LegacyGT.com

NEW Nav firmware update 11-21-16 for 15 and 16 Legacy

My '17 Outback Premium has a FB856US Nav radio. I have tried to check the software version but holding the Vol control in while pushing the Tun button 5 times only brings up my personal wallpaper (pic of my dog).

I'm sure there's a trick to it that I haven't found but could somebody answer a few questions about getting that info?

1) what position should the ignition key be in?

2) car running or not?

3) radio playing or not? My radio will not turn off; I just mute it. I've tried pushing in the Vol control but even after a minute it is still on.

4) can I use an 4 gig SD card with a USB adapter? All my USB drives are 16 gigs or larger.

Thanks! Bill

To check the version, car has to be on, but not necessarily running. (But running is OK, too.)

You have to press and hold the "HOME" button, not the volume button, while you press the "TUNE" button 5 times.

I don't know about using an SD card and adapter. I bought a couple of 4GB memory sticks just for doing the update to be sure. Although you could do it with just one memory stick if you really want/need to save a couple of bucks. I bought a couple of these for the occasion: https://www.newegg.com/team-model-tc1714gb01/p/N82E16820313987

Edited by Outback_Jon

I don't know about using an SD card and adapter. I bought a couple of 4GB memory sticks just for doing the update to be sure.

There's no reason you couldn't use an SD card/USB adapter, but 4 GB USB flash drives are dirt cheap these days. Like you, I just bought a couple of 4 GB USB flash drives to use for this purpose.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

There's no reason you couldn't use an SD card/USB adapter, but 4 GB USB flash drives are dirt cheap these days. Like you, I just bought a couple of 4 GB USB flash drives to use for this purpose.

My only thought would be that it provides one more possible failure point in the connections from the SD card to the adapter vs. a dedicated USB stick. And the cost of possibly replacing a head unit vs. $7 for two 4GB sticks, it seems like cheap insurance.

• 4 weeks later...
^^^ Others have reported that you have to be using M$ Internet Explorer as your browser when accessing subarunet to download head unit firmware files.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
I am looking for a download of the above files. Does anyone have them and would be willing to share them with me. I am needing to update my 2017 Outback. I have been told the same file for Legacy works for the outback as well. I've tried to find the info in the forum but am getting a bit lost. Any help is most appreciated:);):redface::rolleyes::spin:.

I am looking for a download of the above files. Does anyone have them and would be willing to share them with me. I am needing to update my 2017 Outback. I have been told the same file for Legacy works for the outback as well. I've tried to find the info in the forum but am getting a bit lost. Any help is most appreciated:);):redface::rolleyes::spin:.

Start by verifying which files you need depending on which head unit you have. This PDF gives the head units and the file names: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GsxMABCIrALrpYZh6cOGnIc6w38Xv1LH/view?usp=sharing

Then find the files in my Google Drive, download them, and follow the instructions *exactly*. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZoxF0llKjYlQEQR-5GdN1VFDsodBgnvs?usp=sharing

Read the instructions a couple of times to be sure you understand what you are doing.

You'll need a couple of USB 2.0 drives that are 2GB to 4GB. And it's a good idea to hook up a battery charger to your car. (Alternatively, it can be done with the car running.)

Once you get the firmware updated, you can consider updating the Gracenotes database. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X9MzJ6ElEdp2OvfEAtIxLYlVArFpZkcW/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Outback_Jon
Updated Google Drive link.

I am needing to update my 2017 Outback. I have been told ...

When undertaking something like this, "I have been told ..." isn't good enough. You need to verify everything yourself, to 100% certainty. Start by confirming that your head doesn't already have the latest firmware loaded.

Read the instructions a couple of times to be sure you understand what you are doing.

Amen! "Understand" is the key word here. Updating this firmware isn't hard, but doing it wrong can still brick your head unit.

spacer.png

When undertaking something like this, "I have been told ..." isn't good enough. You need to verify everything yourself, to 100% certainty. Start by confirming that your head doesn't already have the latest firmware loaded.

I agree 100%.

In this case, "I have been told" is correct. The Outback and Legacy do use the same firmware, assuming the same head units. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone send me a link to the 2 files for a 2016 Outback HU ID is FB695US so i need the NU9314 1st and 2nd files.

You can also just email them to me at brti@novozymes.com though you would have to change the file extensions from .exe to something like .abc to get through then I would just change them back.

