LegacyGT.com

2010 2.5GT Remote Start

i have found part# H001SAJ000 online as a Subaru genuine part remote start - dealer installed. I'm curious if this is actually an available install for the 2.5GT Limited? While I found it on Subaru's site, it doesn't actually say if it's available for a manual transmission...before I call a dealership, I'm wondering if anyone knows...(I'm new to Subaru and love my new-to-me 2.5GT!)

it only comes with a manual transmission and this is a dealer installed USDM option - so the remote start would need to somehow bypass the clutch switch and start the vehicle (I'm guessing) when it's parked in neutral. Remote starts are usually only available for automatics I know, but because the GT tells you what gear you're in, I am wondering if it available because the vehicle knows that it's in gear. With that feature, and that it would be integrated into the vehicle's stock system, I'm curious if it's actually possible to install or if anyone has it installed?

A number of years ago, a board member made and sold, a small wiring harness that would allow the 5th gen MT-equipped Legacies to be started without depressing the clutch. I am a bit too busy to search for that thread at the moment, but I purchased the device, and it has worked flawlessly for a lot of years.

Best.

Byll

Subaru will not install remote start on cars with standard transmission. There are aftermarket kits out there to do it, and they usually require some sort of sequence to be completed before you leave the car to enable it to remote start one time. I had an aftermarket alarm on the '08 spec.B I had that had the remote start feature, and I never used it because the arming sequence was a pain in the rear to do every time, and I ended up getting rid of the alarm system because whoever installed it didn't know what they were doing.

These alarms work with the factory one through modules specific to the vehicle. The factory remote start is not that swift from what I have read and has a few limitations which the aftermarket systems do not. You should talk to a local installer, maybe they can put your mind at ease.

It's worth noting that when we leased my wife's Impreza, the local dealer actually installed an aftermarket remote start system. We didn't pick it out; my wife simply requested remote start and the dealer selected the system and installed it. But it definitely wasn't the OEM system.

I have a drone v2 plus compustar brain in my car. Works great.

You can't accidentally start it while in gear. It's impossible, since you have to leave it in reserve mode. The care shuts off after you get out. Useless for those who don't trust the park brake.

I get the idea of the bypass, I just know that I will be the person who gets in one day and bump starts my car into the fence, lol. Better safe than sorry!

It only bypasses the clutch during remote start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just a DIY hack, not a remote starter. Any decent remote starter bypasses the clutch swith on remote start, and requires the car to be in reserve mode, which means the car was shut off in neutral, with everyone out and the doors locked and park brake set. This means the car has to be in neutral. The only way it may not be is if the window is down and you reach in and pop it in gear... So don't leave your window down while unattended anyway, right?

• 1 year later...
Great info here. Thanks all. I am looking to install a remote starter soon. Anyone have any recommendations besides the Viper?
I've had a viper with smartstart in my Mazdaspeed 6 and 4 different Compustar+Drone mobile systems. The original version 1 dronemobile receivers were garbage but the newer ones are excellent. Drone mobile service is cheap, too... If you are into the whole start with your phone from far away thing.

Currently, I have a gen-2 drone mobile system with compustar brain in my LGT and I have a gen-3 drone mobile system and compustar brain in my SantaFe Sport. Both work very well. Basically the best systems are compustar/drone, viper/smart-start, and Titan.

Does the compustar allow entry without shutting off the vehicle? And instead of the oem key fob you use the aftermarket or both?

Good Question!

From what I have read in the manual for the 2way system it emphasizes that you cannot put your foot on the brake before inserting the key and turning it to the on position otherwise it will kill the engine. This tells me that you do not have to shut if off before getting in and driving.

• 2 months later...
Does the compustar allow entry without shutting off the vehicle? And instead of the oem key fob you use the aftermarket or both?
That entirely depends on the car. Toyotas with push button start shut off. Dunno about Subarus with PBS. My LGT doesn't... You just put in the key and turn it to on. Just don't touch the brake peddle prior.

In the Santa Fe with push button start, it's a little different. You just get in the car and touch the brake and it checks for you key and turns to ON without you doing anything.

In neither case does the car shut down.

I don't use the compustar fob.... It stays at home. Just the key and the drone mobile app on my phone.bc37b3fefb8010028316f332abfae3d3.jpg

Archived