LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

i'm about to lose my mind with my new(to me...) acura. soft spongy brake pedal. bled the brakes manually, powered and changed master cylinder(with a junk yard part). ABS is working fine when i slam on the brakes, the pedal firms up when i pump them up both when the car is and isn't running, and doesn't fall back to the floor...gotta be the master cylinder...right?

So, in case anyone cares about this...

Took it to a former honda/acura master tech...he bled the brakes and got a couple of bubbles out that i wasn't able to, but the brakes were still acting the same. he bled the master cylinder again while it was on the car, then bled again and got it all smooth, and same thing--no change. so, he came to the conclusion(same one that i was kind of dreading)--ABS module.

luckily i picked one of them up at the junk yard last time i was there, so theoretically that should work and get the brakes back to how they should be...fingies crossed. dropping that off with him this evening, and we'll see how she do.

Was the ABS module making a loud buzzing sound?

sometimes when activating the ABS but not every time. he and i both agreed that it kinda felt like just the back brakes were doing the stopping when the pedal wasn't pumped so that lead us down that path too.

^ I have a feeling, I still think it's the rubber brake line. Since you got another ABS module. I would swap out the rubber brake lines out with braided steel lines before you swap out the ABS module.

Well--we swapped out the ABS module and it was *better* but not 100%. took apart the calipers and cleaned up and re-lubed the slide pins and that brought it to 100. can't tell you how many times i've had those calipers off and completely missed that part, but such is life. ABS module and master cylinder were still dead(i guess 180k mile old brake fluid will do that...), so is what it is. i may still end up doing the brake lines down the road, but for the moment i'm leaving them as is because the car *actually stops* now, so i'm happy.

time to retire the leggy from daily duties and make her a fun car as she should be.

My car was parked in a cool location, tires slightly turned, with the sun shining so perfectly on it. Would have been great for a photo op - But the car looks like shit.. lmao! Dirty and dull, dings, scratches, water stains, slobber windows. you name it. sigh... I'll get my shit together one of these weekends.

I have come to the decision to buy a 2020 Crosstrek and sell the LGT. I'm preparing to order the Xtrek for pickup in January or February so now I'm starting to think about what I want to pull off of the LGT to sell.

It has been a hard decision. I really like the LGT, but ultimately for me it is a compromise of capability, fun, fast, not too expensive, comfort, and professional looking. The safety of the Eyesight impressed me more than I thought it would, and the remote start with climate control via Starlink will be really nice when it's been parked in the sun all day. I won't miss black leather seats.

I'll be interested to see if I miss the stick shift and passing power. The Crosstrek I test drove was certainly adequate but slow.

I have come to the decision to buy a 2020 Crosstrek and sell the LGT. I'm preparing to order the Xtrek for pickup in January or February so now I'm starting to think about what I want to pull off of the LGT to sell.

It has been a hard decision. I really like the LGT, but ultimately for me it is a compromise of capability, fun, fast, not too expensive, comfort, and professional looking. The safety of the Eyesight impressed me more than I thought it would, and the remote start with climate control via Starlink will be really nice when it's been parked in the sun all day. I won't miss black leather seats.

I'll be interested to see if I miss the stick shift and passing power. The Crosstrek I test drove was certainly adequate but slow.

I would be sure that the Lane keep Assist can still be turned off, should be on the steering wheel, I HATE it on our OB.

Love the adaptive cruise, blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alert as well as the Eye Sight. Wouldn't have a vehicle without these.

Enjoy the Xtrek.

The brake fluid never been changed ever? That must of been pure pitch black sludge :eek:

yeah it was uh...not...great. pretty sure it was more water than brake fluid at that point. everything else had been taken care of, but dad's a firm believer of if you're not having brake problems don't touch the damn brakes. so it never got changed.

Edited by creep_nu

I would be sure that the Lane keep Assist can still be turned off, should be on the steering wheel, I HATE it on our OB.

Love the adaptive cruise, blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alert as well as the Eye Sight. Wouldn't have a vehicle without these.

Enjoy the Xtrek.

You can still turn it off. It will be the same as our 2019 Forester. I actually don't mind it. Depending on the trim, you may have the LED steerable headlights, and those are awesome. I miss Eyesight when I get into the GT. :)

You can still turn it off. It will be the same as our 2019 Forester. I actually don't mind it. Depending on the trim, you may have the LED steerable headlights, and those are awesome. I miss Eyesight when I get into the GT. :)

Yeah I made sure of that. I don't think I'll hate it, but it's hard to be sure. The auto stop-start is another unknown since I test drove a 2019. The trek will be more of an appliance to me, so I plan to strive to be more apathetic about that stuff than I have been about the LGT.

Yeah I made sure of that. I don't think I'll hate it, but it's hard to be sure. The auto stop-start is another unknown since I test drove a 2019. The trek will be more of an appliance to me, so I plan to strive to be more apathetic about that stuff than I have been about the LGT.

The auto start-stop is a bit weird to get used to. If I remember, I'll shut it off with the button, but it does not bug my wife. You kinda learn to let up on the brake at a stoplight to fire the engine back up if you don't want it to shut off.

