LegacyGT.com

STI Exhaust cams with stock turbo?

Hey guys.

Quick story:

Had a very unfortunate event happen yesterday. Cruising down the highway and all of a sudden there was a loud tick and then the wonderful sound of piston rod smashing against everything.

Well maintained "stage 2" 2011 LGT with 155,000km (96,000 miles).. I've owned the car for 3 years. I hardly ever drive the car hard. It always had a quiet tick, I just wrote it off as a noisy boxer. That tick evolved very quickly into catastrofic engine failure yesterday.

Anyways. I'm swapping the engine out for a low mileage JDM engine.

My question is: Has anyone installed the STI exhaust cams and still ran the stock turbo? Would there be any issues with this ? I plan on upgrading to an 18g in the new year. Thought I would get them installed now.

A full build is out of the budget right now.

Thanks guys.

Pictures for the hell of it:1f1275e3ce24b7e986d32b6a42308201.jpg3379a8cab793dcb5ccfcb71cd52fa7a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Do it. Then just get protuned because you'll want to maximize the new turbo and any other changes you may be doing. Dual avc is a great thing for tuners
Thanks a lot! After the new engine is in I was going for a protune. I don't want to risk another engine.

Any idea where I can source the cams? I've googled the hell out of it and can't seem to find 08+ oem STi exhaust cams.

Thanks a lot! After the new engine is in I was going for a protune. I don't want to risk another engine.

Any idea where I can source the cams? I've googled the hell out of it and can't seem to find 08+ oem STi exhaust cams.

WTB or other for sale threads in NASIOC. Should be super easy to get a used set for cheap. At least, that is what I did....

Thanks guys.

Would camshafts from a 2015 STi work? I don't think much has changed with the new gen. Figured I should double check :)

yes. I too hunted NASIOC... got mine there. Got a full set (intake/exhaust) for about $200...

BTW, I don't think there is any different (JDM vs. USDM) "design" concerning the shortblocks which is what you are going to need.....outside the diesel ones. The question is how bad is it? Full build out of budget - you realize that you might be looking at 3k for just the shortblock, 1k for the remove and install, 1k for all the other "bits"...attached is the simple quote from AWDTuning on a basic motor swap with new casings to help with the numbers... Many of us have traveled this road, keep asking for help. Good luck!

Est_10096512_from_AWDTuning_10608.pdf

yes. I too hunted NASIOC... got mine there. Got a full set (intake/exhaust) for about $200...

BTW, I don't think there is any different (JDM vs. USDM) "design" concerning the shortblocks which is what you are going to need.....outside the diesel ones. The question is how bad is it? Full build out of budget - you realize that you might be looking at 3k for just the shortblock, 1k for the remove and install, 1k for all the other "bits"...attached is the simple quote from AWDTuning on a basic motor swap with new casings to help with the numbers... Many of us have traveled this road, keep asking for help. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the info! I'm in Canada and these engines are vert hard to come by. A Jap engine shop had one imported in a few months ago so I have one sitting here ready to go.

The engine from Japan has 60,000 km (37,000 miles) and I got it for $3500 CAD (2800 USD). $1500 to install. So all in all its a pretty good deal.

I found 08+ STi cams on eBay today!

Any idea if I would see a power increase with the exhaust cams with the stock turbo and a protune?

I'm generally all for used parts, but with the valvetrain I would buy new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Just stealing part numbers :lol:

Also if I'm buying new, do I need the retainers and seats? also how many springs will I need.

Actually.. in fahr_side 's power blocker thread I found the answer to 2 of my questions in 1 post back in Feb.. I read that thread 5 times and missed that blurb.

He also suggests to use STi valve springs.

He also states I should pick up a lot of mid range torque!

I bought my car used from a member on here, the engine has CP pistons and the STI exhaust cams, far as I know thats it. I ran it on the stock tune , then the off the shelf Cobb tune, and now I have it on E85. I had it tuned here locally and it made 293 hp and 330 TQ, runs great, never knocks and is at only 18 psi of boost. I didnt want the tuner to go crazy, its my fun driver.

I bought my car used from a member on here, the engine has CP pistons and the STI exhaust cams, far as I know thats it. I ran it on the stock tune , then the off the shelf Cobb tune, and now I have it on E85. I had it tuned here locally and it made 293 hp and 330 TQ, runs great, never knocks and is at only 18 psi of boost. I didnt want the tuner to go crazy, its my fun driver.
Are those numbers with the 85 tune ?

Archived