LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

"I live in detroit" seems like code for "I'll move anywhere for a better job". Maybe 1992 was a really bad year to live in Michigan, but getting trained as a welder with a bunch of master welders to learn from, I'd be packing my car and heading out of town tonight. ymmv

Haha it's been good here so far. Maybe because I'm actually in ann arbor. Also I drive around all day and make 40k a year doing next to no work. Hell tonight I made 40/hr bringing people food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about Detroit city proper, but the metro area isn't so bad for work. When I moved out here from Milwaukee ~5 years ago, one of the things that really stood out to me was that there were jobs advertised everywhere I went. Like an order of magnitude more than back home. Until Covid hit, there wasn't a day where I didn't drive by multiple businesses on my way home with signs out front looking for skilled tradesmen (machinists, welders, etc). There's less now, but I see them.

Don't know about Detroit city proper, but the metro area isn't so bad for work.

There's definitely a bunch of white collar engineering jobs, and with that always comes blue collar skilled trade jobs to support them. The problem is that the jobs are pretty focused on the automotive industry. Everyone works in automotive, and nothing else.

Went to a track event yesterday for the first time in two years...as a volunteer. A 2018 ferrari red wrx <> boxkita's wagon. Several instructors asked if I still had the wagon and then told me a story about seeing it on track. By day's end, a couple of students were talking about "some old dude that has a wagon that he flogs out here". :wub:

I made a couple of runs in the wrx. what a pig. Guess we'll be selling the wrx so I can put more money in the wagon. Still, if an audi rs6 avant rolls off the transporter unclaimed, it's going to be tough to say no.

Went to a track event yesterday for the first time in two years...as a volunteer. A 2018 ferrari red wrx <> boxkita's wagon. Several instructors asked if I still had the wagon and then told me a story about seeing it on track. By day's end, a couple of students were talking about "some old dude that has a wagon that he flogs out here". :wub:

I made a couple of runs in the wrx. what a pig. Guess we'll be selling the wrx so I can put more money in the wagon. Still, if an audi rs6 avant rolls off the transporter unclaimed, it's going to be tough to say no.

In the creepy way that is the internet, after you posting about the audi, I got fed a jalopnik article about one being listed 100k over value. Dealer said they'd likely lower it to a mere 30k over. It sold shortly after the article posted, I presume at 30k over retail. Crazy.

Few updates over the weekend.

IMG_8288.thumb.jpg.1ffd123ac6811b8133c519e67b3999aa.jpg

Replaced the AVO TMIC with a Grimmspeed; GS is MUCH bigger :lol:

Had to remove the STi strut brace to fit it.

Replaced the 200k mile clutch slave and rubber hose with OEM from sixstar Bernie (thank you!); clutch feels amazing now.

Replaced HID bulbs as one was out and the other flaky.

Wrapped the GS intake box with Lava Heat Shield mat.

Modified the GS radiator shroud to work with the intake snorkel.

Cut off the tool tray and bent the front down in front of the snorkel so it forms an extended lip.

All in all a good weekend for being hopped up on pain meds for a kidney stone...

Finished all four doors with the Kilmat today and fixed my driver window.

Probably 4yrs since I had a working window, but I could easily lower and raise it by hand. Could hear the motor working, but 2/3 of the bolts holding the motor into gear fell off in the door and the last one was hanging on by a thread or two. Used a mirror to figure it all out and was very very satisfying.

The Kilmat is pretty awesome. The doors have a solid thud closing and road noise is definitely down all around. The stereo is noticably improved and I focused on getting the panel behind the speakers filled. It's very nice in my experience. Fit two sheets in each front door, and one sheet in each rear door, plus the entire trunk. Decent bit of work, but not bad at all honestly with a heat gun, caster wheel, and plastic pry tools, lots of time.

Ass shot

297824906_Screenshot_20210321-1941052.thumb.png.47a32ed8118cad542636e6145a7c22c8.png

1299651729_Screenshot_20210321-0908593.thumb.png.e877ba5e9a6c295ff397f2da0cb50926.png

Finished all four doors with the Kilmat today and fixed my driver window.

