrader valve on the fuel rail anymore and they don’t talk about measuring fuel pressure at all. There’s a whole big section just on disconnecting the weird fuel line connectors.

The troubleshooting section mentions that you should replace the fuel pump if you’re getting insufficient supply to the injectors but doesn’t talk about how you arrive at the supply being insufficient. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splice a 0-90 psi sender into the supply line, power it off the battery and then read it with a multimeter zip tied to your windshield wiper. That's how I've done it in my Subarus without Schrader valves on the rails, costs around $30 bucks. You can just leave the sender in the line in case you need to use it in the future. Edited by awfulwaffle

I was just looking at the 2013 service manual. The diagrams don’t seem to show a Shrader valve on the fuel rail anymore and they don’t talk about measuring fuel pressure at all. There’s a whole big section just on disconnecting the weird fuel line connectors.

The troubleshooting section mentions that you should replace the fuel pump if you’re getting insufficient supply to the injectors but doesn’t talk about how you arrive at the supply being insufficient. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy a fuel pressure tester kit with multiple attachments. Some will have the quick disconnect you need to run the tester in-line to check fuel pressure. I wish all manufacturers had Schrader valves, it makes life much easier.

I have seen fuel rail pressure sensors on quite a few cars, I replaced one on a ~2004 Explorer a few months ago. Easy to replace but I had to pull the plenum.