LegacyGT.com

Anybody removed the rear bumper cargo loading protector thing?

I'm looking to replace my beat up rear bumper on my 05 wagon in the next couple months and I'm wondering A. Can you remove the black plastic cladding that sits atop the rear bumper to protect it from scrapes when loading cargo, and B. does anybody have any pics of this on the USDM rear bumper? Not looking to go with the JDM rear bumper where this isn't natively on the bumper.

Are you looking for a close-up picture of plastic scratch protector on USDM wagon rear bumper?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Are you looking for a close-up picture of plastic scratch protector on USDM wagon rear bumper?

Sorry, I should have specified. I'd like pics of the bumper without the cargo loading plastic protector.

Being bored I went up stairs to see if the sales brochure from 2005 had that picture. Sorry it doesn't, the rear photo's have the cover. Even to 2005 brochure for the Outback has the cover/protector.

I can check the 1998 and 2000 Legacy brochures too if you'd like...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It should be just glued on. Not sure the paint color will be the same as its not been faded by time.

Not its worth the effort.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm just wondering if it can be removed. I'm thinking the car would look better without the protector.

It should be just glued on. Not sure the paint color will be the same as its not been faded by time.

I took a real close look and to my surprise it appears to be molded as part of the bumper itself. I could not find any little gaps or any signs that it is a separate piece.

Wife's Tribeca came without it and I bought and installed one on Tribeca so I know what it is and how it (typically) attached to bumper.

Dang, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to live with it being on there. I might keep my old rear bumper after a shop does a new one on here and try removing the thing with a heat gun from the old bumper to see what happens.

Here is a closeup of the corner. I don't see this to be glued on, seems like its molded together. Look at the upper part especially:

attachment.php?attachmentid=284054&stc=1&d=1587434377

IMG_20200417_104054.thumb.jpg.5c4b58e7f47b736158b059c5d826b277.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bump to the bumper thread. I figure any shop can do this if the money is there and they do custom work. I was curious and decided to Photoshop a similar car to mine (this one is from my friend's Craiglist listing of his own car from awhile back - made for a nice image to work with) with the cargo loader protection removed. Quick and dirty 20 minute job, but I think I may have to find a shop to do this for me when my bumper gets replaced cuz this looks pretty good...

bumperedit.png.0b8de00070e0b5810013d1f753220c7b.png

I think is a nice hybrid of the USDM and JDM bumpers. The JDM bumper just doesn't look quite right to me... to put it bluntly it looks like it has no ass. The USDM looks a bit underbite-y with the cargo protector. I think this works as a nice middle ground.

Edited by Pleides

I could get behind that. It does look good. I also considered doing this, until I found out it was one piece, and I load the wagon too much, so I'd scratch the bumper up.

I am also a fan of the USDM > JDM. I like the JDMs but I like the USDMs more for the same reasons I like ass.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I could get behind that. It does look good. I also considered doing this, until I found out it was one piece, and I load the wagon too much, so I'd scratch the bumper up.

I am also a fan of the USDM > JDM. I like the JDMs but I like the USDMs more for the same reasons I like ass.

Amen to that, except for one detail……I want the exhaust cutouts on my obxt! Usdm bumper with Jdm cutouts. I thought about cutting the bumper and building pieces out of fiberglass to cover the cuts that would never look right but I know I’d never be happy with them and my good friend that does all my paint and body that lives 1,000 miles away would give me shit for the rest of my life on how they look

This one is in pretty bad shape but cheap. You'd have to paint it anyway.

Not sure if they'd ship though. Never hurt to ask.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/154550292834?fits=Platform%3ABL%2C+BP&hash=item23fbea5162:g:JaAAAOSwyuhhA8Rt

Edit: this one may be for a Legacy wagon though.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

'Just' get an EDM/JDM rest of the world OB bumper and you will have cut out. I have it installed on one of my cars. Looks good. And I removed the cargo protector piece. On non USDM bumper, it is in fact a thick rubber piece.

Any pics of what you're talking about? Google shows me pictures with ugly black plastic on the underside of the Outback bumpers for the EUDM models.

Yeah that’s for a legacy. I’d spend $200, hell I’d spend $5-700 for that. I plan on having the whole car painted in the next few years. Just need to drive it back to wyoming and leave it there so my friend can work his magic. Also need to get him on painting my jet ski! I’d love to bring both back to az at once