LegacyGT.com

Painting break calipers, help with color.

Hey guys,

I'm running out of things to do to my car and have decided I want to bring some life to my calipers. I'm just stuck with what color to paint them.

I have the following choices:

Silver, Red, Blue, Yellow and Gold

I think I like the idea of red best, my reasoning is I will have the red super tones up front, red lights in back, red accents on roof rack, figured might as well keep going with the accent color and add some to the side.

I'd love to hear you opinions on the choices, also, decal or no decal?

Oh, here's a pic of the car to help with the decision.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2aguide.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2r2lspl.jpg

Thanks,

Mario

First off..Beautiful wagon! Really like that car/color/tint.

I'd say go with red calipers. You're on the right train of thought there. In my opinion, a "Subaru" decal for the calipers would look nice too. DocHolladay23 can hook you up with those decals!

blongo804 Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, but it looks like I may have to rethink the painting, let's see what others have to say.

Scooby Fan - LOLLL I'm getting the feeling it's something that is looked down upon? They are not very nice to look at as is, they have some rust on them figured I'd bring some life to them. But if this is how ppl feel about painting stock callipers I will definitely think against doing it lol.

Strizzy123 - Looks like scooby is not the only one that is not a huge fan of painted OEM callipers.

I'm going to sit on this for a while, but I may just paint them silver to satisfy the eyesore, or just look into upgrading. Anybody have some better callipers for sale? :-P

I say paint 'em! I like seeing painted calipers - stock or a big brake kit. I don't think you should be frowned upon for painting them. Most of the time they look like crap and painting them helps freshen them up. As long as you don't go telling people you've got Wilwoods or Brembo's or whatever, then I see nothing wrong with it.

However, I don't like most of the options you've listed. I think most of those colors would clash with that bronze/brown color, except for silver, but you've got silver wheels... I know you've got other red on the car, but, at least in my mind, I'm thinking the red would be bright red. I don't think it would look good. I'd say go with black. It's subtle enough, but will help clean up the calipers.

Oh, and no sticker. That I think should be reserved for the Brembo's, Wilwoods, and other more high-end brake kits.

Just my $ .05 haha

I say do it too! But i think you should do red... I would just try to find a red caliper paint as close to the red on your car as possible.

Doesn't have to be a perfect match though because the calipers are far enough away from the rest of the red pieces that it would be hard to tell.

As far as decals I would say just get the SUBARU lettering Doc has made for a few others. He just did a few recently i believe and the guys posted the pics on their calipers.

And don't worry about other people frowning on you for freshening up a rusty caliper. It's your car!

Something that might help you make up your mind... Take a side shot of the car with the calipers visible, and then have someone photoshop different colors onto the calipers. It'll at least give you a rough idea and possibly help you eliminate different colors.

blongo804 Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, but it looks like I may have to rethink the painting, let's see what others have to say.

Scooby Fan - LOLLL I'm getting the feeling it's something that is looked down upon? They are not very nice to look at as is, they have some rust on them figured I'd bring some life to them. But if this is how ppl feel about painting stock callipers I will definitely think against doing it lol.

Strizzy123 - Looks like scooby is not the only one that is not a huge fan of painted OEM callipers.

I'm going to sit on this for a while, but I may just paint them silver to satisfy the eyesore, or just look into upgrading. Anybody have some better callipers for sale? :-P

You guys are right...I am not a big fan of painted OEM calipers....BUT...if I was going to do it for "Clean up" reasons it would definitely be silver.

We spend a good deal of time in SE Asia and specially in Thailand every other car/truck/van etc etc has those Brembo caliper covers on them....they are super cheap over there and EVERYONE has them....we were at the night market once and saw them for $8 for 4 covers....RICE in the land of rice:lol:

BTW...sweet looking wagon...if the calipers need cleaning up...go with silver or light grey.

Silver grey or black. I did mine black because black looks better than rust. And I wasn't sure how silver would look with the gold wheels I'm considering.

IME, get a brush on kit as well, not a spray kit. I've done both and prefer the brush on version. Eastwood and Summit both sell kits

IMO, red looks ricey. Your car is much better than that, just like others said, do silver or black. Here's a few pics of mine in black.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d731b3127ccec241cfc9192200000010O00AZtHDZo1bt2IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d731b3127ccec240b2f179f000000010O00AZtHDZo1bt2IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

My wife's balls are delicious.

I did black on my last car and it made the calipers blend it too much IMO. I did silver on this car and I really like it.

So I say Silver. Stay away from colors.

PS. Clean wagon!

LSxFTW, NWSPECB, Mr. Sinister, GEE-OTTO, Nrw, Scooby Fan, BigTDogg (MA), blongo804, bmx045, fx4me, F1inspiredLGT - Thank you for your input guys.

You guys have helped me narrow it down to black or silver. I will save the crazy colours for when I upgrade the brakes :-P It's really nice to be able to get an argument from both sides before making a decision :D

GEE-OTTO - Thank you! As soon as I get out of work I'm gonna look up this AVO kit and hopefully it's not as good as the name makes it out to be : else my bank account is going to hate me.

Scooby Fan - Lol I can see where you are coming from now, I would never want to do anything to my car that would make it less classy. I'm fairly new to the whole modding car scene so I'm not sure what flys and what doesn't yet :-P

BigTDogg (MA) - Thank you, I will look for a brush on kit once I decide on the color.

blongo804 - Must have missed it :-P

bmx045 - Thanks I will check them out once I decide on the color.

F1inspiredLGT - Those look really good, nice and clean. Although I do agree with fx4me that they blend in a bit too well. But then again silver might look weird with silver wheels. I will have to wait for the photoshops to decide.

fx4me - Thank you, do you have OEM or silver wheels? any pics of what it looks like, I'm really considering silver now, just need to get an idea fo what it would look like.

Thanks again guys,

Mario

fx4me - Thank you, do you have OEM or silver wheels? any pics of what it looks like, I'm really considering silver now, just need to get an idea fo what it would look like.

This is the best I can do while I'm here at work. Had it on my phone, but there was terrible yellow lighting that night.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/woodyguy791/photo3.jpg

F1inspiredLGT - Those look really good, nice and clean. Although I do agree with fx4me that they blend in a bit too well. But then again silver might look weird with silver wheels. I will have to wait for the photoshops to decide.

This is why I went with Black, if I went with silver it would have been overkill since my car is silver with silver rims.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Silver IMO the "stock" look is clean, black is good too, im not a fan of showing off my stock calipers so not red, but that's just my opinion.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Alright I'm going to put my neck out on this one.

You have 2 options. Reserved look, or a bit flashier. Although I don't even think the flashy option given here is that flashy.

Reserved: Black. Classy and clean.

Flashy: Yellow. There's something about that classic bronze with a bright yellow accent that really works for me. I don't know why, but both colors really bring themselves out. Just my opinion though

In all honesty, red, black, yellow, and even silver will look great. Silver's just a turn off for me as it just blends in with the rim and rotor.

Archived