Probably 4yrs since I had a working window, but I could easily lower and raise it by hand. Could hear the motor working, but 2/3 of the bolts holding the motor into gear fell off in the door and the last one was hanging on by a thread or two. Used a mirror to figure it all out and was very very satisfying.

The Kilmat is pretty awesome. The doors have a solid thud closing and road noise is definitely down all around. The stereo is noticably improved and I focused on getting the panel behind the speakers filled. It's very nice in my experience. Fit two sheets in each front door, and one sheet in each rear door, plus the entire trunk. Decent bit of work, but not bad at all honestly with a heat gun, caster wheel, and plastic pry tools, lots of time.

Ass shot

I remember doing this to my civic and how phenomenal it was. Also did the roof as rain sounded like the apocalypse in that car. Should add this to the to do list.

When I worked at Audi the S6 with the V10 was always one of my favorites to take out for a spin. The V8 S4 was dog slow and just made a bunch of noise with no performance, the RS4 was a different story that was actually nice to drive.

I was not a fan of the R8, mostly because they kept parking those stupid things behind my stall so I always had to be extra careful around it.

But the best Audi fail is the S6 where you have to lower the sub-frame to remove the oil filter!!! :lol:

Few updates over the weekend.

[ATTACH]290876[/ATTACH]

Replaced the AVO TMIC with a Grimmspeed; GS is MUCH bigger :lol:

Had to remove the STi strut brace to fit it.

Replaced the 200k mile clutch slave and rubber hose with OEM from sixstar Bernie (thank you!); clutch feels amazing now.

Replaced HID bulbs as one was out and the other flaky.

Wrapped the GS intake box with Lava Heat Shield mat.

Modified the GS radiator shroud to work with the intake snorkel.

Cut off the tool tray and bent the front down in front of the snorkel so it forms an extended lip.

All in all a good weekend for being hopped up on pain meds for a kidney stone...

Nice work. I want to get this TMIC but I am afraid if I will have fitment issue with my Radium AOS. Anyone has both installed?

Can't believe you did all of that with a kidney stone. That must be hurting!

Finally had the 02 WRX BBS's installed, nice change after 16 years of the stockers.

I'll say those look pretty good, I'm one of those that think the 5 spoke look great on these, but those do look good.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll say those look pretty good, I'm one of those that think the 5 spoke look great on these, but those do look good.

Thanks Max, I'll probably refinish the 5 spoke's somehow, I liked the look too.

I was shocked at how much more the stockers weighed too. Need to drive it and see if I can feel a difference.

did you get the sparkplug upgrade for extra fire on downshift?

My buddy had a "flame thrower" kit on his 71 C-20. That thing had 3" pipes from the headers to a side exit on each side.

He would flip a switch, pump the gas and floor the clutch and it would kill the coil under the hood and would send the trigger signal to a coil in the rear. This never worked how you would hope it would, and would make a nasty backfire!!!

When it worked it would send 3 foot flames out the side, sounded like a dragon was using gasoline for mouth wash.

Yesterday I finally found the source of a rattle/clunk on my wife's outback sport that's been driving me insane for the last 1.5 years.

I have a spare set of knuckles/hubs that I keep for wheel bearing changes (since the OBS is not like the LGT cartridges). Her car is lifted and we go through wheel bearings at least every other year. Last time I changed them I noticed an odd clunk starting when braking from the rear. It's gotten worse and worse. I went down the rabbit hole and replaced bushings, calipers, etc. and it never got better.

Here is a picture of the right rear parking brake/hub setup. Yep... apparently I didn't torque the dang bolts on that one! At least I found it before the bolt backed out all the way and damaged something. cd789e2c02cfd68e9fa8dec3c95f97e8.jpg

Except I didn't break anything, lol.

That bolt hanging out for 18months says otherwise. Hicksta didn't always break things but he did share more than a few "oh bummer that's not what I expected to find " moments.

if you broken something else while fixing that, you would have "Hicksta'd" it. but alas you didn't fo that either.

I take it back...hicksta0.5

edit: looking up hicksta which led to waspy which led to all kinds of carnage...cheap coilover thread?

Edited by boxkita