There is a member on the Forester forum that has come up with a harness that basically pushes the override button after every startup automatically. Since ours is a lease I'm not messing with it.

I am finally catching up on the forum after a couple weeks today. I have had a really busy stressful last couple weeks, dealing with my girlfriend greedy ex-husband dragging her into court. In going over her records, I found some money that he never paid her in the divorce settlement and he omitted and manipulated his income. (Town employee who's records are public) I think we have some legal recourse, I just have find a lawyer for help. The guy is playing stupid games, I am going to make sure that he wins some stupid prizes. We already waste one full day at court and I include his lawyer with any correspondence with lawyer.

Anyways, I have been slowly working my 2011 Red GT in my detached garage even though its cold out. I have been using a bullet heater. It has been therapeutic to go in the garage and wrench on it. The biggest issue is that it has been so cold, that really can't clean up the parts I have been removing.

The auto start-stop is a bit weird to get used to. If I remember, I'll shut it off with the button, but it does not bug my wife. You kinda learn to let up on the brake at a stoplight to fire the engine back up if you don't want it to shut off.

There is a member on the Forester forum that has come up with a harness that basically pushes the override button after every startup automatically. Since ours is a lease I'm not messing with it.

Yeah if it stops spinning the AC compressor during the summer here I'll get really heated. (sorry, not sorry) But I think that I read somewhere that on max AC it won't stop. My boss's F150 does that, so he made turning it off a habit on startup. I already downloaded the manuals and guides and have been working on becoming an expert before I even pick up the car.

Also, the folks on the Crosstrek forum sure do spend a lot of energy worrying about the required 0w-20 oil and voiding their warranty.

Yeah if it stops spinning the AC compressor during the summer here I'll get really heated. (sorry, not sorry) But I think that I read somewhere that on max AC it won't stop. My boss's F150 does that, so he made turning it off a habit on startup. I already downloaded the manuals and guides and have been working on becoming an expert before I even pick up the car.

Also, the folks on the Crosstrek forum sure do spend a lot of energy worrying about the required 0w-20 oil and voiding their warranty.

If it is working to keep the temp inside, it’s less likely to shut off. All in all, I think you will really like it. I wanted a loaded Crosstrek, but my wife wanted more room, so we went with the Forester. It’s nice, but I liked the smaller Crosstrek more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyways, I have been slowly working my 2011 Red GT in my detached garage even though its cold out. I have been using a bullet heater. It has been therapeutic to go in the garage and wrench on it. The biggest issue is that it has been so cold, that really can't clean up the parts I have been removing.

Sorry to hear about your last couple weeks. Does not sound like fun.

Your bullet/torpedo comment reminds me of growing up with an uninsulated old chicken shed that we poured a concrete for in for a garage. Those heaters made all the difference. Hope you get a warm-ish day soon so you can get things cleaned up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am finally catching up on the forum after a couple weeks today. I have had a really busy stressful last couple weeks, dealing with my girlfriend greedy ex-husband dragging her into court. In going over her records, I found some money that he never paid her in the divorce settlement and he omitted and manipulated his income. (Town employee who's records are public) I think we have some legal recourse, I just have find a lawyer for help. The guy is playing stupid games, I am going to make sure that he wins some stupid prizes. We already waste one full day at court and I include his lawyer with any correspondence with lawyer.

Wait....what red GT?

Wait....what red GT?

I picked up a RRP 2011 GT 6 weeks ago with what appears to be a burnt valve on #4. I probably should start a thread on it. When I split my charge pipe on my SWP '12 GT at the track, I already had the deal in place, my heart sank when I thought that I might be doing 2 LGT motor pulls...

What a busy weekend...

1. AE86 got a new HKS cat-back, fixed the coolant leak (from the T-stat housing). I may need to rebuild the calipers next, there locked. I don't think I can find another one.

2. Paint the new shop bathroom.

3. Move ITR wheels and a Subaru Legacy wheel from my house to the new shop (still need to move some more). Organizing allot of car parts in my house.

4. Cleaned the basement and Attic. Basement bathroom renovation is starting in the next few hour with demolition and jack hammering the slab.

5. Got an email stating, Me, wife and our son is booked for a 7 day cruise in March. I looked into it we are booked with a Balcony state room. Found out my mother booked us the cruise as a family with all my sibling, nephew, niece, and parents. My wife was "HELL YEAH FREE Cruise!" lol.

IMG_1798.thumb.JPG.442c94bef3b3ff857c6fd0add1bd22f1.JPG

IMG_1799.thumb.JPG.d3960d145ffa956b2ee4ffe7a4c70dbe.JPG

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.7871559702db431b93330d4d69eec852.JPG

Edited by amusa

What a busy weekend...

1. AE86 got a new HKS cat-back, fixed the coolant leak (from the T-stat housing). I may need to rebuild the calipers next, there locked. I don't think I can find another one.

Wow, HKS still makes an exhaust for AE86? I had an 1985 Supra and I bought one of the last remaining HKS catback exhausts for it back in 1996 or so.