Thanks

They're available in my Google Drive. :icon_roll

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZoxF0llKjYlQEQR-5GdN1VFDsodBgnvs?usp=sharing

Edited by Outback_Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had my firmware updated from the dealer for my 2015 Legacy Limited to NU9022. It has been updated for Nor and eSD but not DB. Was my update done correctly? And Does anyone know what DB is and what that controls?

Nor - NU9022

eSD - NU9022

POWER - 02.4027

CAN - 14.0015

POWER BOOT - 02.4017

POWER VCL - 02.0103

DB - NU9017

Thanks!

In my experience, all three modules (Nor, eSD, and DB) should always be the same revision level. The "NU" prefix indicates that your head unit includes Nav. Is that correct?

spacer.png

If I remember correctly from when I updated mine, the DB entry changed after the second part of the update was completed. So maybe the dealer only did the first part of the update?

EDIT: Looking back through this thread, it seems that the "DB" is the backup database version. Which should be updated to the current version with the second step of the flashing. I don't have my car here at the moment (Stupid body shop!!!) to check, but I'm pretty sure the numbers match on mine.

Edited by Outback_Jon

Thanks. The dealership says that it was done correctly. Hard to convince them they have done it wrong. I am not experiencing any issues at the moment so I may just leave good enough alone.

• 1 month later...
Start by verifying which files you need depending on which head unit you have. This PDF gives the head units and the file names: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GsxMABCIrALrpYZh6cOGnIc6w38Xv1LH/view?usp=sharing

Then find the files in my Google Drive, download them, and follow the instructions *exactly*. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mKBRYhfx4GLnpf468javwvhVmkII6gQb?usp=sharing

Thanks so much for sharing these files! However, perhaps I'm missing something (if so, my apologies), but I don't see the connection between the zip file names to anything mentioned in the PDF above.

I'm looking for the files for my 2017 Legacy (head unit FB876US), which should be MY17_LEG_OUT NAVI #1 (containing C_NU9511_USB_1st.exe) and MY17_LEG_OUT NAVI #2 (containing C_NU9511_USB_2nd.exe).

Which zip files would they be?

Somehow, that's the link to my other Google drive that has firmware for other generations of head units.

Try this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZoxF0llKjYlQEQR-5GdN1VFDsodBgnvs?usp=sharing

The .exe files you need are available there.

Edited by Outback_Jon

Can anybody help me as well. Really need the updated files for 2015 legacy w/Navi -harmon, Lots of issues as reported in the updated TSB and would love to complete this update. If anybody can help it would be amazing. Thanks.

Literally everything you need, from the TSB to the update files is available in the post immediately above yours.

If you need more help than that, you'll need to be more specific with your questions.

Jon thank you for the files much appreciated. I am running into issues have tried a few different USB drives. My update keeps getting stuck. I have let it sit for as long as 30 minutes with no progress. It goes quickly on the first few screens as the loading bar completes but after about the 3rd or 4th time it just gets stuck right just as it reached the OK button. Any thoughts? Anybody else have this problem. I only thing I can think of is I have 9020 firmware, this update is 9022 do I needed to update to 9021 first before moving to 9022. If anybody has advice it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Like 1

The first step of the update really does take a long time. Just wait patiently and it should complete. The progress bar may not move for quite a while. I think it may take longer than 30 minutes. I just walked away from the car and did some other things before going back to it later. I hooked the car up to a battery charger just to be on the safe side.

No, there's no need to update to 9021 first. This current firmware contains all the previous updates.

Does anyone happen to know if there is access to the update that is required for STARLINK subscribers who have the 3G system? Apparently starting February 2022, the 3G technology will be updated and those who are subscribed with the old technology will get their subscription canceled. Subaru is giving a complimentary upgrade for this, so it's not a huge deal, but I thought if there were files you could download and put on a usb flash drive and install like these firmware updates, that would save a trip to the dealer.

Does anyone happen to know if there is access to the update that is required for STARLINK subscribers who have the 3G system?

Short answer: No.

Apparently starting February 2022, the 3G technology will be updated ...
Not quite accurate. The cellular carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) are all currently decommissioning their 3G service to make room on their towers for the new 5G infrastructure. At some point in the near future, 3G will be gone completely ... just like the ancient (i.e. 1990s) analog cellular service that preceded it. 4G-LTE will probably be around for another decade, at least until the next "great thing" comes along. Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png